U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2020, 02:13 PM

50 posts, read 11,550 times

Advertisements

I guess Norway could have palms as well.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2020, 02:16 PM

58,350 posts, read 4,324,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
Nope. Palms can grow unprotected even in northern England & up into Scotland too.
Yes & they also grow well in SW Ireland.

Old 07-04-2020, 02:18 PM

58,350 posts, read 4,324,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancerman View Post

I have never been to Norway, but I doubt it. What a strange comment. I have however, seen plenty of palm trees in the South of Ireland.

Old 07-04-2020, 02:29 PM

50 posts, read 11,550 times
There are places in Norway that have a similar climate to British Isles.

https://northernfjords.files.wordpre...716_161417.jpg

Is it so strange?

Old 07-04-2020, 02:56 PM

12,128 posts, read 6,988,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Yes & they also grow well in SW Ireland.
Northern Ireland too

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I have never been to Norway, but I doubt it. What a strange comment. I have however, seen plenty of palm trees in the South of Ireland.
And actually in the milder parts of Scandinavia there are some people growing very hardy palms like Trachycarpus fortunei (Chusan Fan Palm).

Old 07-04-2020, 03:32 PM

3,321 posts, read 2,002,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhc1985 View Post
Two main causes and in this order:

1) Location relative to the Atmospheric circulation / continental masses
2) Gulf Stream

So at equivalent latitudes, Western Europe is warmer than the Pacific Northwest, Southern Chile and New Zealand due to the Gulf Stream. However, it is milder than Eastern North America and Asia due to its location relative to the general atmospheric circulation and continental masses. The common error is attributing to the Gulf Stream its milder/warmer conditions respect to Eastern NA and Asia, when in this case there is a more basal major forcing.
There is another important difference between the western coast of Europe and the western coast of North America.

On the west coast of North America, the huge land area of Alaska, with high mountain ranges, protrudes west, blocking the mild air from the ocean and ocean currents from dominating further north at the high latitudes. The Bering sea is thus much colder than the Norwegian sea at the same latitude.

In Europe, the land slopes towards the NE, so both the ocean currents and the mild westerlies can dominate far into the high latutides, even reaching the Arctic.

So the largest difference in temperature between these are at the very high latitudes.
Utqiagvik (Barrow) at 71N has annual mean -11.2C / 11.8F.
Honningsvåg (by the North Cape, Norway) at 71N has annual mean 2C / 36F.
A 13.2C difference is about the difference between Utqiagvik and Anchorage, or the difference between Honningsvåg and Rome, Italy.

Old Yesterday, 08:34 AM
BMI

7,434 posts, read 5,211,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancerman View Post
Yes, they do...I've seen pictures of them...

Even in extreme SE Alaska...yes it is mild enough...I know, crazy,
I can't grow them here in southern Ontario but Alaska can.

There is one house in my city, Burlington, that has a quite large Windmill Palm (a 12 footer),
in the front yard on Appleby line (a major street), they cover it in a "tent" from November
until april.

Gulf stream does make NW Europe milder but other regions at similar latitudes are
mild too....coast of southern Chile...NZ South Island ...and west coast of North America.

Europe has "just right" geography helping out too.

They have the warm Med Sea to the south....east-west axis Alps (unlike our north-south Rockies).
They also have "the Baltic Sea" helping to modify any colder "eastern air" coming from Russia.

Old Yesterday, 10:04 AM

2,935 posts, read 1,639,167 times
It is obvious that it affects. Compare, for example, London and Petropavlovsk Kamchatsky (the latter is 1.5 degrees more northern but this is not such a significant difference). To a lesser extent, the Gulf Stream affects even the easternmost areas. There was a story in a newspaper about a Wagnerianus palm growing in a garden on the northern coast of Estonia. Even Western Siberia has a milder winter than Eastern Siberia although the latter is closer to the sea.There is no other explanation for this than the Gulf Stream. And the direction of the Earth's rotation.

Old Yesterday, 10:51 AM

4,788 posts, read 3,992,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anhityk View Post
It is obvious that it affects. Compare, for example, London and Petropavlovsk Kamchatsky (the latter is 1.5 degrees more northern but this is not such a significant difference). To a lesser extent, the Gulf Stream affects even the easternmost areas. There was a story in a newspaper about a Wagnerianus palm growing in a garden on the northern coast of Estonia. Even Western Siberia has a milder winter than Eastern Siberia although the latter is closer to the sea.There is no other explanation for this than the Gulf Stream. And the direction of the Earth's rotation.
Tallinn is about the same latitude as Juneau and has very similar winters. It's probably less to do with the Gulf Stream and more to do with being east of a body of water.

Old Yesterday, 11:45 AM

8,590 posts, read 7,417,515 times
https://www.greatgardensofcornwall.c...-abbey-garden/

This is a snippet of the Tresco Abbey Gardens, on the isles of Scilly, islands just of the coast of Cornwall in SW England. I think these gardens answer the question quite nicely, at 50 degrees north the fact that these plants grow quite happily goes to show just how much warmth the Gulf Stream brings. The 'average' mid winter night time minimum here is an incredible 6 degrees Centigrade, about 43 degrees Farenhiet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or