Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What's the duration of your summer/winter
Long summers, short winters 14 29.17%
Long winters, short summers 17 35.42%
Even winters/summers 10 20.83%
In some years, it changes 7 14.58%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2020, 02:56 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
Hey, We’re neighbors! I would say March is still winter. September is already fall. April in my yard usually means some snow is still in the shaded areas. May is nice, June is (usually)wet. Summer? About halfway through June through the end of August (ten weeks).
I agree, I was a Rochester native (left after high school for warmer sunnier pasture), and in my opinion, winter was about mid November to almost mid April, spring was mid April to about mid June, summer was mid June to Labor Day and fall was Labor Day to mid November
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2020, 02:04 PM

215 posts, read 106,257 times
Well winters have always been longer and at here 59N will continue to be so. But the climate has quite a lot changed, so:

10 years ago: Long cold winters, lasting from the last week of October to early April. Dec-Fec always have snow cover, some years the snow cover lasts from November until the end of March or first week of April. Spring starts mid-April and the warm up is pretty fast, May is a pretty warm spring month. Summer is June till mid August. June is still prone to colder spells though. Summers are not really hot, but July-early August is definitely the warmest time of the year. Late August already cools off and September is a full on fall month. Fall lasts through most of October, but it usually gets pretty frosty right before Halloween...and then the long winter starts again.

Nowadays: Seasons have become less distinct. Summer still happens from June-August, but the warmth is spread out weirdly. July has become cooler and the warmest weather often happens in late May-Early June or like mid to late August. The first 2 weeks of September have also become more summer-like. Peak fall is late September-early October. But Fall, Winter and Spring have blended into one cool dreary season. From mid October to mid April its about 3-7C and rainy/foggy. Winter(with snow and freezing temperatures) kind of happens in a few seperate weeks, spread out from November to March. Some years might still get longer and colder winters, but I havent seen those snow from November till March winters in quite a while. but yeah 3C drizzle weather is not much better... Spring is like.... a few warm days in March and April and then 2 weeks in Early May.
Its honestly not very consistent anymore, and I'd honesttly rather have colder winters than November drizzle weather for 6-7 months of the year.

Old 07-09-2020, 09:43 PM

650 posts, read 450,462 times
In Houston winter might last a few days maybe? Probably like a good week of freezing temperatures at night on the north side would be peak winter. Summers depend on how you define them. I would say there are 5 months of hot weather in Houston, perhaps a little longer as there is typically a week in October that is hot. The rest of October and April is generally warm, but not hot to me, though a few days can be hot.

In Northern Minnesota, summer is perhaps three months, however I have never experienced a summer there so I wouldn't know for sure. Winters are a solid 5 months though as the snow cover starts in November on average and leaves by April sometime from my experience. Snow can fall from early October to May it seems, but the weather is only cold from November to March, as October and April sees a lot of highs above freezing.

Old 07-10-2020, 04:30 AM

30,432 posts, read 21,255,233 times
Everywhere around the planet will see less and less of winter over time as the planet super heats.

Old 07-10-2020, 09:23 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,956,707 times
Surprised to see that "Even winters/summers" is low. I would've thought most places in the world have equally long summers and winters.

Old 07-11-2020, 03:48 PM

7,501 posts, read 6,291,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
Surprised to see that "Even winters/summers" is low. I would've thought most places in the world have equally long summers and winters.

I think it also reflects people's preferences and opinions on where they live. It also shows that some people have moved to a colder / warmer place and sometimes miss the home climate.

I could totally do with colder winters and I think my summers are a bit long for instance.

Old 07-12-2020, 08:58 PM

157 posts, read 65,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I agree, I was a Rochester native (left after high school for warmer sunnier pasture), and in my opinion, winter was about mid November to almost mid April, spring was mid April to about mid June, summer was mid June to Labor Day and fall was Labor Day to mid November
The Great Lakes greatly influence Rochester along with the rest of that area so I would say the east side of the state like in the Hudson valley up through the capital region spring starts definitely at the start of April and even earlier like in recent years. The lakes usually keep the areas near it cooler until they warm up. This year along with many recent years, mid May towards the end had highs in the mid to upper 80’s, low 90’s and was very humid for my area. Not dry like the past. So really summer starts then for us. The valley is usually a warmer place. It’s still also in the 70’s and so forth till the end of September so I think it’s still summer weather, albeit less humid than back in August.

Old 07-12-2020, 09:03 PM

157 posts, read 65,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
Hey, We’re neighbors! I would say March is still winter. September is already fall. April in my yard usually means some snow is still in the shaded areas. May is nice, June is (usually)wet. Summer? About halfway through June through the end of August (ten weeks).
Her fellow upstater. Near here, it really has gotten a lot warmer by mid May. This year, while May started cooler (spring like weather), it ended in the mid to upper 80’s with humidity. Temps at night were in the 60’s which is like 10 degrees above average for late May here. Most of the years anyways feel like summer by then. September, especially at the start is still in the 80’s and 70’s for most of the month. Humidity is less however. March was also pretty warm this year and so we had no snow basically throughout the whole month. No snow on the ground by April.

Old 07-13-2020, 12:59 AM

11,655 posts, read 12,956,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
I think it also reflects people's preferences and opinions on where they live. It also shows that some people have moved to a colder / warmer place and sometimes miss the home climate.

I could totally do with colder winters and I think my summers are a bit long for instance.
Yeah, it does stand to people's subjective preference. If they "feel" their summers are longer, in which they probably aren't for many other people in the world, then they would vote for "long summers". I think we should be more objective here.

Heck, I would say that Sydney has longish summers, but I know a few people would disagree, especially those from say the US Gulf Coast. So I would put Sydney under 'even winters/summers'.

Old 07-13-2020, 01:58 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstaterNY1 View Post
The Great Lakes greatly influence Rochester along with the rest of that area so I would say the east side of the state like in the Hudson valley up through the capital region spring starts definitely at the start of April and even earlier like in recent years. The lakes usually keep the areas near it cooler until they warm up. This year along with many recent years, mid May towards the end had highs in the mid to upper 80’s, low 90’s and was very humid for my area. Not dry like the past. So really summer starts then for us. The valley is usually a warmer place. It’s still also in the 70’s and so forth till the end of September so I think it’s still summer weather, albeit less humid than back in August.
I based winter on when you can see snow, and when it's cloudier. I definitely remember early April and mid November snow most years I lived in ROC. And for summer, I based it on when highs below 70 and lows below 50 are pretty much non existent. I definitely remember having some 60s/40s days in mid June and early to mid September about every other year back there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather