Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2020, 01:12 PM

2,651 posts, read 3,406,093 times

Advertisements

I've found this epic YouTube channel lecturing the basic concept of climatology with numerous neat visual graphs. The author explains the climate zone divided into 12 types in a big picture. I think it's an excellent source that can be shared with your family, friends, or acquaintance to make them easily understand and friendly approaching to discuss our interests in climate.

<Land Areas>

#12 Subtropical Highland
Spoiler

#11 Oceanic
Spoiler

#10 Mediterranean
Spoiler

#9 Tropical Rainforest
Spoiler

#8 Tundra
Spoiler

#7 Humid Subtropical
Spoiler

#6 Continental
Spoiler

#5 Cool Desert
Spoiler

#4 Ice Cap
Spoiler

#3 Subarctic
Spoiler

#2 Tropical Monsoon & Savannah
Spoiler

#1 Hot Desert
Spoiler

Land Area by each Köppen climate classification

*Note: Cfb (Oceanic: 2,300,000 km2[1.53%] &amp; Subtropical Highland: 620,000 km2[0.41%])
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2020, 01:14 PM

<Population>

#12 Ice Cap
Spoiler

#11 Tundra
Spoiler

#10 Subarctic
Spoiler

#9 Tropical Rainforest
Spoiler

#8 Oceanic
Spoiler

#7 Subtropical Highland
Spoiler

#6 Cool Desert
Spoiler

#5 Mediterranean
Spoiler

#4 Continental
Spoiler

#3 Hot Desert
Spoiler

#2 Tropical Monsoon & Savannah
Spoiler

#1 Humid Subtropical
Spoiler

Population by each Köppen climate classification

*Note: Cfb (Oceanic: 271,500,000[3.61%] &amp; Subtropical Highland: 60,500,000[0.80%])

Old 05-10-2020, 01:15 PM

<Habitability / Density>

#12 Ice Cap
Spoiler

#11 Tundra
Spoiler

#10 Subarctic
Spoiler

#9 Cool Desert
Spoiler

#8 Hot Desert
Spoiler

#7 Tropical Rainforest
Spoiler

#6 Continental
Spoiler

#5 Tropical Monsoon & Savannah
Spoiler

#4 Oceanic
Spoiler

#3 Mediterranean
Spoiler

#2 Subtropical Highland
Spoiler

#1 Humid Subtropical
Spoiler

Density by each Köppen climate classification

Note: Cfb (Oceanic: 118/km2 &amp; Subtropical Highland: 98/km2)

Old 05-10-2020, 01:16 PM

<Secrets of World Climate Series>

Introduction

Episode 1: Tropical Rainforest

Episode 2: Tropical Monsoons & Savannahs

Episode 3: Subtropical Highlands

Episode 4: Hot Deserts

Episode 5: Humid Subtropical

Episode 6: Mediterranean

Episode 7: Oceanic

Episode 8: Cool Deserts

Episode 9: Continental

Episode 10: Sub-Arctic

Episode 11: Tundra

Episode 12: Icecap

Themes - A Journey through Earth's Climate Zones

Old 05-10-2020, 01:17 PM

<Seasons>

Quote:
"For readability, I have grouped similar zones together or omitted rare or isolated ones.
This list shows the most important and distinct zones, starting at the equator at the top and finishing at the pole at the bottom of the page.
For each zone I have depicted the change in temperature across the year in a colour spectrum, from red as the hottest to purple as the coldest.
Below each temperature progression is a progression of precipitation, with rain in blue, snow in white, and intensity of such precipitation as proportional shading.
These patterns are for the northern hemisphere and will anturally be reversed for the southern.
Up top we see the unchanging single hot and wet season of the Tropical Rainforest.
Next we see the change in rainfall across the year in the Tropical Monsoon and Savannah climates, and a slight bump in temperature just before the wet season.
After this we see the unique Subtropical Highland climate, where temperatures are reduced due to altitude.
Note that there is a form of this climate where the rain is constant year round, but is not shown here.
Then we come to the Hot Desert, where there is little to no rain, but intensely hot conditions in summer.
We then have the unique three season climate of the Subtropical Monsoon - a mild dry winter, then a short and very hot dry summer, followed by hot wet season.
As we move into the mid latitudes, we get our first cool winter temperatures in the Humid Subtropical, followed by the unique dry summer / wet winter pattern of the Mediterranean climate zones.
This latter, together with its westerly ocean facing sibling, the Oceanic, demonstrate mild temperature ranges from winter to summer.
By contrast the Continental climate zones that follow show much more extreme temperature ranges, with subdivisions of these being the cool deserts, with absence of rain, Humid Continental, where we see snow and rain defining seasonal precipitation and Continental Monsoon, where this pattern is varied by an absence of winter precipitation.
The final continental climate of the Subarctic is then seen with extreme temperature ranges featuring very cold winters yet warm summers.
As we reach the poles, freezing temperatures dominate with only a brief cool summer in the tundra bringing any respite to these forbidding lands."

Old 05-10-2020, 01:38 PM

6,354 posts, read 7,759,280 times
Well done. Thank you.

Edited to add: Excellent videos. This thread has become a sticky, at least for now, so that it won't get buried in the archives in the weeks to come.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Last edited by volosong; 05-10-2020 at 01:58 PM..

Old 07-08-2020, 09:04 PM

2 posts, read 15,459 times
Perhaps my favorite youtube channel. And I've seen literally hundreds of youtube channels to the point I'd remember their name. No joke I've watched every one of his climate videos several times now.

Old 08-07-2020, 03:30 PM

927 posts, read 585,638 times
I tried posting this on Reddit and got kicked. Nobody knew what I was talking about. It's sad nobody reads anymore. All I see are memes and videos now with little in the way of words. It's a literal parallel to the movie Idiocracy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather