Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Brisbane or Bowling Green?
Brisbane 22 61.11%
Bowling Green 14 38.89%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2024, 07:28 AM

5,722 posts, read 3,504,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
I think a defining characteristic of southern US climates is an early, warm spring. Just look at these snapshots for March around the area

richmond:

montgomery:

^ people here will hyper fixate on the freezing temperature which occurred on March 19th. When you zoom out to the bigger picture you see why that doesn't matter all that much to the locals.

houston:

valdosta

mixed in these days in March and even into April will be some chilly nights but also many warm to hot days.
Brisbane gets warm springs too. Or maybe this was meant for the other thread?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2024, 07:50 AM

2,365 posts, read 1,850,107 times
I thought this was the Richmond/Auckland topic. Brisbane is a different animal from anything in NZ

Old 03-20-2024, 02:27 PM

402 posts, read 80,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesterlyWX View Post
Corryong has much cloudier winters than anywhere in the US at those latitudes. Cloudy winters are the antithesis, of 'subtropical'.
The reason Corryong has cloudy winters is because it is near Csa/Csb boundary. And winters can be cloudy in some subtropical places. The winters in KY are cloudy. KY is cloudy year round should I say. Only fall is bright and sunny in KY. Btw, the places of northern AL and TN climatepolice48 mentioned are not as cloudy as Corryong but winters are not sunny either(they are pure mix between sunny and cloudy). This winter here of FL was cloudier than usual, except Feb which was sunnier but not to sunny. Cloudy winters is not antithesis of subtropical really. Not all subtropical places or climates are the same. Clouds don’t decide if a place is subtropical climate or not. But Corryong if it gets Cfa it is barely, it is borderline to Cfb and near Csa/Csb. The f in Cfa makes winters cloudier than Cwa, and the fact that this Cfa/Cfb is transitional to Csa/Csb makes the winter season obviously be wetter so obviously cloudier.

Last edited by Subtropical-is-temperate3; 03-20-2024 at 02:35 PM..

Old 03-20-2024, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climatepolice48 View Post
Just remember for AUS and other SH people, US subtropical is Corryong’s winters with Brisbane summers. Simple description of a typical US subtropical climate.
Corryong’s temps in winter and Brisbane temps in summers is accurate to describe US subtropical. The cloudiness depends where you are. If you are in FL or Louisiana it would obviously have sunny winters, if you got to KY it is cloudy a lot of winter and the year(though fall is sunny specially early fall). Louisville KY is nearly as cloudy as Corryong in winter. Their year round sunshine difference is not by much.

Old 03-20-2024, 02:46 PM

Corryong is not a cloudy place compared to very cloudy places there is plenty on earth. The cloudier winters are compensated by drier sunnier summers than KY, but winters is slightly cloudier in winter than KY and sunnier in summer. Corryong is comparable to a place in US that is around 2° difference, so it can compare pretty well. KY winters are colder than Corryong, Corryong compares to Alabama is winter temperatures(at around 34°N in Alabama), summer highs compare perfectly to Northern Alabama, TN, KY in which Climatepolice48 and I know pretty well. But summer lows in Corryong are better and the cold snaps, cool nights are amazing compared to the terrible muggy nights and hell hot days of US south. Corryong’s summers might be a dream for people who come from KY. The wouldn’t care about the cloudiness of Corryong in winter it is not too different from KY anyways, the sunnier and cooler summer nights are better! Well that’s for most people I like KY’s climate, infact I love all climates to certain point.

Last edited by Subtropical-is-temperate3; 03-20-2024 at 02:55 PM..

Old 03-20-2024, 11:55 PM

901 posts, read 345,644 times
Oh for christ sake. Corryong's winters are cloudy for all the wrong reasons - being an indicator of low pressure systems off the Roaring Forties (a Subantarctic weather system). A true subtropical climate should NOT get any form of upper latitude low pressure in any month, not regularly that is.

Stop insisting on an oversimplified discussion and think outside the box for once. You're doing my head in.

Old 03-21-2024, 12:44 AM

2,926 posts, read 1,307,494 times
Bowling Green isn't subtropical. Not with those cold winters

Old 03-21-2024, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy234 View Post
Bowling Green isn't subtropical. Not with those cold winters
Ultimately I agree... I only use the textbook definition of subtropical. Meaning a climate that is warm to hot year round, and by warm I mean WARM. Not mild. We're talking winters that regularly stay above 20 C like eg. Coffs Harbour and Moree. Auckland does NOT have warm winters and should never be grouped in with places that have actual warm winters. It is an insult of the highest order.

Auckland is closer to London than to Coffs Harbour in climate. Fact.

Old 03-21-2024, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
Brisbane is a different animal from anything in NZ
Exactly. You may as well mention Ushuaia in the same sentence as Auckland, because it literally IS that different from Brisbane.

Auckland is NOT a warm climate. End of story

Don't even get me started on Motueka lmao, whose 'summers' are roughly equal to Brisbane's WINTERS ! - let that sink in for a moment, really gives you a whole new perspective as to what actually constitutes a warm winter doesn't it

Old 03-21-2024, 10:24 PM

89 posts, read 77,468 times
Brisbane 95% for me. I'm from the US, but it's just to much milder overall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather