Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer, London or Astana?
London, UK 16 50.00%
Astana, Kazakhstan 16 50.00%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2020, 06:32 AM

29,506 posts, read 19,608,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Astana

It's climate is very much like Winnipeg …

I like the higher sunshine and warmer summer,
Winnipeg even slightly better with warmer shoulder seasons.

I was thinking that. Those winters are ferocious. Too much for even my tasters... and the summers though warmer than London's aren't really that warm. The shoulder seasons are way to cold in Astana for my tasters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2020, 08:52 AM

215 posts, read 106,117 times
I pick Astana, although only by a small margin. I do not like those harsh winters there, but from May to September is very nice. Shoulder seasons kind of suck, but thats how it is in most Dfb climates.

London looks good in the climate box, but I hate the chance of having a rainy failo summer, which tends to happen quite a lot in the UK. Spring and Fall isn't quite warm enough either to make up for the potentially gloomy summers. So yeah, good summers > mild weather year-round and thats why I pick Astana.

Old 07-18-2020, 08:55 AM

5,195 posts, read 1,870,058 times
I chose London. I can't handle the level of cold in Astana's winters. I used to live around London from 1991-2003. Overall it is a much better climate than Northern England, with summers gurenteed every year and it's actually pretty dry (yellow grass being normal every summer).

Old 07-18-2020, 02:04 PM
tij

453 posts, read 337,074 times
London, for its much milder winters and better shoulder seasons, and also for being wetter. I probably prefer Astana over somewhere like Glasgow though, for the good sunshine total and mild/warm May-Sept period despite a lower annual mean.

Old 07-18-2020, 04:01 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,894,388 times
Astana has much better continentality but would be a way better climate with more rainfall.

Old 07-19-2020, 07:32 AM

1,241 posts, read 821,555 times
I could live with either climate, but the rainy and foggy London winters would get me down. I like snow! The record lows in Astana are savage, however the averages are good.

I find it interesting that Astana has so many precip days in winter despite relatively low monthly totals. The ratio of snowy to rainy days Dec-Feb is fantastic!

Musical accompaniment:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_the...f_Central_Asia

Old 07-19-2020, 07:59 AM

5,195 posts, read 1,870,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffle View Post
I could live with either climate, but the rainy and foggy London winters would get me down. I like snow! The record lows in Astana are savage, however the averages are good.

I find it interesting that Astana has so many precip days in winter despite relatively low monthly totals. The ratio of snowy to rainy days Dec-Feb is fantastic!

Musical accompaniment:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_the...f_Central_Asia

London's winters are cloudy but not sure if rainy or foggy was my experience living there for 12 years. I'd say fog was quite a rarity actually - though there could be drizzly/rainy days every now and again. Its winters are going to be boring for those who want snow that's true. I only saw that perhaps once or twice in 12 years.

Old 07-19-2020, 08:30 AM

2,652 posts, read 3,407,249 times
London is superior in all methods.

Old 07-19-2020, 08:36 AM

2,227 posts, read 1,402,142 times
London for sure. It has 4 seasons without any one season being too extreme. Due to moisture, there is an occasional chance of snow happening too.
Astana is horrible in winter. No thanks. Ideally I’d like Astana summers with London winters.

Old 07-19-2020, 01:06 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,384,546 times
Astana's disadvantages are winter and cold shoulder seasons. At the same time, there is more sunshine and warmer summers in Astana and in oceanic climates in general the climate boxes tend to show them to be somewhat warmer than they are due to smaller temperature fluctuations. Thus, in terms of summer, Astana has a greater advantage and the quality of the warmer half year is more important than the "heat" in winter. But at the same time, Astana's winter is just too harsh to be enjoyable.
Therefore, it is difficult to decide but however, a small advantage in favor of London.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather