Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2021, 11:02 PM

11,651 posts, read 12,943,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrappyJoe View Post
That's what I mean, you'd very rarely see such a thing happen in the middle of summer in the Northern Hemisphere subtropics - especially Asia, as well as North America to a lesser extent. A break like that in such a low-latitude is a total unicorn.
Well it did go down to 8°C in Melbourne and surrounds.

-1.7°C was the lowest, in Mount Buller. Today it had a high of only 3.3°C.

The vortex is now moving more east:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2021, 01:40 AM

1,223 posts, read 720,811 times
To give an example of the changeable summer conditions on the southern coasts of Victoria
Take note of the Dec fluctuations at Port Fairy ! 24.6c on the 19th, 45.2c on the 20th and 18.2c on the 21st !
Daily Maximum Temperature - 090175 - Bureau of Meteorology

Old 01-16-2021, 07:12 AM

1,965 posts, read 1,265,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
Well it did go down to 8°C in Melbourne and surrounds.

-1.7°C was the lowest, in Mount Buller. Today it had a high of only 3.3°C.

The vortex is now moving more east:
I wonder how such events interact with the Australian monsoon. I'm not sure how far south the monsoonal influence extends, but I imagine that such vortex outbreaks could dampen it. Depends on the specifics regarding the SAM, I believe.

Old 01-16-2021, 03:03 PM

Quote:
I wonder how such events interact with the Australian monsoon. I'm not sure how far south the monsoonal influence extends, but I imagine that such vortex outbreaks could dampen it. Depends on the specifics regarding the SAM, I believe.
In my experience ( and not science or meteorologically backed ), little or no impact.
There are many factors that influence our monsoons, including El Nino/La Nina, the IOD ( Indian Ocean Dipole ) the MJO ( Madden-Julien Oscillation ), SSt's etc.
The summer cold outbreaks down south mostly only effect the south regions of the Continent.
Much of the summer rainfall in the Inland relies on infusions of moisture produced by the monsoons. Some years the Monsoon Trough may extend as far south as Central Australia ( Alice Springs district ).

Old 01-16-2021, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greysrigging View Post
In my experience ( and not science or meteorologically backed ), little or no impact.
There are many factors that influence our monsoons, including El Nino/La Nina, the IOD ( Indian Ocean Dipole ) the MJO ( Madden-Julien Oscillation ), SSt's etc.
The summer cold outbreaks down south mostly only effect the south regions of the Continent.
Much of the summer rainfall in the Inland relies on infusions of moisture produced by the monsoons. Some years the Monsoon Trough may extend as far south as Central Australia ( Alice Springs district ).
That's good. I suppose as long as those cold outbreaks are limited to the southern areas, and don't have too many perturbances in the upper-levels, the monsoon could still go on strong - albeit with some break periods depending on the level of disturbance. But nevertheless, the SE Trades do wind up converging along the Trough, so I think areas along their path could also get heavy, seasonal rains - places like Townsville, Brisbane, Coff's Harbour, etc. West Australia might get the influence too, but more erratic - Broome, and perhaps even as far south as Perth occasionally.

Old 01-16-2021, 04:56 PM

Quote:
That's good. I suppose as long as those cold outbreaks are limited to the southern areas, and don't have too many perturbances in the upper-levels, the monsoon could still go on strong - albeit with some break periods depending on the level of disturbance. But nevertheless, the SE Trades do wind up converging along the Trough, so I think areas along their path could also get heavy, seasonal rains - places like Townsville, Brisbane, Coff's Harbour, etc. West Australia might get the influence too, but more erratic - Broome, and perhaps even as far south as Perth occasionally.
During the winter months, a 'polar outbreak' can reach deep into the tropics, and produce snowfalls along the Great Dividing Ranges as far north as Southern Queensland. The one in my living memory was in 1984 with snow reported in Toowoomba ( lat 27.6*S, alt 691m )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtAZXsa0m3k

Old 01-18-2021, 09:15 AM

3,187 posts, read 4,586,474 times
Rather muggy in Perth this afternoon and received barely over a trace of rain (0.2mm), enough to break a dry spell of 35 days without rain. Average maximum temperature for the month so far is 34C which is well above average due to the unusually persistent offshore winds.

Forecast for the next week looks a little more mild and seasonal with max temperatures between 28C and 34 C forecast.

Old 01-20-2021, 09:19 AM

2,947 posts, read 2,914,764 times
Peak of the summer ahead for us. I knew that it would be impossible to avoid in the current era.

Old 01-21-2021, 11:14 PM

Tropical rain to follow heatwave and fire danger

An intense summer heatwave will sweep across southern and eastern Australia this weekend and early next week, before a burst of tropical rain douses the nation's south.

A near-stationary high pressure system over the Tasman Sea will cause hot air from central Australia to spread through the nation's southern and eastern states in the coming days.

Temperatures could climb more than 10ºC above average in some areas, with the abnormal summer heat lingering for a few days and nights. This intense heat will persist for long enough to be classified as a severe or extreme heatwave in multiple states and territories. These are the two highest categories on the three-tiered scale used in Australia.

Image: Forecast surface temperature at 4pm AEST during each of the next six days, according to the ECMWF-HRES model.
The impending heat, which will be dangerous on its own, will also elevate the risk of bush and grass fires in some areas.

South Australia's Country Fire Service has issued total fire bans for six of the state's 15 districts on Sunday and four on Monday, with fire danger ratings anticipated to reach Severe to Extreme levels.

Severe fire danger has also been forecast in parts of Victoria and NSW on Monday, which will be the hottest day of the heatwave in both states.

Temperatures will reach the low to mid-forties over inland areas of central, southern and eastern Australia between Friday and Monday. Some capital cities are also in line to have at least one day in the forties, including Adelaide on Sunday, Melbourne on Monday and western Sydney on Tuesday.

There's a good chance that the impending heatwave in southeastern Australia will be enhanced by a tropical low pressure system that's currently developing near northwestern Australia. The link between these two weather events at opposite ends of the country was discovered by Australia researchers after the heatwave that preceded the Black Saturday bushfires in 2009.

But this complex interaction isn't the only way southeastern Australia will feel the effects of the tropical low.

After making landfall along the north coast of WA on Friday night as a low pressure system or weak tropical cyclone, the remnants of this system are likely to carry a large mass of moisture-laden air towards southern Australia.

Image: Forecast accumulated rain between now and next Friday according to the ECMWF model.
A number of forecast models suggest that this injection of tropical air will cause rain and possibly thunderstorms over the Red Centre from Sunday before spreading over parts of South Australia, Victoria, Tasmania and NSW next week.

This rain could cause flooding in some areas and might also help to put out bushfires that were ignited during the heatwave preceding it.
( source: Weatherzone )

Old 01-22-2021, 02:21 PM

I've heard some conflicting reports. On one hand, it's said that the Southern Hemisphere westerlies are more often in uninterrupted, zonal flow compared to the Northern Hemisphere counterparts. But I've also heard that the westerlies there don't really retract as far poleward as the Northern Hemisphere counterpart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather