Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2024, 09:38 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,224,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climatepolice48 View Post
They could maybe thrive, but there is no much prove. Well, they are thriving in Cleveland so maybe Amherstburg and Windsor are not too bad.
Somehow I very much doubt that palm trees are thriving in Cleveland. How about some photos of these supposedly thriving Cleveland palms?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2024, 08:09 PM

395 posts, read 80,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North 42 View Post
Somehow I very much doubt that palm trees are thriving in Cleveland. How about some photos of these supposedly thriving Cleveland palms?
Sabal minor, smaller windmills, saw palmetto, and needle palms are the types being grown in Ohio, Cleveland is no exception. Sabal minor is the most common type in Cleveland and also needle palm, the rest are hard to grow and requite protection. Sabal minor is almost at the limit there.

Well Kentucky in hardiness zone 6b, they got really lucky! A man planted sabal minor and it grew well and healthy it even started to grow roots and started to spread and grow like if natural! It was an invasive species to his yard no joke. Sabal minor proved that it can be grown in 6b no problem, 6a is difficult though and protection required in most cases. I don’t know if they are being grown in Southern Ontario but it is certainly hardy to their zones and recommended if you want to add a tropical touch to gardens. Needle palms without a doubt, saw palmetto if sabal minor can it is possible, windmill palms is the question here. I recently found out that there is another palm, mazari palm hardy down to 6b. Windmills are hardy to 7a, so Winddor 6b will need protection. Remember these are the coldest hardy palms. Anything below zone 7 is obviously hard to grow palms.

Old 04-02-2024, 08:15 PM

Here is an example of a person finding out in northeastern Ohio that they survived below 0°F(-17.8°C)

https://www.northeastohiopalmtrees.c...minor-3-gallon

This person was growing them in a greenhouse, but it then was unheated meaning it got at around -18°C sometimes and constantly below -10°C. Sabal minor is hardy to zone 6b US, that is 7a of Canada. There was an online post saying that they were growing windmills in Youngstown, which is 6b or who knows if even 6a, I doubt they did without protection. If it was Cleveland which is 7a now, I would believe it more. There was also a post about that, I am not sure if to believe or not, I saw the supposed evidence, I think it’s possible but not the best option I guess.

Old 04-02-2024, 08:16 PM

Climatepolice48 has actually been in Cleveland, he probably knows something I don’t.

Old 04-02-2024, 11:33 PM

5,889 posts, read 6,088,552 times
This Youtube channel has good videos about zone pushing in Ontario.

This is a windmill palm from Burlington but it's protected/covered during the winter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9OV...dUnusualPlants

Video on sabal minor and needle palm on his own property in (apparently) Kilbride, ON, which is not the absolute mildest part of Ontario, but he says he protects them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dv-w...dUnusualPlants

Old 04-03-2024, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
This Youtube channel has good videos about zone pushing in Ontario.

This is a windmill palm from Burlington but it's protected/covered during the winter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9OV...dUnusualPlants

Video on sabal minor and needle palm on his own property in (apparently) Kilbride, ON, which is not the absolute mildest part of Ontario, but he says he protects them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dv-w...dUnusualPlants
Well Sabal minor is hardy down to 6b USDA, below that it might need protection. Obviously this guy has to be below zone 6. He could be in Canadian zone 6, but not USDA.

Old 04-03-2024, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subtropical-is-temperate3 View Post
Well Sabal minor is hardy down to 6b USDA, below that it might need protection. Obviously this guy has to be below zone 6. He could be in Canadian zone 6, but not USDA.
He's in Canadian 6a, bordering on 5b, using 1980-2010 climate normals. The windmill palm in Burlington (that gets protection in the winter) is in Canadian 6b (1980-2010). He's also planted a southern magnolia, so we'll see how that does in future winters, this winter was its first one and it was one of the mildest ever here, so not a good metric of viability.

Old 04-05-2024, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
He's in Canadian 6a, bordering on 5b, using 1980-2010 climate normals. The windmill palm in Burlington (that gets protection in the winter) is in Canadian 6b (1980-2010). He's also planted a southern magnolia, so we'll see how that does in future winters, this winter was its first one and it was one of the mildest ever here, so not a good metric of viability.
Ok, makes sense. But Amherstburg and Windsor zone 7a Canadian and 6b USDA would not require protection for sabal minor, it is hardy to USDA zone 6, 6b is fine. Windmills are hardy down to 7a USDA I guess that is 7b Canadian, so literally everywhere will need protection only Amherstburg or such places which are more southern and close to water fronts can have more chances, but Sabal minor, Saw palmetto which are hardy to USDA zone 6 might do well, also mazari palm is hardy to 6 USDA. Needle palm is hardy to USDA zone 5, even better it is hardy to Montreal which is USDA zone 5.

Old 04-05-2024, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subtropical-is-temperate3 View Post
Ok, makes sense. But Amherstburg and Windsor zone 7a Canadian and 6b USDA would not require protection for sabal minor, it is hardy to USDA zone 6, 6b is fine. Windmills are hardy down to 7a USDA I guess that is 7b Canadian, so literally everywhere will need protection only Amherstburg or such places which are more southern and close to water fronts can have more chances, but Sabal minor, Saw palmetto which are hardy to USDA zone 6 might do well, also mazari palm is hardy to 6 USDA. Needle palm is hardy to USDA zone 5, even better it is hardy to Montreal which is USDA zone 5.
Maybe, although this winter, his location (Kilbride, ON) was milder than an average winter in Amherstburg/Windsor. There's no station specifically in Kilbride, but nearby stations ranged from -15.5C (Hamilton RBG, Pearson Airport) to 17C (Hamilton Airport, Guelph Turfgrass).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather