U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: What's your LEAST favorite climate type?
Tropical [AF/AM/AS] 6 12.50%
Hot Desert [BWH] 14 29.17%
Cold Desert [BWK] 3 6.25%
Semi-Arid [BSH/BSK] 0 0%
Subtropical [CFA/CWA] 0 0%
Oceanic [CFB/CWB] 0 0%
Subpolar Oceanic [CFC/CWC] 1 2.08%
Hot Summer Mediterranean [CSA] 0 0%
Warm Summer Mediterranean [CSB] 1 2.08%
Hot Summer Contenental [DSA/DWA/DFA] 2 4.17%
Warm Summer Continental [DSB/DWB/DFB] 0 0%
Subarctic [DSC/DSD/DWC/DWD/DFC/DFD] 2 4.17%
Arctic [ET/EF] 19 39.58%
Other/something more specific 0 0%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-22-2020, 12:41 AM
 
Location: Denver, Colorado
131 posts, read 38,881 times
Reputation: 52

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cevven View Post
I agree with you on the bugs part because I'm not a fan of most insects (some are beautiful and I respect they are part of nature) and I'm a mosquito magnet. Other than that, I LOVE warm/hot year round climates. I do understand in many tropical places, they are targets for powerful cyclones but them again, temperate regions get them too, all the time. As for severe weather (severe thunderstorms and tornadoes), I find that the midwestern and parts of the southeast US is the main haven for that because of the geography and how those polarizing air masses clash to produce all those violent tornadoes and severe thunderstorms with insane straight line winds. The air in the tropics are more stable (rarely any strong cold fronts clashing with hot tropical air in those regions) outside of tropical cyclone systems that start off in the ocean.

Now the warm, drier climates - I like those as well. I do like the Mediterranean more than desert of course (the former clearly has more vegetation and more moisture). However, I need some rain and humidity once in a while. I know I'm quite different preferring the later (most ppl seam to hate humidity and heat together), though.
The hotter summer parts of the US midwest and southeast are outlier in non-tropical storminess though. Otherwise all tropical parts of the world are very stormy according to this map. https://weather.com/safety/thunderst...sala-2013-2017
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-22-2020, 12:46 AM
 
233 posts, read 54,744 times
Reputation: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by cevven View Post
I agree with you on the bugs part because I'm not a fan of most insects (some are beautiful and I respect they are part of nature) and I'm a mosquito magnet. Other than that, I LOVE warm/hot year round climates. I do understand in many tropical places, they are targets for powerful cyclones but them again, temperate regions get them too, all the time. As for severe weather (severe thunderstorms and tornadoes), I find that the midwestern and parts of the southeast US is the main haven for that because of the geography and how those polarizing air masses clash to produce all those violent tornadoes and severe thunderstorms with insane straight line winds. The air in the tropics are more stable (rarely any strong cold fronts clashing with hot tropical air in those regions) outside of tropical cyclone systems that start off in the ocean.

Now the warm, drier climates - I like those as well. I do like the Mediterranean more than desert of course (the former clearly has more vegetation and more moisture). However, I need some rain and humidity once in a while. I know I'm quite different preferring the later (most ppl seam to hate humidity and heat together), though.
Same. I like heat, humidity and heavy rains.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2020, 12:56 AM
 
Location: Southern Nevada
4,266 posts, read 1,753,892 times
Reputation: 5716
I grew up in northern Illinois and don't know if that qualifies as sub-Arctic but it sure felt like that in the winter. I hated it. Too cold, too much snow, and then it rained all summer. It seemed like a rarity to have a nice sunny day.

Now we live in Southern Nevada. Summers are hot but not too bad with the low humidity. The other 9 months are just about perfect. We could use more rain, but it is the desert.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2020, 01:20 AM
 
Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
24,842 posts, read 9,660,623 times
Reputation: 8092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post
I grew up in northern Illinois and don't know if that qualifies as sub-Arctic but it sure felt like that in the winter. I hated it. Too cold, too much snow, and then it rained all summer. It seemed like a rarity to have a nice sunny day.

Now we live in Southern Nevada. Summers are hot but not too bad with the low humidity. The other 9 months are just about perfect. We could use more rain, but it is the desert.
The only subpolar climates in the lower 48 are in the mountains above 10k ft in CA,NV,AZ&NM; above 9k ft in UT&CO; above 8k ft in WY&ID and above 7k ft in OR,WA&MT
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2020, 01:21 AM
 
233 posts, read 54,744 times
Reputation: 122
You should have made it multiple choice. I hate Arctic and desert climates the most.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2020, 01:49 AM
 
Location: Nirvana
345 posts, read 77,949 times
Reputation: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzardman View Post
The hotter summer parts of the US midwest and southeast are outlier in non-tropical storminess though. Otherwise all tropical parts of the world are very stormy according to this map. https://weather.com/safety/thunderst...sala-2013-2017
Yeah, that's a good map. The rising hot air from the lower troposphere and at surface clashes with colder air aloft and water vapor condenses to create those tropical downpours and lightning storms. However, looking at the map, the central US, while an outlier as you've mentioned, has largest, densest areas of darker violet and blue than other areas.

Major sun belt subtropical cities like Houston, based on the map, have very high values on that map as they are in the "blue" (64 or more strikes a year per square kilometer - while most of the Amazon has anywhere between 16 and 32 lightning strikes per square kilometer)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2020, 09:16 AM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ
3,270 posts, read 1,629,224 times
Reputation: 8447
Wherever snow is, you won't find me living there.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2020, 12:59 PM
 
Location: Toronto
205 posts, read 60,546 times
Reputation: 142
Tropical because there is absolutely no break from the heat and humidity. Hot desert is a close second but at least the mornings should be comfortable enough.

Not gonna pick arctic, there are a lot of decent (by Arctic standards) ET climates that are hospitable all 12 months (although EF would the single worst classification, worse than tropical)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2020, 01:02 PM
 
Location: Fort Lauderdale, Florida
11,330 posts, read 10,094,882 times
Reputation: 25254
Cold.

I never want to be cold.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2020, 01:17 PM
 
Location: Norway
18 posts, read 7,165 times
Reputation: 35
I'm surprised nobody mentioned polar icecap. It's probably so awful it's not even on the list.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top