Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2020, 08:39 AM

2,227 posts, read 1,403,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
Really? Is your location warmer than Chicago? I've seen snow plenty of times here in October. Last Halloween we had 4" of snow.

Currently nearly half of European model ensemble members now call for measurable #snow sometime between this weekend and Halloween.

Last year was very strange. We had officially over 8 inches of snow at ORD between Halloween and November 15th but then almost nothing for the second half of November through much of December. That was very annoying
I was in NYC area at the time. The first accumulating snow usually comes sometime in mid-late November based of my 20 years living there. Over here, it happens a week earlier, but I’ve only lived here for 5 years. I’ve seen snow more often in April than October.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2020, 09:45 AM

6,908 posts, read 7,668,387 times
First accumulating snow this morning. Including on sidewalks roads. Sun came out then it melted away.

Old 10-16-2020, 11:37 AM

5,621 posts, read 5,935,590 times
Front pushed through overnight but it didn't get really cold. Just upper 50s. We keep alternating between clear sunny skies and a long strand of clouds. Upper 60s right now. Very nice but will cool off this weekend and highs will stay in the mid to upper 60s. But it will warm up quickly with more upper 70s Tue through Fri. In fact Wednesday and Thursday both are forecast to have lows of 61 and highs of 79. That's the sort of weather I wanted late Sept but instead we were 10+ degrees below that. Crazy we're now having that weather in mid/late October. But that will end and looks like we'll have some of the coldest air of the season around the 27th/28th. But still nothing below 40 in sight. Average first freeze is early/mid November so we're still a ways out

Can tell fall is progressing. Definitely has that "Fall Look" even though colors aren't at peak yet. There's still plenty of colors and a lot of leaf fall. Plus the lower sun angle, sunset is now right at 7 pm and sunrise is 7:42 which is the latest it is in winter. Definitely does not seem like Summer anymore even though a lot of trees are still green and all the grass is still too

Old 10-16-2020, 11:53 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,216,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
Front pushed through overnight but it didn't get really cold. Just upper 50s. We keep alternating between clear sunny skies and a long strand of clouds. Upper 60s right now. Very nice but will cool off this weekend and highs will stay in the mid to upper 60s. But it will warm up quickly with more upper 70s Tue through Fri. In fact Wednesday and Thursday both are forecast to have lows of 61 and highs of 79. That's the sort of weather I wanted late Sept but instead we were 10+ degrees below that. Crazy we're now having that weather in mid/late October. But that will end and looks like we'll have some of the coldest air of the season around the 27th/28th. But still nothing below 40 in sight. Average first freeze is early/mid November so we're still a ways out

Can tell fall is progressing. Definitely has that "Fall Look" even though colors aren't at peak yet. There's still plenty of colors and a lot of leaf fall. Plus the lower sun angle, sunset is now right at 7 pm and sunrise is 7:42 which is the latest it is in winter. Definitely does not seem like Summer anymore even though a lot of trees are still green and all the grass is still too
Winters don’t get very cold in your area anymore, especially not like the 1960’s 1970’s and 1980’s. The Southeastern United States will become more solidly subtropical or even borderline tropical in climate by the end of my lifetime, assuming we don’t destroy ourselves well before then.

Old 10-16-2020, 01:04 PM

402 posts, read 192,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
Really? Is your location warmer than Chicago? I've seen snow plenty of times here in October. Last Halloween we had 4" of snow.

Currently nearly half of European model ensemble members now call for measurable #snow sometime between this weekend and Halloween.

Last year was very strange. We had officially over 8 inches of snow at ORD between Halloween and November 15th but then almost nothing for the second half of November through much of December. That was very annoying
Can confirm with Frozen, I have also only seen accumulation in October once, although I've seen flakes/ice pellets numerous times.

Old 10-16-2020, 02:26 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,216,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
It just started snowing - can't believe it. Heavy snowing!! No No No!
I can’t believe it either. It’s barely the middle of October. Chilly and sunny today in the Indianapolis area, breezy too. The weather channel says Indianapolis is at near peak conditions for fall foliage and I would tend to agree. What I don’t understand is why their map shows areas south of Indiana being at peak while Indiana is only at near peak conditions.

Old 10-16-2020, 02:49 PM

29,531 posts, read 19,620,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGweather View Post
Can confirm with Frozen, I have also only seen accumulation in October once, although I've seen flakes/ice pellets numerous times.
Interesting. Our average high is 63F/17C (actually 65F here in my far south suburb) and we don't usually get measurable snow in October having happened only in 12 years since 1885.

Old 10-16-2020, 04:49 PM

30,432 posts, read 21,255,233 times
More blazing 90's today and no chance of rain for weeks.

Old 10-16-2020, 04:51 PM

30,432 posts, read 21,255,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isleofpalms85 View Post
Winters don’t get very cold in your area anymore, especially not like the 1960’s 1970’s and 1980’s. The Southeastern United States will become more solidly subtropical or even borderline tropical in climate by the end of my lifetime, assuming we don’t destroy ourselves well before then.
Not a chance. Gonna dry out more like north Africa and see more 100's for highs.

Old 10-16-2020, 05:06 PM

29,531 posts, read 19,620,154 times
High temp was just 55F here and at MDW. Only 53F at ORD

Cold cold cold as we close out October in the eastern US

Euro has a +PNA for at least the next 2 weeks

Longer range CFSv2 says general pattern to be warm west colder east into the first part of November

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather