U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Wellington's climate: Is it more like Paris or Sydney?
Paris 5 31.25%
Sydney 11 68.75%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2020, 04:54 PM

575 posts, read 137,339 times

Advertisements

To me Wellington is definitely more like Sydney than Paris. Wellington is the least continental of the three and Paris the most continental, which would place Wellington closer to Sydney than Paris. I'd also tend to place Wellington near the cool edge of a larger mild-warm winter "temperate" category with Sydney, but Paris in the cool-cold winter "temperate" category.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2020, 05:05 AM

10,666 posts, read 8,812,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
There's a big difference between an island in the middle of an ocean and a city on a continent, even if said continent faces west and is surrounded by seas.

Also I agree that Istanbul is more continental than Glasgow, I don't know how one can argue against that.
To be fair, Sydney CBD record low is just 2C, but down at the airport (which is also on the coast) it's 0.8C. That -8C was recorded 60km inland or so in Richmond, a western suburb. -6C was recorded 50km inland in Campbelltown. The record low in my place, just 30km inland, is -2C.

You're right. Maybe Glasgow was not a good example. But people have argued "more continental" when it came to colder oceanic/humid subtropical climates, even when certain Med climates have a higher yearly temperature range.

Old 05-28-2020, 03:07 AM

50 posts, read 6,016 times
Similar to neither.... totally different climatically so much so that comparisons are really hardly possible, other than 2 of the 3 are in the Southern Hemisphere.
Sydney 33.86*S
Wellington 41.28*S
Paris 48.85*N
Its like comparing chalk to cheese.....
As mentioned previously Sydney covers a huge area with some markedly different climate zones within the urban area... coastal, harbourside and inland to the foothills of the Blue Mountains. The 'official' BOM Site is at Observatory Hill on the shores of the Harbour, one of the mildest sites in the whole Sydney Basin. The BOM generally issues forecasts for the City and the Western Suburbs which can be up to +5c difference on a summers day and -2 to -3c difference ( colder ) on a winters day.
Hobart and Wellington would be a better comparison, both Koppen Cfb, although Hobart is considerably drier than Wellington, and prone to occasional heat from the mainland with +40c summer maximums not unheard of.
I'm struggling to think of an Aussie city with a climate similar to Paris.... nearest I can come up with is Ballarat in the Victorian central highlands ( modest altitude of 456m ASL [ 1427'] and at 37.56*S.

Old 05-28-2020, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greysrigging View Post
Similar to neither.... totally different climatically so much so that comparisons are really hardly possible, other than 2 of the 3 are in the Southern Hemisphere.
Sydney 33.86*S
Wellington 41.28*S
Paris 48.85*N
Its like comparing chalk to cheese.....
As mentioned previously Sydney covers a huge area with some markedly different climate zones within the urban area... coastal, harbourside and inland to the foothills of the Blue Mountains. The 'official' BOM Site is at Observatory Hill on the shores of the Harbour, one of the mildest sites in the whole Sydney Basin. The BOM generally issues forecasts for the City and the Western Suburbs which can be up to +5c difference on a summers day and -2 to -3c difference ( colder ) on a winters day.
Hobart and Wellington would be a better comparison, both Koppen Cfb, although Hobart is considerably drier than Wellington, and prone to occasional heat from the mainland with +40c summer maximums not unheard of.
I'm struggling to think of an Aussie city with a climate similar to Paris.... nearest I can come up with is Ballarat in the Victorian central highlands ( modest altitude of 456m ASL [ 1427'] and at 37.56*S.
They're way too alike. Paris and/or Sydney will have no chance.

Oberon is a bit similar to Paris but is cooler at nights and probably far sunnier:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oberon..._Wales#Climate

Old 05-28-2020, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post

Oberon is a bit similar to Paris but is cooler at nights and probably far sunnier:

TBH I had discounted Oberon merely for its altitude ( 1100m asl ) and the less than extreme heat days than Paris ( ie the +40c's ), although given the altitude of Oberon the +38's are impressive
But looking at the stats, yes, a reasonable comparison.
Mean yearly max and min temps for Oberon - 17.1c, 5.3c ( 11.2c )
Mean yearly max and min temps for Paris - 15.6c, 7.1c ( 11.35c )

Rainfall Mean - Oberon - 834.3mm.
Rainfall Mean - Paris - 637.0mm.
Bit wetter in Oberon as one would expect being located astride the great dividing ranges Central Tablelands.
Oberon is a better comparison to Paris climatically than my suggestion of Ballarat. ( although as any Aussie who has spent any time in either town will tell you, they are both cold miserable places in winter...lol )

Old 05-29-2020, 06:31 AM

Quote:
TBH I had discounted Oberon merely for its altitude ( 1100m asl ) and the less than extreme heat days than Paris ( ie the +40c's ), although given the altitude of Oberon the +38's are impressive
To be fair, Oberon's record high of 38C is not a far cry from Paris's 42C record.

Old 05-30-2020, 05:06 PM

Quote:
To be fair, Oberon's record high of 38C is not a far cry from Paris's 42C record.
Paris' 42.6c last July was an outstanding temp at 49*N. Oberon's altitude of 1100m ASL pretty well rules out such an extreme value, although the 38.6c earlier this year is also an outstanding record. A low altitude calc for that reading would be in the high 40's.... and in fact that is what occurred with 46.4c at Penrith and 46.8c at Richmond the same day ( 1st Feb ).

Old 05-31-2020, 03:28 AM

Quote:

Yeah, seems the point of this thread is to compare Wellington to two other not especially similar places (neither to Wellington nor each other) that are both Koppen C climates, not to find the most similar climate to Wellington elsewhere.

Old 05-31-2020, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisfbath View Post
Yeah, seems the point of this thread is to compare Wellington to two other not especially similar places (neither to Wellington nor each other) that are both Koppen C climates, not to find the most similar climate to Wellington elsewhere.
Fair comment.... neither of the 3 cities mentioned in the OP have the slightest similarity to one another in my opinion.....

Old 05-31-2020, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Fair comment.... neither of the 3 cities mentioned in the OP have the slightest similarity to one another in my opinion.....
Well I guess that's it's a matter of perspective, they're not especially similar but on a world scale they're fairly similar. Compared with say Wellington, Darwin and Turpan, or Wellington, Belem and Fairbanks, or Wellington, Mecca and Lima etc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather