Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2020, 07:00 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,800,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
This is all I ask for! Just this break to breath and recharge!. Wonderful day even though its raining. We're like at least a month away from 60s and no rain during the day.

I'm trying to find out when it was in the 60s at 2pm. Man this feels good!

It's in the 40s just 4000' above our heads. Between that and the clouds it's helping keep the surface cool. Also the NE winds off the ocean.

I'm hoping we get these "tastes" of fall once a week moving forward now.

Very weird, it was 60's where you were but Montreal and Quebec City were 80.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2020, 07:02 PM

30,200 posts, read 20,929,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
Have you not had any rain?
If you can read it is clear i have not any rain in Aug while most anyplace just inland has had rain thanks to a never ending west flow thanks to a stuck ridge axis south of the Tampa area. Something you won't understand living 10 k miles away on a island that gets more rain than i do.

I did call for a record dry summer last winter and anything i call out is always right.

Total of under 5" since June 13th. We need a CAT5 to make things fun.

Old 08-16-2020, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbelievehim View Post
108f Fresno 4pm
No one's going to believe me (cbach and firebird might)
But it honestly doesn't feel that bad. There's a lot of high elevation cloud cover and a bit of a breeze.
It's WARM, but not brutally hot. If I wanted to sit outside on the patio to drink some cold beer or have a smoke, I easily could. I could also get a little work done, too(i actually need to finish a project, I think I will)
I hope the other hot days are like this :/ but I don't like the chances
Today was 105 and I just finished weed wacking, is 100 now. It is plenty hot today.

SF was 93 yesterday, 85 today and 80 tomorrow. Probably the longest >80 stretch they've had all year.

Old 08-16-2020, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeppelin171 View Post
It's cool to experience and all, but even with the little bit of rain we're still a tinderbox getting struck by lightning. Combine that with the wind and it doesn't bode well for fires, there's already several that have started

Is there something that makes this situation different than other heatwaves? Air temps are usually much higher than the ocean during heatwaves here. Being from the bay area I'm pretty unfamiliar with thunderstorm formation
I lived in California. Right along the coast it is not uncommon to have dense fog that sometimes produces drizzle in the mornings, almost each morning. Sometimes it's weird driving, you get the sun beating in above the marine layer but there is a mist from the low clouds (fog). It will burn off. SF was 85 today, currently 79 and sunny.

The thunderstorms are simply a facet of the fact that rising air on a mountain range can produce a thunderstorm. Lake Tahoe gets them a lot and those thunder strikes were all in the Diablos and Coastal Mountain ranges. No moisture made it past the Diablos. Sacramento was sunny and 109.

This is just because of the intense heat. With that kind of heat any instability can cause cloud formation and a thunderstorm. There was slightly more humidity than normal in the air so with rising air on the mountain, that's all it needed.

Was the amount just a trace or a measurable amount? If it was measurable this was definitely a unique event.

Old 08-16-2020, 07:26 PM

2,859 posts, read 1,944,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Today was 105 and I just finished weed wacking, is 100 now. It is plenty hot today.

SF was 93 yesterday, 85 today and 80 tomorrow. Probably the longest >80 stretch they've had all year.

111f 56f dewpoint 15mpg wind(with some decent gusts)
Record broken here I'm going to go outside to see how bad it really feels
Edit; If this wind keeps up, it's going to blow every bit of pollution towards Visalia, lol. Eeek

Austin international 104(might have hit 105, but it's not listed on the website) 65f dewpoint
Not too bad

Last edited by dontbelievehim; 08-16-2020 at 08:19 PM..

Old 08-16-2020, 08:10 PM

735 posts, read 650,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
I lived in California. Right along the coast it is not uncommon to have dense fog that sometimes produces drizzle in the mornings, almost each morning. Sometimes it's weird driving, you get the sun beating in above the marine layer but there is a mist from the low clouds (fog). It will burn off. SF was 85 today, currently 79 and sunny.

The thunderstorms are simply a facet of the fact that rising air on a mountain range can produce a thunderstorm. Lake Tahoe gets them a lot and those thunder strikes were all in the Diablos and Coastal Mountain ranges. No moisture made it past the Diablos. Sacramento was sunny and 109.

This is just because of the intense heat. With that kind of heat any instability can cause cloud formation and a thunderstorm. There was slightly more humidity than normal in the air so with rising air on the mountain, that's all it needed.

Was the amount just a trace or a measurable amount? If it was measurable this was definitely a unique event.
Thanks for the info! I recently learned that it was a unique event, due to the moisture from a tropical storm making it up to the bay area and interacting with the hot air. I think we got about .1" of rain.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abc7new...austo/6373104/

Old 08-16-2020, 08:20 PM

29,406 posts, read 19,492,383 times
Furnace Creek in Death Valley reached 130F/54.4C

Old 08-16-2020, 08:25 PM

2,859 posts, read 1,944,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbelievehim View Post
111f 56f dewpoint 15mpg wind(with some decent gusts)
Record broken here I'm going to go outside to see how bad it really feels
Edit; If this wind keeps up, it's going to blow every bit of pollution towards Visalia, lol. Eeek

Austin international 104(might have hit 105, but it's not listed on the website) 65f dewpoint
Not too bad
18mph wind @6pm. Yep. It's about to get ugly in Visalia. They're getting all the smoke tonite

High in Fresno was 112! Heat index 110
It looked like 109 was going to be the max but the warm wind put an end to that.
Last 110 heat index since 2017, but this one actually felt 10x better than the last one, so I can't be too angry.

Edit: chicagogeorge would have enjoyed today. Howdy.

Old 08-16-2020, 08:45 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,067,174 times
98 was the highest at the airport today tying the daily record from 1967.

https://twitter.com/NWSSeattle/statu...71526677811201

Old 08-16-2020, 08:53 PM

26,379 posts, read 46,272,694 times
82 degrees for the high temperature here, low temperature of 58 degrees tonight. Any lows above 70 degrees are over for the rest of the season here, not a day too soon. The warmest low temperature for the next 10 days is 61 degrees. I'm just under 900 ft elevation north of the Ohio River- makes a big difference getting some nice radiatonal cooling outside the horrid urban heat island of Louisville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather