Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2020, 03:22 AM

927 posts, read 585,484 times

Advertisements

Out of the fictional climate threads on here what would be the 'sweet' spot of having enough snow to have snow days but not enough snow to be reliably prepared enough or maybe climates that might surprise you at how much they shut down? Like Kansas you wouldn't think they'd shut down as often as they do considering they get more snow then Dallas unlike Dallas they don't really have an excuse except being lazy and throwing everything at welfare BS.

On from that though. What fictional climates have that 'sweet spot' like this Snow Day Map found on Reddit a long time ago?https://www.reddit.com/r/Portland/co...school_around/

I call BS on the map but for us it's right on the mark actually here in Oregon! It takes insane amounts of snow to shut things down over and east of the mountains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2020, 10:46 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,892,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanRabbi View Post
Out of the fictional climate threads on here what would be the 'sweet' spot of having enough snow to have snow days but not enough snow to be reliably prepared enough or maybe climates that might surprise you at how much they shut down? Like Kansas you wouldn't think they'd shut down as often as they do considering they get more snow then Dallas unlike Dallas they don't really have an excuse except being lazy and throwing everything at welfare BS.

On from that though. What fictional climates have that 'sweet spot' like this Snow Day Map found on Reddit a long time ago?https://www.reddit.com/r/Portland/co...school_around/

I call BS on the map but for us it's right on the mark actually here in Oregon! It takes insane amounts of snow to shut things down over and east of the mountains.
I am not sure about the West Coast since I haven't been there and am not familiar with the weather outside of what I have heard secondhand.

I grew up in the Oswego, NY area and remember school being cancelled a handful of times. Once because it snowed 6 feet overnight and another time because of extreme cold. 2, 3 or 4 feet of snow on the ground? Not a good enough reason to cancel school in the snow belt, lol. I finished my last year of high school in South Carolina and they got a dusting of snow and it was like the world was gonna end. They let school out early and everyone was panicking about less than a quarter of an inch of it.

My daughter finished her last years of school here (Erie) and was annoyed to find out that they also don't cancel school for snow They merely delayed it for 2 hours that day we got 5 feet dumped overnight.

I think I read somewhere that a lot of West Coast cities are more prone to ice vs. snow. If that is the case then I can see them cancelling school because any amount of ice is hell to drive on. I'd rather have 10 feet of snow than a glazing of ice.

Based on my time in the South (KY, TN) they do cancel school as soon as they spot a snowflake. When I lived in TN there was a freak snow and ice storm while I was at work. It took me 2 hours to get home instead of the normal 30 minutes since they don't have much snow removal equipment and unfortunately down there they tend to get ice instead of snow or a mix of ice and snow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather