Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Tacoma vs. Orlando
Tacoma 34 72.34%
Orlando 13 27.66%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2020, 11:45 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,377,272 times

Advertisements

Orlando
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2020, 01:38 AM

3,433 posts, read 3,752,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
This poll is another example of city data vs real life. In real life, there is little doubt that people prefer the weather of Orlando to Tacoma. Snowbirds are retiring in Florida much more often than they are in Puget Sound, even though Florida has higher property taxes and can be quite expensive. It's because snowbirds clearly think Florida has better weather than Washington State.
Wow, your cause and effect radar is way off...if the results don't match your opinion, ignore it!!!

Quote:
Maybe because even Arizona has better weather than Puget Sound.

Eastern Washington is cheap. Why don't more snowbirds flock to Eastern Washington instead of Florida?
There are a couple reasons. One Eastern Washington is rather isolated. Major airports are far away. A second reason, there is this thing called Hanford. Look it up.

Old 05-17-2020, 07:00 AM

460 posts, read 232,156 times
I wish every climate out there had a disclosure on biting bugs, as it's a big part of the package (and cockroaches and termites).
Many parts of the Southeastern US are the bug paradise.

Home insurance I think is going to be about 3 times higher in Orlando than in Tacoma due to climate (hurricanes, tornados...by the way, not sure about sinkholes in Orlando, most of FL is plagued by them and one has to buy expensive rider for insurance). WA does have some of the lowest home insurance rates in the nation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
There are a couple reasons. One Eastern Washington is rather isolated. Major airports are far away. A second reason, there is this thing called Hanford.
I never considered Hanford to be a problem for Northwestern WA (and NE WA, which is kind of directly downwind if one assumes winds mostly blowing West->East, is more of an agricultural or barren type of place not being popular for relocation anyway). Is it?

Old 05-17-2020, 08:52 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,960,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by landlock View Post
I wish every climate out there had a disclosure on biting bugs, as it's a big part of the package (and cockroaches and termites).
Many parts of the Southeastern US are the bug paradise.

Home insurance I think is going to be about 3 times higher in Orlando than in Tacoma due to climate (hurricanes, tornados...by the way, not sure about sinkholes in Orlando, most of FL is plagued by them and one has to buy expensive rider for insurance). WA does have some of the lowest home insurance rates in the nation.
Yes, home insurance is more expensive in Orlando due to hurricanes. That means that retirees aren't flocking to Orlando necessarily because it's cheaper than Puget Sound or the Willamette Valley. They're flocking to Orlando because it's sunnier than the Puget Sound.

And also, Orlando very seldom receives flooding. Many people don't know that so they voted Tacoma.

Old 05-17-2020, 10:45 AM

480 posts, read 316,724 times
Neither.

Binary options are too artificial for me to participate in.

The Southwest for me, thank you very much.

Old 05-17-2020, 12:19 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,738,957 times
Quote:
They're flocking to Orlando because it's sunnier than the Puget Sound.

And also, Orlando very seldom receives flooding. Many people don't know that so they voted Tacoma.
1) Anywhere in the lower 48 is sunnier than the Puget Sound region so that argument doesn't hold.

2) I've never heard anyone talk about Orlando flooding so not sure where you are even getting that from. Coastal locations like Miami yes but Orlando? Nope.

Old 05-17-2020, 01:27 PM

30,432 posts, read 21,248,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffydelusions View Post
1) Anywhere in the lower 48 is sunnier than the Puget Sound region so that argument doesn't hold.

2) I've never heard anyone talk about Orlando flooding so not sure where you are even getting that from. Coastal locations like Miami yes but Orlando? Nope.
Parts of any city can flood. So many have been over built it has caused flooding with heavy burst of rain.

Old 05-17-2020, 01:42 PM

2,850 posts, read 1,970,576 times
While I like that Orlando gets more interesting weather, I don't want to deal with its six month summers, so I'm voting for Tacoma.

Old 05-17-2020, 02:02 PM

30,432 posts, read 21,248,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srfoskey View Post
While I like that Orlando gets more interesting weather, I don't want to deal with its six month summers, so I'm voting for Tacoma.
More like 9 months the last 9 years.

Old 05-17-2020, 02:20 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,738,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Parts of any city can flood. So many have been over built it has caused flooding with heavy burst of rain.
Oh for sure I'm just saying generally speaking no one really has a fear of Orlando flooding like coastal locations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather