Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2020, 04:10 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,214,588 times

Advertisements

Humid heat is light years superior to dry heat IMHO. In humid heat you know you’re losing water through sweating; in dry heat all or most sweat evaporates quickly, leading to a false sense of security through cooling your body down but at the expense of large amounts of body fluids.Also, humid heat oftentimes leads to afternoon showers and thunderstorms, something that rarely if ever happens with a dry heat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2020, 05:27 PM

30,432 posts, read 21,241,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartfordd View Post
How you know the difference between dry heat and humid heat without knowing the dew point, just by feeling ?
What’s the sensation when the temperature is 36°C with a 24°C dew point and 38°C with a 5°C dew point ?
I sure would. My nose will dry out in any super heated dry air. I hate my dew points of 73 to 84f all summer but would rather face that than a summer out west with sub dew points of under 45f and temps of 100+.

Old 06-01-2020, 07:49 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,895,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartfordd View Post
How you know the difference between dry heat and humid heat without knowing the dew point, just by feeling ?
What’s the sensation when the temperature is 36°C with a 24°C dew point and 38°C with a 5°C dew point ?
It's pretty easy to tell just by feel, especially if you are accustomed to humid heat and go to a place with dry heat or vice versa.

Dry heat feels similar to opening up a hot oven and feeling the hot, dry air on your face. You don't sweat as much but you will feel much thirstier and will go through lip balm very quickly. Itchy skin/dry hair and nose bleeds happen, too.

Humid heat will leave you soaked in sweat and the air will feel somewhat heavier to breathe than dry air. It might smell of petrichor or mustiness depending on how recently it has rained.

Of the two, I am most accustomed to and prefer it sticky though not so much hot.

I made the mistake of not paying much attention to the heat in Phoenix since I wasn't sweating much and got into trouble by not drinking enough.

Old 06-01-2020, 09:18 PM

105 posts, read 107,659 times
Both types of heat are bad. If you work outside humid probably is better because you dont feel like you are roasting, just boiling. Skin loves humidity also.

Old 06-02-2020, 01:07 AM

1,892 posts, read 2,532,419 times
If you experience it enough you'll be able to tell. I haven't heard of any official category for dry heat vs humid heat so it seems to be subjective for each individual. To me a dry heat would be a humidity of around 20% or lower while a humid heat would be 40-50% or higher depending on temperature. To me, judging temperature is a lot easier than judging humidity. There were times when I could have sworn humidity was around 70%+ but when I look at my weather app it's only around 40%. I still guessed the temperature within a few degrees though.

Old 06-02-2020, 01:48 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,289,161 times
I can't stand humid heat personally. DPs above 23c are pretty bad, especially with no breeze at all.

Also when it's dry you're sweating and it dries so you realize you need to drink water, which is not as obvious when you just remain sticky all the time.

Old 06-02-2020, 04:12 AM

679 posts, read 358,751 times
For me:
40°C, 20% humidity, sunny = 30°C, 80% humidity, sunny = 32°C, 80% humidity, cloudy
36°C, 20% humidity, sunny = 28°C, 80% humidity, sunny = 30,5°C, 80% humidity, cloudy
32°C, 20% humidity, sunny = 26,5°C, 80% humidity, sunny = 29°C, 80% humidity, cloudy
28°C, 20% humidity, sunny = 27°C, 50% humdity, sunny = 26°C, 80% humidity, sunny = 27°C, 80% humidity, cloudy
25°C, 50% humidity, sunny = 24°C, 80% humidity, sunny = 25°C, 80% humidity, cloudy

Yes, you will less sweat, and air will be fresher if there is dry heat. But you will have high UV indexes. Cloudy heat means lower chance to sunburn. It's a tough choice, what is better: humid and cloudy heat or dry and sunny heat.

Old 06-02-2020, 04:52 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,596,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
If you experience it enough you'll be able to tell. I haven't heard of any official category for dry heat vs humid heat so it seems to be subjective for each individual. To me a dry heat would be a humidity of around 20% or lower while a humid heat would be 40-50% or higher depending on temperature. To me, judging temperature is a lot easier than judging humidity. There were times when I could have sworn humidity was around 70%+ but when I look at my weather app it's only around 40%. I still guessed the temperature within a few degrees though.
Dry heat=dewpoint below 50°F/10°C

Old 06-02-2020, 12:04 PM

10,891 posts, read 7,382,548 times
I used to live in windward Hawaii (high humidity); when it hit 80° there, I was too hot and sticky to do anything but sit in front of the fan.

Here in Arizona, 80° is fine for moderate activity, even 90 isn't bad. 100 with a nice breeze is balmy.

Old 06-02-2020, 12:54 PM

2,648 posts, read 2,315,200 times
Living on an island surrounded by water rarely do we ever get a dry heat. It's always humid.. even winters feel colder because of the humidity level. Living with humidity during summer sometimes feels like you're breathing though a wet blanket over your face.
Going swimming doesn't even help sometimes because I'll just come out of the water feeling sticky as soon as I hit the air.

Everything feels damp, and I mean everything. Even the clothes I put on fresh from the closet sometimes feel damp.

It was really humid the other day and I was opening up a cereal box, and even the cardboard felt and tore like it was damp. Humidity is horrible. Luckily I have air conditioning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather