Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has worse summers
Valdosta, GA 20 60.61%
Bakersfield, CA 13 39.39%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2020, 12:18 PM

14,316 posts, read 11,708,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Is it just City-Data or Americans in the Far West in general who are like whiny little girls when it comes to any form of humidity above 50%? It's a pattern I see often here and wondered from those who live in the western 1/3 of the country if they were all like that.
West Coasters can deal with heat all right, but humidity adds an extra layer of misery to it. It's sticky and nasty.

We wonder why people in the Midwest/East start whining about being too hot when it hits 26C. That's not really hot, unless it's humid, and then it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2020, 12:35 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,610,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
West Coasters can deal with heat all right, but humidity adds an extra layer of misery to it. It's sticky and nasty.

We wonder why people in the Midwest/East start whining about being too hot when it hits 26C. That's not really hot, unless it's humid, and then it is.
Exactly

Old 06-23-2020, 04:32 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,893,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post

26C isn't hot even with humidity.

Old 06-23-2020, 05:23 PM

14,316 posts, read 11,708,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
People in Texas are more used to it, I think. It's mostly the Upper Midwesterners and New Englanders who start wilting at 26C/80F with humidity. And, I sympathize. One of the most uncomfortable places I have ever visited was Portland, Maine during a June heat wave. It was very humid and there was no a/c in the little stone church where our friends were getting married. I thought my husband and the other groomsmen in their tuxedos were going to pass out.

I was curious enough to look up the weather data for that date (June 21, 1997). It hit 84F/28.9 C with a dewpoint of 71. Man, did it feel oppressive to this Southern Californian.

Last edited by saibot; 06-23-2020 at 05:31 PM..

Old 06-23-2020, 07:58 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,070,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
As someone who spend childhood summers near Bakersfield and was in Bakersfield regularly during the summer I would say Valdosta, GA is worse. Bakersfield is dry. Its really a desert with very low rainfall and low humidity. The hot humid summers in the south are very oppressive. I have spend summers in places similar to Valdosta. It is horrible.

You cannot just go by temperatures but heat index. I would almost guarantee Valdosta has a higher heat index in the summer than Bakersfield. Bakersfield might have a high temp of 100 but the heat index is in the lower 90's. Valdosta might be in the lower 90's but the heat index is over 100.

That being said both have lousy summers.
This. Nailed it.

In Bakersfield, you can always sit in the shade with a glass of cool water and fan yourself (or better yet, catch a breeze), and you have a shot at being "comfortable". Not 65 degrees and sunny in Seattle, comfortable, but relative to Georgia? Comfortable. Do that in Valdosta, and you'll just die sooner. Or at least wish you would, as the spandex in your undies welds itself to your skin, as you sweat, drip, and repeat, all day long.

Old 06-23-2020, 08:15 PM

10,900 posts, read 7,393,957 times
I deal with heat much better in low humidity, so I'd go with Bakersfield. Of course, I grew up in Sacramento...

Old 06-24-2020, 05:06 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,898,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Now that is a matter of perspective.

I lived in the Memphis area where it regularly exceeded 35 C/ 95 F in the summertime for a couple of years. I am originally from the north but it was amazing to me watching the people born & raised in the area run around in the 35 C heat as if it was a comfortable fall day or something. They didn't get hot, didn't complain about the (horrific) heat, and didn't seem to be bothered by it at all.

Mind blown even more when I traveled to Phoenix and saw people running around in triple digit heat seemingly unbothered by it. 110 F? No big deal! We are just out here sitting in the sun, hiking, jogging or just out and about in the heat of the day.

On the other hand, I broke into a sweat within 5-10 minutes of just standing or light activity in that weather. I find even 27 C weather a bit uncomfortable but not intolerable. I suspect that if I had grown up in a hot climate I would appreciate or at least tolerate heat better.

Old 06-24-2020, 05:10 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,610,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
Now that is a matter of perspective.

I lived in the Memphis area where it regularly exceeded 35 C/ 95 F in the summertime for a couple of years. I am originally from the north but it was amazing to me watching the people born & raised in the area run around in the 35 C heat as if it was a comfortable fall day or something. They didn't get hot, didn't complain about the (horrific) heat, and didn't seem to be bothered by it at all.

Mind blown even more when I traveled to Phoenix and saw people running around in triple digit heat seemingly unbothered by it. 110 F? No big deal! We are just out here sitting in the sun, hiking, jogging or just out and about in the heat of the day.

On the other hand, I broke into a sweat within 5-10 minutes of just standing or light activity in that weather. I find even 27 C weather a bit uncomfortable but not intolerable. I suspect that if I had grown up in a hot climate I would appreciate or at least tolerate heat better.
I didn't grow up in a hot climate, yet I took to Phoenix like a fish to water. I also work outdoors so after my first year here, I adapted to the climate here. Now anything between 60 and 110 is no big deal for me. Below 60 is cold, and over 110 is when it starts to get hot

Old 06-24-2020, 05:29 PM

30,434 posts, read 21,271,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I didn't grow up in a hot climate, yet I took to Phoenix like a fish to water. I also work outdoors so after my first year here, I adapted to the climate here. Now anything between 60 and 110 is no big deal for me. Below 60 is cold, and over 110 is when it starts to get hot
Yet my mid 90's and dews over 75f would send you packing.

Old 06-24-2020, 05:32 PM

2,227 posts, read 1,404,431 times
I find anything higher than 85 F too hot with humidity. Above 95 F if there is no humidity is still hot for me. 80 F with humidity isn’t too bad for summer if it goes down into the 60’s at night, which it usually does up where I live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather