Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which very sunny place do you prefer?
Aswan 2 11.11%
Calama 7 38.89%
Dampier 9 50.00%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2021, 08:30 PM

11,650 posts, read 12,941,545 times

Advertisements

Which of these very sunny areas/cities do you prefer?

Aswan, Egypt: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aswan#Climate
Calama, Chile: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calama...hy_and_Climate
Dampier, Western Australia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dampie...tralia#Climate

I left out Yuma AZ because they use a different measurement system in the US that overstates sunshine hours (so it's unfair to include it), and as well as other cities in Sudan and Chad that are a mishmash of Aswan and Dampier anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2021, 09:29 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,120,375 times
Yuma has bright blue skies most of the time, how can you overstate that? I would think places that have more partly cloudy skies would see a bigger difference in sunshine when using the two different systems.

Old 02-07-2021, 11:35 PM

11,650 posts, read 12,941,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
Yuma has bright blue skies most of the time, how can you overstate that? I would think places that have more partly cloudy skies would see a bigger difference in sunshine when using the two different systems.
Yuma is very sunny, no doubt about that. Nobody is overstating its frequent amount of blue skies. But it's not the sunniest place in the world per se. What we're saying here is that its sunshine hours at 4,000 hrs+ are overstated and inequivalent to the sunshine hours of other cities used in the "normal" system. Its actual standard sunshine hours are around 3750 or so (maybe 3800hrs in a good year), akin to Dampier's. That's still extremely sunny, but not as sunny as Calama and Aswan.

Old 02-08-2021, 12:24 AM

167 posts, read 111,840 times
Calama looks nice enough it's not a contest at all, those other climates remind me of hell. That diurnal variation would take some getting used to but it seems pretty steady throughout the year. That constant season-less sunshine doesn't sound too fun but at least Calama is never too hot.

Old 02-08-2021, 04:08 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,358,171 times
I've been to Calama, albeit 5 decades ago. It is a high elevation (2300 m / 7500 ft) city in the Atacama desert. It is fairly prosperous in comparison to most other medium sized cities in South America due to the huge copper mining industry there.
The copper mining jobs pay pretty well, and that money flows into all the service related jobs that support it. Add in a bit of tourism at nearby San Pedro de Atacama, and that brings some visitors into Calama. It is a very livable place, especially since I speak Spanish and attended a year of high school in Chile when I was 17 (but not in Calama).

Unlike Yuma or the other places in this poll, if you live in a somewhat well insulated house, air conditioning in Calama is not needed. The temps always are cool in the summer from sunset until several hours after sunrise. Everyone needs some kind of heating in the house, because winter night time temps are frigid.

Old 02-08-2021, 10:24 AM

2,946 posts, read 2,914,264 times
Interesting that Dampier is so sunny for a coastal place.

Old 02-21-2021, 02:09 PM

270 posts, read 481,395 times
I love the desert and the continous sunshine. I've already experienced in Morocco and Botswana and I really enjoyed!

So I would say Aswan, Egypt. Definitely.

The weather is absolutely gorgeous here. Skies unbelievably clear. The sunniest city in the world by a distance.

Of course desert heat can become an issue much of the year in such an arid land but air conditionning and the proximity of Aswan to the mighty Nile River would make it less umconfortable. Plus it's a DRY heat!

Old 02-21-2021, 02:12 PM

270 posts, read 481,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
Yuma is very sunny, no doubt about that. Nobody is overstating its frequent amount of blue skies. But it's not the sunniest place in the world per se. What we're saying here is that its sunshine hours at 4,000 hrs+ are overstated and inequivalent to the sunshine hours of other cities used in the "normal" system. Its actual standard sunshine hours are around 3750 or so (maybe 3800hrs in a good year), akin to Dampier's. That's still extremely sunny, but not as sunny as Calama and Aswan.
Thanks man.

Yuma, AZ is nowhere near to be the sunniest city in the world, let alone the sunniest place on Earth.

Aswan, Egypt and Calama, Chile experience on average much clearer skies than Yuma.

Old 02-21-2021, 09:18 PM

208 posts, read 152,206 times
Calama, without doubt, I’ve been once and the weather is almost always nice there. The other 2 cities are F climates, while Calama is a B-.

Old 02-21-2021, 09:51 PM

1,543 posts, read 2,956,220 times
Of those three, I prefer Dampier because it has enough annual precipitation to have some interesting desert vegetation. The other 2 are too dry to have much (or any) native vegetation (except in areas of surface water). But Aswan would be number 2 for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather