U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which fictional climate do you prefer?
Caged Bird Sings 3 27.27%
Another Heaven 3 27.27%
Shiratama Anmitsu 3 27.27%
Batsu Game 2 18.18%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2020, 01:42 PM

295 posts, read 133,887 times

Advertisements

This will be the final climate battle in a 4-part series. Each battle features 1 fictional climate inspired by each of the 4 anime series I used for inspiration. Feel free to rate, and vote for the climate you would most enjoy/least hate living in! This climate battle consists of 4 climates with relatively high sunshine levels for their respective climate type or precipitation regime. (They also have relatively uniform seasonal temperature lag for some reason.)

Spoiler
I used to make a ton of fictional climates when I was a teenager, but grew out of it during college. In 2014-2015 I watched 4 anime series my college friends recommended, and was inspired to make 4 sets of 4 fictional climates based on each anime. Thought I'd share them with this forum now.

Anime #1 is a sci-fi anime set in Tokyo during summer 2010, Anime #2 is a murder mystery anime set in 1980s rural Japan, Anime #3 is set in a post-apocalyptic fictional universe, and Anime #4 is based on a slice-of-life visual novel that I have no interest in playing and will not describe further. I'll let the Japanese pop culture enthusiasts guess what they are. NOTE: Climate #1 doesn't necessarily correspond to Anime #1, Climate #2 doesn't necessarily correspond to Anime #2, etc.

Sunny Climate #1: Caged Bird Sings

Located in a subtropical valley flanked by low mountain ranges on a relatively maritime continent. The nearby coast experiences frequent warm-season coastal fog that advances inland through a water gap at night, resulting in very stable nighttime low temperatures. Natural vegetation is transitional between coniferous forest, oak savanna, and chaparral.

Sunny Climate #2: Another Heaven

Coastal highland 1000 to 1500 m above sea level on the equatorward edge of a large desert. The immediate coastal area is subject to a seasonal monsoon that generates coastal upwelling and fog during the "rainy" season. Natural vegetation is dry scrub interspersed with monsoon cloud forest.

Sunny Climate #3: Shiratama Anmitsu

Temperate east-coast plain that experiences a monsoon, located several hundred kilometers south of a mountain range that*shields the region from polar intrusions. The location is on a medium-sized, deep inland lake, so there is some seasonal lag despite not being on the coast. Natural vegetation is a conifer-evergreen broadleaf forest mosaic similar to the US Upper South.

Sunny Climate #4: Batsu Game

Subtropical coastal strip on an inland sea prone to thunderstorms during shoulder seasons due to a shifting jet stream and colliding continental and maritime air masses. Natural vegetation includes palm trees everywhere and drought-tolerant, heat-loving woodland-savanna off the beach

Link to Part 1

Link to Part 2

Link to Part 3
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2020, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyche_da_mike24 View Post
Sunny Climate #1: Caged Bird Sings

Located in a subtropical valley flanked by low mountain ranges on a relatively maritime continent. The nearby coast experiences frequent warm-season coastal fog that advances inland through a water gap at night, resulting in very stable nighttime low temperatures. Natural vegetation is transitional between coniferous forest, oak savanna, and chaparral.
https://i.imgur.com/5ZBC7wr.png

Sunny Climate #2: Another Heaven

Coastal highland 1000 to 1500 m above sea level on the equatorward edge of a large desert. The immediate coastal area is subject to a seasonal monsoon that generates coastal upwelling and fog during the "rainy" season. Natural vegetation is dry scrub interspersed with monsoon cloud forest.
https://i.imgur.com/tObH8TG.png

Sunny Climate #3: Shiratama Anmitsu

Temperate east-coast plain that experiences a monsoon, located several hundred kilometers south of a mountain range that*shields the region from polar intrusions. The location is on a medium-sized, deep inland lake, so there is some seasonal lag despite not being on the coast. Natural vegetation is a conifer-evergreen broadleaf forest mosaic similar to the US Upper South.
https://i.imgur.com/4y98J0r.png

Sunny Climate #4: Batsu Game

Subtropical coastal strip on an inland sea prone to thunderstorms during shoulder seasons due to a shifting jet stream and colliding continental and maritime air masses. Natural vegetation includes palm trees everywhere and drought-tolerant, heat-loving woodland-savanna off the beach
https://i.imgur.com/icCX7wA.png

Caged Bird Sings (#1) Classification-
Köppen: Csa, Trewartha: Cs, Psyche_da_mike24: Bsa

Another Heaven (#2) Classification-
Köppen: BWh, Trewartha: BW, Psyche_da_mike24: BRa

Shiratama Anmitsu (#3) Classification-
Köppen: Cwa, Trewartha: Cw, Psyche_da_mike24: Cwa

Batsu Game (#4) Classification-
Köppen: Cfa, Trewartha: Cf, Psyche_da_mike24: Bfa

Old 04-29-2021, 10:53 AM

623 posts, read 147,879 times
Another Heaven gets C. It has best summers, but too warm in winter.
Shiratama Amnitsu (Siratama Annitu in Kunrey system) gets C. It has best winters, but too hot in summer.
Batsu Game gets D+. It's too warm in winter abd too hot and sunny in summer.
Caged Bird Songs gets D. It has crooked precipitaion pattern and drawbacks of previous climate.

Old 04-29-2021, 02:29 PM

285 posts, read 83,861 times
Shiratama Anmitsu for rainfall.
Another Heaven for temperature.

Old Yesterday, 08:01 PM

330 posts, read 201,088 times
Which of these climates would most likely have power outages and shut downs from severe weather?

Old Today, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanRabbi View Post
Which of these climates would most likely have power outages and shut downs from severe weather?
Definitely not #2. I would say #4 since it’s most prone to the kind of thunderstorms that can spawn tornados (it’s loosely based on East Texas), although you could also make an argument for #1 (NorCal inspired) or #3 (loosely based on East China + the US Upper South).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather