Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2024, 02:37 PM

5,890 posts, read 6,088,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post

I have a hard time putting a climate like Pueblo Rico into the same category as one like Manaus for example:

since both are put into the equatorial/ tropical rainforest 'Af' climate type. I wouldn't say that Pueblo Rico is not tropical. I agree that temperatures over 18 are tropical. However it is not the same flavor to me as Manaus or Kuala Lumpur

The reason because Pueblo Rico does not frequently get actual heat, just warmth. Whereas sea level Af climates will have constant muggy heat. The experience of these climates is quite different.

I agree fully with the classification of Manizales as a temperate oceanic climate, which is also called a subtropical highland climate. I think this nomenclature is correct. However there should be a tropical highland climate specifically for climates where every month averages 18+ and no month averages 22+

Actually I could even consider increasing the Cfa and hypothetical Af cutoffs somewhat higher to around 24 degrees (75f) since this is a day that is really warm and not just tepid.

For example, New York City averages 18.1 degrees in October. Not a particularly tropical feeling month, although it is very pleasant. August averages 24.5 and does feel significantly different than October in that city.
Yeah, the summers here are around 18-20C and it doesn't really feel tropical. Pleasant yes, but just warm-pleasant.

However, it you want to limit the number of climate zones, I think 18C is a reasonable cut-off for Af. A lot of tropical plants do seem to be able to cope with ~20C daily means. A lot of plants (admittedly not all) adapted to warm climates will grow just as well in 18-20C daily means as in 28C daily means. 18C also coincides roughly with the point at which climates become frost free. It's also roughly the temperature of the coldest month at places along the tropics of capricorn and cancer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2024, 03:47 PM

1,538 posts, read 866,766 times
Quote:

For example, New York City averages 18.1 degrees in October. Not a particularly tropical feeling month, although it is very pleasant. August averages 24.5 and does feel significantly different than October in that city.
I believe it's 28.5 for high in August.

Old 03-29-2024, 04:21 PM

5,890 posts, read 6,088,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancerman View Post
I believe it's 28.5 for high in August.
We're talking about daily means not daily highs.

Old 03-29-2024, 04:50 PM

402 posts, read 80,288 times
Quote:

I have a hard time putting a climate like Pueblo Rico into the same category as one like Manaus for example:

since both are put into the equatorial/ tropical rainforest 'Af' climate type. I wouldn't say that Pueblo Rico is not tropical. I agree that temperatures over 18 are tropical. However it is not the same flavor to me as Manaus or Kuala Lumpur

The reason because Pueblo Rico does not frequently get actual heat, just warmth. Whereas sea level Af climates will have constant muggy heat. The experience of these climates is quite different.

I agree fully with the classification of Manizales as a temperate oceanic climate, which is also called a subtropical highland climate. I think this nomenclature is correct. However there should be a tropical highland climate specifically for climates where every month averages 18+ and no month averages 22+

Actually I could even consider increasing the Cfa and hypothetical Af cutoffs somewhat higher to around 24 degrees (75f) since this is a day that is really warm and not just tepid.

Nyc averages 18.1°C high not the average of the month. 18°C for tropical is average of a month. So of course it is not tropical feel.

Old 03-29-2024, 05:08 PM

1,538 posts, read 866,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
We're talking about daily means not daily highs.
Then his average for October was incorrect.

Old 03-29-2024, 05:22 PM

5,722 posts, read 3,504,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post

If you can show evidence of those palms growing in Windsor or Amherstburg, I'll believe it, but until then, it's just speculation.
Yes, should be easy enough to find photos of them online if they actually grow there. The only Ontario I can find with palm photos though is the one in California.

Old 03-29-2024, 07:58 PM

2,365 posts, read 1,850,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subtropical-is-temperate3 View Post
Nyc averages 18.1°C high not the average of the month. 18°C for tropical is average of a month. So of course it is not tropical feel.
Oops I misread that one. There isn't any month that averages 18 in NYC, although the closest is May. Portland, Maine averages about 18 in June. Detroit is about 18 in September.

Old 03-31-2024, 10:06 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,224,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
Yes, should be easy enough to find photos of them online if they actually grow there. The only Ontario I can find with palm photos though is the one in California.
Yeah, I have never seen a hardy Palm growing anywhere here in Essex County, and trust me, I have looked for them. That said, I’m certain that we can grow some of the most hardy varieties with proper placement and maybe a mulch of leaves to get through the winter, but I doubt that they would be long term plants unfortunately.

I have heard of a fairly large needle palm that was growing in one of Detroit’s inner suburbs in front of a local library, but it eventually was killed by a bad winter. I wish I could find that article again to post here.

Old 03-31-2024, 08:35 PM

402 posts, read 80,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North 42 View Post
Yeah, I have never seen a hardy Palm growing anywhere here in Essex County, and trust me, I have looked for them. That said, I’m certain that we can grow some of the most hardy varieties with proper placement and maybe a mulch of leaves to get through the winter, but I doubt that they would be long term plants unfortunately.

I have heard of a fairly large needle palm that was growing in one of Detroit’s inner suburbs in front of a local library, but it eventually was killed by a bad winter. I wish I could find that article again to post here.
Most people don’t know they can grow them, finding them would be hard. The only 3 palms I trust can grow there are sabal minor, needle palm, and saw palmetto. Windmill palms it might be harder, I don’t really believe that the Youngstown ones made it without protection for at least 1 day per winter, Youngstown gets below -18°C easily. The Cleveland ones I do believe it it is definitely less prone to such temperatures.

Old 04-01-2024, 07:17 PM

142 posts, read 32,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subtropical-is-temperate3 View Post
Most people don’t know they can grow them, finding them would be hard. The only 3 palms I trust can grow there are sabal minor, needle palm, and saw palmetto. Windmill palms it might be harder, I don’t really believe that the Youngstown ones made it without protection for at least 1 day per winter, Youngstown gets below -18°C easily. The Cleveland ones I do believe it it is definitely less prone to such temperatures.
They could maybe thrive, but there is no much prove. Well, they are thriving in Cleveland so maybe Amherstburg and Windsor are not too bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather