Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which place has better weather
Seattle 57 42.22%
New York City 78 57.78%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 02:39 PM

265 posts, read 1,073,512 times

Advertisements

You know, high and low charts are fine and dandy, but on my day to day observations, temperatures in Seattle tend to be 20 DEGREES cooler than Hudson Valley NY from April to October, and 20 DEGREES WARMER from November to March!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2008, 05:06 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
You know, high and low charts are fine and dandy, but on my day to day observations, temperatures in Seattle tend to be 20 DEGREES cooler than Hudson Valley NY from April to October, and 20 DEGREES WARMER from November to March!

that's very possible, especially in the northern hudson valley (winter) and southern hudson valley (summer). however, the question was seattle -vs- new york CITY.

Old 05-08-2008, 05:33 PM

422 posts, read 758,341 times
There's a big difference between New York City and anywhere North of Rockland county.

Old 05-08-2008, 06:06 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
There's a big difference between New York City and anywhere North of Rockland county.
i'm about 50 miles west of NYC and i generally get twice as much snow and the winter temps are about 10 degrees cooler!

Old 05-09-2008, 07:13 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,042,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
i'm about 50 miles west of NYC and i generally get twice as much snow and the winter temps are about 10 degrees cooler!
In New Jersey????

Old 05-09-2008, 11:55 PM

399 posts, read 554,244 times
Its interesting is it not? How weather can definetly influence cultural ways of living.
But yes indie music is extremely popular in the Northwest, maybe weather is a large part of that..

Quote:
Originally Posted by What! View Post
Seattle. It is cloudy 277 days a year (which would explain why the indie rock music that originates there can be the most depressing in America, rivaled by Portland, OR).

Old 05-10-2008, 03:25 AM

263 posts, read 798,456 times
In all my travels on the internet, I've never seen so many excuses made for New York! It's almost perverse! New York has bitter cold weather and gray gloomy days just like Seattle, except colder! There is not that much natural light in Manhattan, which doesn't come close to comparing with the natural beauty of the Pacific Northwest. This summer you may see hundreds of thousands stranded in the humidity because of brownouts or the subways will stop because it rained too much. There is almost no hot/humid season afflicting Seattle, a veritable breath of fresh air. You're too funny!

Old 05-10-2008, 10:05 AM

146 posts, read 688,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilpainter View Post
In all my travels on the internet, I've never seen so many excuses made for New York! It's almost perverse! New York has bitter cold weather and gray gloomy days just like Seattle, except colder! There is not that much natural light in Manhattan, which doesn't come close to comparing with the natural beauty of the Pacific Northwest. This summer you may see hundreds of thousands stranded in the humidity because of brownouts or the subways will stop because it rained too much. There is almost no hot/humid season afflicting Seattle, a veritable breath of fresh air. You're too funny!
New York does not have as many cloudy days as Seattle. As for the overall weather, it's pretty much the same thing a good chunk of the Eastern U.S. has to deal with.

Old 05-10-2008, 11:03 AM

5,032 posts, read 12,606,184 times
I lived in NYC for 3 yrs & have visited Seattle during winters & summers. Totally different climates. For example: being clammy during winter in Seattle is quite different than the mugginess of NYC summers. On the West Coast, the warmer the temperature the lower the humidity. That is not the case for the East Coast.

Actually it’s a toss-up IMO [New York winters can be brutal. Seattle is wet but much milder & more comfortable outdoors. Winter can last well into spring in both cities. As humid as it is during a New York summer, I never found it unbearable like Houston or Miami. Plus every 10 days a shot of much cooler Canadian air would follow heavy thunderstorms & dry out everything in lower humidity. I like thunderstorms [esp. since they rarely happen in LA . Seattle has thunderstorms as well [though much less intense].

Summer in Seattle is well-worth the wait for some of the finest weather in the US. Mid to low humidity w/ spectacle sunny days & comfortable nights. It can get hot in western Washington & last for several weeks but never as sticky as NYC.

Autumns can still be humid in New York but also chilly as soon as September while Seattle is still enjoying the last of summer. Then both cities fall back into the long winter cycle.

Old 05-10-2008, 11:18 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilpainter View Post
NY is MUCH sunnier than Seattle, warmer in summer, not too terribly much colder in winter most of the time, and doesnt have the constant drizzle-in-your-face either. And Seattle is plenty humid most of the year, just a little drier in summer, whoop-de-do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather