U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Wellington's climate: Is it more like Paris or Sydney?
Paris 5 31.25%
Sydney 11 68.75%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2020, 02:12 AM

10,670 posts, read 8,819,501 times

Advertisements

Wellington is an oceanic climate like Paris, but would you say it's more akin to Sydney (humid subtropical) or Paris? I mean "genetically" and whatnot...

Wellington, NZ: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wellington#Climate

Sydney, AUS: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sydney#Climate
Paris, France: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris#Climate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2020, 03:05 AM

1,771 posts, read 318,962 times
Sydney.

Paris has a less bad climate than them.

Old 05-17-2020, 04:24 AM

124 posts, read 94,157 times
Definitely Paris.

In terms of temperature, the average annual temperature in Paris and Wellington is almost identical. Sydney's average low is still a full 2°C warmer than the mean annual temperature in Wellington.

In terms of precipitation, Sydney and Wellington are closer but in terms of precipitation days Paris and Wellington are closer, so this one is a draw.

Paris and Wellington are closer in terms of humidity, and in regard to sunshine hours.

Also, according Köppen Paris and Wellington share the same climate type, oceanic. While Sydney is subtropical.

Old 05-17-2020, 03:58 PM

34 posts, read 7,762 times
I would vote for Sydney. To me, Paris is "continental lite." Wellington is decidedly uncontinental, and it shares with Sydney the typical AU/NZ (really the entire southern hemisphere, but it's most extreme here) characteristic of coming very close to record temperatures very frequently, but never quite coming close enough to break them.

Very subjective analysis, obviously.

Old 05-17-2020, 06:11 PM

1,588 posts, read 894,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by East_Of_Eden View Post
I would vote for Sydney. To me, Paris is "continental lite." Wellington is decidedly uncontinental, and it shares with Sydney the typical AU/NZ (really the entire southern hemisphere, but it's most extreme here) characteristic of coming very close to record temperatures very frequently, but never quite coming close enough to break them.

Paris (on paper) is basically like a bit warmer version of London to me but I've never actually been to either place.

Old 05-22-2020, 12:37 PM

596 posts, read 85,519 times
I think Wellington is closer to Paris, because Wellington has no heat waves, unlike Sydney, and closer by temperatures to Paris.

Old 05-26-2020, 05:10 AM

10,670 posts, read 8,819,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by East_Of_Eden View Post

Interestingly, the Sydney region is actually slightly more continental than Wellington. The Sydney area has a record low of -8C (17F) and record high of 48C (118F).

In comparison, Wellington's lowest temperature is −1.1C (30F) and highest is just 30C (86F). Now if there are higher or lower temps recorded in the Wellington region, then please enlighten me (I would exclude mountainous areas though).

People tend to think if a place is cooler and has more chance of snow in winter, it's somehow "more" continental. I mean, Istanbul is more continental than Glasgow to me, but people will argue that the latter is more continental because of its cooler and longer winters.

Old 05-26-2020, 06:36 AM

2,464 posts, read 534,611 times
Paris

Old 05-26-2020, 06:50 AM

6,833 posts, read 4,124,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
Interestingly, the Sydney region is actually slightly more continental than Wellington. The Sydney area has a record low of -8C (17F) and record high of 48C (118F).

In comparison, Wellington's lowest temperature is −1.1C (30F) and highest is just 30C (86F). Now if there are higher or lower temps recorded in the Wellington region, then please enlighten me (I would exclude mountainous areas though).

People tend to think if a place is cooler and has more chance of snow in winter, it's somehow "more" continental. I mean, Istanbul is more continental than Glasgow to me, but people will argue that the latter is more continental because of its cooler and longer winters.

Wow I hadn't realized that Wellington's record high is only 30.1c. I mean Paris reaches 30c every summer, and that was the case even 40 years ago when the climate was cooler. Even Wellington's record low is baffling.

There's a big difference between an island in the middle of an ocean and a city on a continent, even if said continent faces west and is surrounded by seas.

Also I agree that Istanbul is more continental than Glasgow, I don't know how one can argue against that.

Old 05-26-2020, 10:39 AM

189 posts, read 44,284 times
Wellington is definitely closer to Paris. The real question is if Paris is gradually becoming more like Melbourne climatically. Do all those major heatwaves in western Europe in recent years look familiar?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather