U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best "continental" climate in the Southern Hemisphere?
Balmaceda 2 10.53%
Kiandra 12 63.16%
Maquinchao 5 26.32%
Puente del Inca 0 0%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2020, 08:47 PM

2,410 posts, read 1,468,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
They are also hard to classify. They are too cool for subpolar oceanic but too warm for tundra. It kinda gets annoying...
Koppen's system could do with some tweaks to better describe certain Southern Hemisphere climates.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2020, 11:42 PM

11,356 posts, read 9,856,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
Koppen's system could do with some tweaks to better describe certain Southern Hemisphere climates.
For sure.

Canberra, for instance, how is that an oceanic climate? I can't wrap my head around that one. It's a dry and sunny climate with hot summers (despite the cool nights). Doesn't that go against the idea of an oceanic climate? Many climates in or near the Great Dividing Ranges in the southeast are rather distinct and can't fall in either Cfb or Cfa. Places such as Myrtleford come in mind.

Old 09-08-2020, 11:10 AM

7,141 posts, read 4,619,097 times
Maquinchao means are almost like those of a german climate, it just has very large diurnal ranges in the summer.

That's probably my choice here.

Old 09-08-2020, 03:27 PM

1,051 posts, read 924,306 times
I guess I prefer Maquinchao for the seasonality and extremes, although its low precipitation is a significant downside.

Been to Puente del Inca once, it was February and I got a rare summer snowfall. The place is usually bone dry in the summer… and most of the time, as it averages a relative humidity of only 33%. Generally affected by the subtropical high, the place lives in a semi-perpetual foehn, only interrupted by the low pressure systems from the Pacific Ocean, which seasonally occurs in the winter months. So, I got an unseasonal storm system.

As the place is extremely (adiabatically) dry except when it’s reached by low pressure systems from higher latitudes, and as altitude makes the precipitation falls as snow, Puente del Inca is among the warmest places in the world in which most of its precipitation falls as snow. When some rare rain showers happen in the summer months, there are awful landslides in the area.

Old 09-08-2020, 11:52 PM

18,618 posts, read 16,232,992 times
Surprised Alexandra NZ isn't on here - has a comparable seasonal range to Maquinchao, but is much closer to the sea than the four options on here, as well as much lower in altitude (110 metres asl). Not necessarily a Continental climate, but certainly showing a pronounced seasonal range despite being a much more Oceanic location than any of the four locations.

Maquinchao for me - best of a bad bunch

Old 09-09-2020, 12:03 AM

566 posts, read 235,554 times
Kiandra for being the wettest of the bunch.

Old 09-09-2020, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Surprised Alexandra NZ isn't on here - has a comparable seasonal range to Maquinchao, but is much closer to the sea than the four options on here, as well as much lower in altitude (110 metres asl). Not necessarily a Continental climate, but certainly showing a pronounced seasonal range despite being a much more Oceanic location than any of the four locations.

Maquinchao for me - best of a bad bunch
I was totally aware of it, but I focused on climates that had a winter mean of 0C at the lowest. Alexandra only goes down to 2.9C. But yes, it is certainly "continental" as far as its seasonal range goes.

Old 09-09-2020, 09:45 PM

18,618 posts, read 16,232,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
I was totally aware of it, but I focused on climates that had a winter mean of 0C at the lowest. Alexandra only goes down to 2.9C. But yes, it is certainly "continental" as far as its seasonal range goes.
Particularly given it's low altitude and proximity to the ocean - a much more enhanced effect than the others.

Old 09-12-2020, 12:07 AM

2,841 posts, read 1,515,008 times
Kiandra for being relatively wet.

Old 12-01-2020, 06:31 AM

Any love for Puente del Inca?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather