Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which climate do you prefer?
Uncomfortable, boring, and/or dreary climate but no floods, no hurricanes, no tornadoes, no blizzards, etc. 5 38.46%
A comfortable, interesting climate that has floods, hurricanes, oe tornadoes. 8 61.54%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2020, 10:58 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,183,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Really? What about those terrible tornadoes that ravaged your part of the state just this year?
The odds are low doesn't mean they're zero. Nevertheless, the percentage of people who lose their lives to extreme weather is very low, especially with modern weather forecasting and building techniques. The odds you'll lose your house/suffer major property damage due to extreme weather even in Tornado Alley is low, probably less than a percent over a lifetime. The vast majority of people will suffer nothing worse than a couple times where they lose some roof shingles during their life and a few hours' worth of power outages every year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2020, 01:12 PM

2,916 posts, read 2,005,605 times
Not long ago, a Local TV station interviewed two families who'd left for Texas in a short span here(they left inland California for Texas)

First couple had their house completely destroyed by a tornado in rural Texas. Nothing left.

Second couple lived near corpus Christi (south of it?) And their house had bad damage from a hurricane.

All of this happened in a 3 month period.

Yeah, I'll take boring, safe weather, and low insurance rates. Thank you.

Last edited by dontbelievehim; 05-10-2020 at 01:25 PM..

Old 05-10-2020, 01:55 PM

2,916 posts, read 2,005,605 times
This is comfortable to you, jester? Seattle and inland CA don't seem too bad and uncomfortable after reading this.

"Exact same situation, here are our facts:

-Lived in Houston or as we called it, the 6th circle of hell, for 20 years. Floods, hurricanes, 70 inches of rain, humidity high enough to make god sweat. AC running 11 months out of the year and brother...I mean RUNNING. $500-600 dollar electric bills were the norm.

-Moved to Dallas 7 years ago. Also terrible weather wise. This place is constantly trying to kill you with softball size hail which blew up my car, my house was hit my one of the damn near weekly lightning storms which did $10k damage, Tornado sirens frequently enough to give you PTSD. Property Taxes doubled in the last 5 years. Our $320k house started off at around $5k a year in property taxes....it's now $10k every year. Just brutal. Our Property insurance went from $900 to $2400 thanks to all the natural disasters in the last 10 years in Texas.

We finally said enough. Listed our house in DFW, sold it and are moving to Phoenix in a few weeks."

Old 05-11-2020, 03:36 AM

215 posts, read 106,220 times
My climate is literally the definition of safe, but dreary and blehhh. We don't get any hurricanes, wild fires, flooding, tornadoes or other massive storms. Blizzards are actually quite rare too. No earthquakes or volcanoes either. (although those are not exactly weather related)

The worst we get are Atlantic cyclones that maybe bring winds of 30 mph?? And once every other year maybe a stronger thunder storm.

But I still hate this climate. Most of the year is too cold for my liking. And there is always an annoying breeze, that makes the temps feel even colder than they are. Basically you always have to worry about feeling cold, even in the summer months during cooler spells. I honestly find that more annoying than the slim chance of my home being damaged by extreme weather.

Old 05-11-2020, 04:12 AM

11,655 posts, read 12,953,701 times
Uncomfortable, boring, and/or dreary climate but no floods, no hurricanes, no tornadoes, no blizzards, etc.

But I'm not sure how that is "uncomfortable"?

Old 05-11-2020, 12:17 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,962,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
Uncomfortable, boring, and/or dreary climate but no floods, no hurricanes, no tornadoes, no blizzards, etc.

But I'm not sure how that is "uncomfortable"?
Let me be clear. I'm talking about physical comfort, not psychological comfort. Sure, you have a peace of mind when you live in a safe but boring climate like what the poster from Estonia just described. But I'm talking about physical comfort.

Let me give you my own example. LA and San Diego have no hurricanes and very rare, minor tornadoes and flooding, if any, in a given year. No blizzards, no damaging hail or damaging ice. The only potential problem is a landslide or a wildfire but those are rare, isolated, and occur only in the very fringe of the built up area.

But that doesn't mean LA and San Diego don't have uncomfortable weather. In the inland parts of Southern California during the winter and autumn you often have very strong, very dry, very warm winds that kick up a lot of dust and pollen, leading to allergies, dry itchy skin, and nosebleeds. It feels like being in a giant blow dryer.

Not even the windiest winter day in Oklahoma City can come close to.the amount of discomfort of the Santa Ana winds.

Old 05-11-2020, 12:56 PM

2,850 posts, read 1,970,576 times
I live in the heart of Tornado Alley, and while I'd like it if we had less tornadoes, it's not so bad I feel unsafe living here. Severe weather influences my rating of a climate somewhat, but I'd still take a place like Oklahoma City or Kansas City over a place with less interesting weather like Dublin.

Old 05-11-2020, 01:17 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,962,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srfoskey View Post
I live in the heart of Tornado Alley, and while I'd like it if we had less tornadoes, it's not so bad I feel unsafe living here. Severe weather influences my rating of a climate somewhat, but I'd still take a place like Oklahoma City or Kansas City over a place with less interesting weather like Dublin.
I'm right around the corner from you! Currently living in Mustang. Born and raised in Southern California, the epitome of boring but safe weather.

I'm surprised at how pleasant OKC weather is, property damage and life threatening disasters aside. Aside from tornadoes, there's some windy days but they're a joke compare to the 80 mph gusts called Santa Ana winds you'd sometimes get in the fall and winter in inland Southern California. They're nasty, they're very warm and very dry, they make you itchy all over, your hands and lips crack and bleed, you get nose bleeds and allergies. Basically like walking in a giant blow dryer.

Have you even used heating this last winter? This last winter in OKC was so nice that if you were willing to have an indoor temp of 60 degrees you wouldn't need the heater at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather