Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2020, 03:02 AM

109 posts, read 86,484 times

Advertisements

I hate anything hotter than 25 C in summer. Even 25 makes me sweat like crazy and feel lazy. I'm not fan of extreme cold either but if it's "dry" cold (low humidity/no rain, some snow is OK) maybe it's not so bad. However I'd prefer a sunny summer and if possible sunny winters. I dislike clouds the most! I come from Sofia, Bulgaria that has lots of sunshine but I can't stand the heat in June-August when it often goes aboce 25 C. Springs and Falls are too short here in Bulgaria.

I felt the worst in BeNeLux - mild temperatures but those rainy, cloudy winter days made me feel depressed and down (got dx with vit D deficiency while there). Even during other seasons there were too many cloudy days. I prefer lush green vegetation so most of Southern Europe doesn't cut it plus they have summers over 25 C often. Are Sweden and coastal areas in Finland less cloudy than most of Northern and Central Europe? Do they match my criteria for mild but mostly sunny summers and lots of sunshine hours yearly (I used to like Krakow before learning it only gets a bit more than 1300 hours of sunshine yearly)? I like the way sun shines brighter (like it has lighter light) there in spring, summer and fall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2020, 03:19 AM

61,659 posts, read 87,023,434 times
Nowadays, even in Scandinavia could be hot. Climate change.
Those are countries with a LOT of sunny days, unfortunately sunshine seems to go together with heat.

Portugal, perhaps? On the coast?

https://www.loveexploring.com/galler...r-round?page=1

Seriously, get treatment for SAD - you will feel so much better in cloudy days.

Old 07-06-2020, 03:56 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,286,521 times
Central western France has 2200 hours of sunshine yearly, and summer highs around 25c. Places around La Rochelle. Mild winters as well.

Old 07-06-2020, 04:04 AM

11,651 posts, read 12,943,861 times
I'm pretty sure Scandinavia will be cloudy or gloomy in wintertime. So I wouldn't consider those personally.

It's pretty hard to choose an appropriate city in your case. When they're cooler and pleasant in summer, they're cloudy in winter (Vigo, Spain). When they're sunnier (Valencia), they're just hotter (28C+).

Porto, Portugal did come the closest your preference (I think):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porto#Climate

Old 07-06-2020, 06:29 AM

215 posts, read 106,093 times
Hmm.. maybe something like Lithuania or Northern Poland would be the closest match? I guess those might also get some heatwaves and are probably rather cloudy in winter, but maybe its better than Scandinavia. Because Scandinavia is probably the the second gloomiest place after UK and BeNeLux countries.

Scandinavia and Estonia are becoming more gloomy due to climate change. Less cold sunny days during winter and more gloomy days with temperatures roughly at freezing point, but lots of melting wet snow slush and also rain. Summers are weird too. We get some heatwaves or sunnier spells, but lots of gloomy and windy weather too makes you feel so depressed.

Old 07-06-2020, 08:17 AM

11,651 posts, read 12,943,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsbbnomoney View Post
Hmm.. maybe something like Lithuania or Northern Poland would be the closest match? I guess those might also get some heatwaves and are probably rather cloudy in winter, but maybe its better than Scandinavia. Because Scandinavia is probably the the second gloomiest place after UK and BeNeLux countries.

Scandinavia and Estonia are becoming more gloomy due to climate change. Less cold sunny days during winter and more gloomy days with temperatures roughly at freezing point, but lots of melting wet snow slush and also rain. Summers are weird too. We get some heatwaves or sunnier spells, but lots of gloomy and windy weather too makes you feel so depressed.
Yeah, pretty much that. I mean, the OP wants "lots of yearly sunshine" and yet he is putting northern Europe on the table. If you want abundant sunshine then northern Europe should not be considered at all. It's one of the most gloomiest populated areas in the world (in winter, especially).

Old 07-06-2020, 09:19 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,736,750 times
Central and southern France seems like a good fit?

Old 07-06-2020, 10:24 AM

95 posts, read 59,597 times
You’ll be hard pressed to find anywhere in Europe that matches all of your criteria.

Warm (but not hot), sunny summers can be found in North West Spain. These areas also have mild winters but are quite wet. I guess it depends what you class as a sunny summer and a sunny winter.

I’d class anywhere that gets over 320 hours of sunlight in winter as sunny but others might not.

A Coruna has mild/warm temperatures year round and 2000+ sun hours.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Coruña

Old 07-06-2020, 02:35 PM

109 posts, read 86,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
Central western France has 2200 hours of sunshine yearly, and summer highs around 25c. Places around La Rochelle. Mild winters as well.
Oh I am not interested in Western Europe, so Spain, France and Portugal are out of the question, not my type of societies... I'd prefer to stick to more Centrally/Easternly Located countries (From Apulia up to Skelleftea Sweden and Vaasa Finland). I know Hungary is very sunny, sunnier than most of France, but the summers can get too hot there. Btw, cloudy winters are OK, Sofia has 2000 sunshine hours yearly yet winters are mostly cloudy with the occasional clear day, and springs can be rainy too. Tell me more about Northern Poland.

Old 07-06-2020, 04:49 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,370,922 times
If you have serious concerns about scarcity of sunshine, especially during wintertime, just forget everywhere above 50°N.

If you want to move somewhere else from your current place, giving too much emphasis to very specific climatic features over cultural affinities and job opportunities doesn’t seem a realistic approach.

If you like Sofia’s sunshine but its summers are too hot for you and it’s getting kind of a deal breaker, just look for highland areas within Bulgaria. If you want to leave Bulgaria for whatever reason, you should think about what you actually expect for your life before focusing on climate. This will come later, when you make the list of pros and cons of the various candidates you choose.

It’s not like “I want to live in Skellefteå or Visby because I like their wiki climate boxes”.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather