U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 05:07 PM

9,594 posts, read 25,769,842 times

Advertisements

I bet a lot of you were wondering how I can handle so much heat or why cool to cold weather bothers me at times. I'm thinking it's 50/50 parts mental and physical.

I've spent most of my life "almost" shivering, like indoors at 70-72 F I feel a slight coolness on my skin... and that might be the warmest I feel for 5-7 months straight. I've spent most of my life, anywhere from 2/3rds to 3/4's of the time after say age 8 worrying or wondering if I'll get goosebumps, or worse.

I've also discovered recently that I only feel warm enough when I'm almost close to sweating.

Does this make sense?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2008, 09:22 PM

22,409 posts, read 32,127,417 times
Well I am only comfortable when I'm almost cold.

Old 05-09-2008, 12:15 AM

5,054 posts, read 6,294,064 times
yes it makes a lot of sense. Cold and cloud is mentally depressing and physically unpleasant.

Old 05-09-2008, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by §AB View Post
yes it makes a lot of sense. Cold and cloud is mentally depressing and physically unpleasant.
Not to me! I love it!

Old 05-09-2008, 09:33 AM

20,005 posts, read 72,971,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by §AB View Post
Its only depressing to crybabies.

Old 05-09-2008, 03:16 PM

845 posts, read 2,609,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
I guess I must be a cry baby!

Old 05-09-2008, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
I often find it depressing if I don't have much to do.

If I'm already busy it's usually easy to ignore.

Old 05-09-2008, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Well I am only comfortable when I'm almost cold.
Were you saying you sweat too easily?
Is that only reason you prefer being almost cold or are there other reasons?

Maybe there's something to this mental thing...
Do you find you can accept or ignore more warmth when you're busy?

It's funny that you mention wanting to move to western NC partly because you love cold. I would actually like to live in western NC instead of Ontario because it's warmer and sunnier. Not in summer, but fall, winter and spring. 60's+ F and calm sunshine are scarce as chicken's teeth 5-7 months a year here, while everywhere in NC 60's+ F are common 8-12 months a year.

Old 05-09-2008, 07:36 PM

I wonder if the reason I can adapt to high heat indexes like 105-110 F is mostly mental.

I was thinking since I do not like not being somewhat warm (like at least slightly noticeable amounts of body heat from every part of my body) that when the heat index is high, it only heats me slightly higher than my "comfort level." I can also imagine that getting mad, irritable or stressed would only increase circulation and the bodies internal heat generation. Sometimes when I feel overheated I can focus on relaxing that hot body part and I feel almost instant relief.

It would be very interesting if 90-100% of my tolerance to "dangerous" heat indexes is attributed to my attitude alone...
(Could be, but if I had to make a hypothesis I'd err on 50/50 mental and physical.)

Cold is the opposite; getting mad, stressed or irritable helps make your body work better while relaxing "bites you in the butt" by dropping circulation and heat output.

Old 05-09-2008, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Were you saying you sweat too easily?
Is that only reason you prefer being almost cold or are there other reasons?

Maybe there's something to this mental thing...
Do you find you can accept or ignore more warmth when you're busy?

It's funny that you mention wanting to move to western NC partly because you love cold. I would actually like to live in western NC instead of Ontario because it's warmer and sunnier. Not in summer, but fall, winter and spring. 60's+ F and calm sunshine are scarce as chicken's teeth 5-7 months a year here, while everywhere in NC 60's+ F are common 8-12 months a year.
Yes I sweat very easy, I am VERY hot natured. And I HATE being hot. I have never been able to accept or ignore the heat here, and the busier I am, the hotter I am. Yes one reason we want to move to NC is because of the winter. They have winter, but like like further up north. And summer is definitely better there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather