U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2020, 02:47 PM

15 posts, read 8,322 times

Advertisements

I'm also curious about places not in the US but US cities are my priority interest. I lived in SC and now live in CO. I love the dry climate here, humidity is brutal for me. But I totally miss my summer thunderstorms in SC, as it seems to barely rain where I am and has never even hinted at storming.

I'm also curious what would (or could) cause a combination such as this. I don't know much of the cause/effect of weather systems so I'm curious to know more.

Thanks everyone!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2020, 03:24 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,152,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarrm View Post
I'm also curious about places not in the US but US cities are my priority interest. I lived in SC and now live in CO. I love the dry climate here, humidity is brutal for me. But I totally miss my summer thunderstorms in SC, as it seems to barely rain where I am and has never even hinted at storming.

I'm also curious what would (or could) cause a combination such as this. I don't know much of the cause/effect of weather systems so I'm curious to know more.

Thanks everyone!
Humidity and thunderstorms often go hand in hand with one another. May I ask where in Colorado? I’ve heard that Denver Colorado gets some spectacular thunderstorms at times during the monsoon season in the southwest. And I think everyone knows Denver lacks humidity. So Denver might be a good place for some summer thunderstorms where it also lacks the humidity that places east of the Rockies tend to sweat through.

Old 05-14-2020, 03:36 PM

7,642 posts, read 12,245,707 times
How long have you lived in Denver? We don't get soaking rains, but scattered afternoon thunderstorms are fairly common in the warmer months (May-September/October). We had a very brief one pass over our house in Southeast Aurora earlier today, and I see clouds building to the west again.

Old 05-14-2020, 03:43 PM

1,536 posts, read 658,683 times
Monterrey, Mexico?
I think high elevation spots might be the only places to fit that bill.

Old 05-14-2020, 04:01 PM

15 posts, read 8,322 times
Replying to some of you asking where, I live in Boulder. Which isn't that far from denver so I'd imagine the weather wouldn't be super different. Unless our closeness to the mountain's base would affect the weather patterns a lot. We've gotten a few drizzles here, but usually it's a quick moving rain and some hail maybe, but nothing too intense.

Old 05-14-2020, 04:18 PM

7,642 posts, read 12,245,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarrm View Post
Replying to some of you asking where, I live in Boulder. Which isn't that far from denver so I'd imagine the weather wouldn't be super different. Unless our closeness to the mountain's base would affect the weather patterns a lot. We've gotten a few drizzles here, but usually it's a quick moving rain and some hail maybe, but nothing too intense.
The thunderstorms tend to develop along the continental divide, and then they move eastward onto the plains. Occasionally there are some gnarly storms in the western burbs and Boulder, but they typically don't intensify until they get east of I-25.

Old 05-14-2020, 05:11 PM

4,872 posts, read 3,311,516 times
Not a city per se, but Norther Washington in the highlands can get quite a bit of dry thunderstorms, it’s what usually triggers our forest fires.

Old 05-14-2020, 05:13 PM

1,202 posts, read 2,080,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbelievehim View Post
Monterrey, Mexico?
I think high elevation spots might be the only places to fit that bill.
Monterrey has hot and humid summers

Old 05-14-2020, 06:03 PM

460 posts, read 126,187 times
No thunderstorms in Boulder? Almost half of the days in June and July should have them.
They're fun killer for nearby Rocky Mountains National Park, trouble for hiking. CO has almost the highest number of thunderstorm deaths in the whole US.
I rather not experience another thunderstorm ever again.

Old 05-14-2020, 07:42 PM

30,492 posts, read 23,884,470 times
There are some areas at high elevation in WNC where the humidity gets cut down by altitude that still have storms, but they probably have higher than average annual precipitation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather