Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2020, 04:30 AM

1,076 posts, read 1,745,332 times

Advertisements

How you know the difference between dry heat and humid heat without knowing the dew point, just by feeling ?
What’s the sensation when the temperature is 36°C with a 24°C dew point and 38°C with a 5°C dew point ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2020, 05:33 AM

1,223 posts, read 721,404 times
Without needing to look at data or stats, I can pick it very easily. My home town of Darwin is at 12*S. And about 1700mm ( 65"-70"" ) that falls over 6 months and then practically rainless for the rest of the year. Merely sitting outdoors for breakfast on a wet season morning, the sweat just soaks your clothes and drips on the ground. Its brutal !
My former job entailed frequent interstate travel all over the Continent, and I would fly from hot wet and humid Darwin to dry and dusty Adelaide in January. 32c and 80% humidity in Darwin was way worse than 42c and 5% humidity in Adelaide. Except in my case my lips would crack, skin dry out and I would be itchy as hell with skin flaking within 48 hours of the dry heat. Then after several weeks of that it would be home to the extreme DPs and humidity, and I would break out in a heat rash, and that's not much fun either.... lol !
So I work outdoors in heavy construction and have seen blokes drop like flies in Darwin's climate whereas those of us locals acclimatised to it still struggle be we manage. Heat stress and heat stroke are extremely dangerous in hot humid tropical climates.

Old 06-01-2020, 06:59 AM

366 posts, read 242,777 times
Little heat with humidity feels good but increase the temperature and you feel very sticky. Also it depends upon the temperature. In some cases humid heat is better and in other cases dry heat is better. In all cases I prefer 31°C with 80% to 47°C and 4% humidity. Today in my city it is 49°C with just 2% humidity and the coast only 15 km. My areas sees extreme variation in humidity.

Old 06-01-2020, 07:03 AM

366 posts, read 242,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greysrigging View Post
Without needing to look at data or stats, I can pick it very easily. My home town of Darwin is at 12*S. And about 1700mm ( 65"-70"" ) that falls over 6 months and then practically rainless for the rest of the year. Merely sitting outdoors for breakfast on a wet season morning, the sweat just soaks your clothes and drips on the ground. Its brutal !
My former job entailed frequent interstate travel all over the Continent, and I would fly from hot wet and humid Darwin to dry and dusty Adelaide in January. 32c and 80% humidity in Darwin was way worse than 42c and 5% humidity in Adelaide. Except in my case my lips would crack, skin dry out and I would be itchy as hell with skin flaking within 48 hours of the dry heat. Then after several weeks of that it would be home to the extreme DPs and humidity, and I would break out in a heat rash, and that's not much fun either.... lol !
So I work outdoors in heavy construction and have seen blokes drop like flies in Darwin's climate whereas those of us locals acclimatised to it still struggle be we manage. Heat stress and heat stroke are extremely dangerous in hot humid tropical climates.
Tropical north-west Australia and south-east coast of India are extreme examples of humidity. Most (not all) tropical areas don't get as humid as these two places. But the highest humidity in the world is not recorded in tropical regions, it is recorded in the arid coastal regions of Red Sea, Persian (Arabian) Gulf, Gulf of Aden and Sea of Oman.

Old 06-01-2020, 07:44 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,737,170 times
As someone that's lived in the northeastern US most of my live and now lives on the west coast it's DEFINITELY noticeable.

Old 06-01-2020, 08:38 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,958,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartfordd View Post
How you know the difference between dry heat and humid heat without knowing the dew point, just by feeling ?
What’s the sensation when the temperature is 36°C with a 24°C dew point and 38°C with a 5°C dew point ?
Sometimes it's easy to tell, sometimes not. The often forgotten factor is wind and cloud cover, neither of which are factored into the heat index.

If that humid heat has a good breeze, that breeze will make it feel much drier than it really is. Obvious, right? Wind dries things up.

If that humid heat has lots of cloud cover as well, then it also helps to lessen the perceived heat.

If that dry heat has no breeze, then it can feel sweatier and hotter than it really is. And it will feel even hotter than it actually is if there is no cloud cover.

Old 06-01-2020, 01:55 PM

13,482 posts, read 9,023,301 times
Dry heat feels dry & humid heat feels humid. Thanks

Old 06-01-2020, 02:03 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,592,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartfordd View Post
36°C with a 24°C dewpoint, which is a heat index of around 40°C, feels awful, and can be hard to breathe if you have to exert yourself.

38°C with a 5°C dewpoint, which is a heat index of around 36°C, does feel objectively hot, but definitely better than the first scenario. You don't sweat as much, and it's much easier to breathe

Old 06-01-2020, 03:17 PM

1,291 posts, read 176,761 times
In dry heat, I need lots of lip balm and eye drops and my skin feels and is visibly dry. I need to drink a lot more water in hot and dry places. In humid heat, I don't need lip balm or eye drops and can drink a little less water. I sweat a lot more in humid heat, to the point that if I'm working outside my clothes are literally soaked through and I'm dripping. After a shower, in a humid climate, I just can't stop sweating, even if I shower in cool to cold water temp.

Not sure which I prefer but I find humid heat is like a big soft hug versus the blowtorch of dry heat.

Old 06-01-2020, 03:58 PM

6,789 posts, read 4,230,123 times
What's the difference? Dry heat feels hot. Like at a certain temperature it's literally feeling like putting your head in an oven, but in the say high 80s and with a breeze it is pretty agreeable still.

But humid heat makes the air heavy and soupy. I actually detest cloudy conditions with humid heat. It feels even more swampy because there's no sun to burn your sweat off.

Last edited by Veritas Vincit; 06-01-2020 at 04:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather