U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2021, 07:21 PM

84 posts, read 60,707 times

Advertisements

By "best", I mean sunny and warm with low/moderate humidity. A light breeze is OK, but I'm over the wind.

I've tried various low elevation areas in AZ, but found them to be WAY too windy, especially in spring. Phoenix and some parts of Tuscon aren't so windy, but that's only because the surrounding mountains protect them from the wind. I don't want to stay in a city or the suburbs.

Haven't tried South Florida/Keys etc, but honestly from what I've seen it's way too crowded.

Most of the USA is blown out over spring. The whole season is mostly a right-off, if you want to camp and do outdoor activities.

Australia, being in the southern hemisphere, is a natural choice, since Dec-April is their summer/fall. But summer (Dec/Jan/Feb) is their cyclone/rainy season.

It's a big wide world out there, so where has this elusive nice weather Dec-April? I'm guessing it's going to be in the southern hemisphere and/or near the equator. Or maybe it just doesn't exist anywhere this time of year?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2021, 09:40 PM

190 posts, read 69,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Blank View Post
By "best", I mean sunny and warm with low/moderate humidity. A light breeze is OK, but I'm over the wind.

I've tried various low elevation areas in AZ, but found them to be WAY too windy, especially in spring. Phoenix and some parts of Tuscon aren't so windy, but that's only because the surrounding mountains protect them from the wind. I don't want to stay in a city or the suburbs.

Haven't tried South Florida/Keys etc, but honestly from what I've seen it's way too crowded.

Most of the USA is blown out over spring. The whole season is mostly a right-off, if you want to camp and do outdoor activities.

Australia, being in the southern hemisphere, is a natural choice, since Dec-April is their summer/fall. But summer (Dec/Jan/Feb) is their cyclone/rainy season.

It's a big wide world out there, so where has this elusive nice weather Dec-April? I'm guessing it's going to be in the southern hemisphere and/or near the equator. Or maybe it just doesn't exist anywhere this time of year?
I honestly think that in the United States, South Florida is by far your best option. The southeast FL coast is densely populated, but the southwest coast is significantly less built up. Just about no one lives in the inland part of South FL. The weather is consistently warm in winter there, it’s the only area of the US to have a tropical climate. It’s also much drier than you may expect, “winter” there is the dry season. If you want to go outside of the US, look into Cabo in México or coastal Perú and Chile. But South Florida’s winters, despite rare cool blasts, are generally warm with mostly 70s and 80s and lots of sun, so that may be your best bet.

Old 04-19-2021, 03:23 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
25,838 posts, read 10,228,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsfan257 View Post
I honestly think that in the United States, South Florida is by far your best option. The southeast FL coast is densely populated, but the southwest coast is significantly less built up. Just about no one lives in the inland part of South FL. The weather is consistently warm in winter there, it’s the only area of the US to have a tropical climate. It’s also much drier than you may expect, “winter” there is the dry season. If you want to go outside of the US, look into Cabo in México or coastal Perú and Chile. But South Florida’s winters, despite rare cool blasts, are generally warm with mostly 70s and 80s and lots of sun, so that may be your best bet.
No one lives in inland South FL because it's almost all within Everglades National Park

Old 04-19-2021, 07:00 AM

19,473 posts, read 12,732,101 times
Plenty of places to live in Glades county without peeps or traffic. That is my next place to live and at least i will get 4 times the rain i do where i am on the gulf in the summer.

Old 04-19-2021, 12:55 PM

I will have to check out SW Florida, I've never been. But my passion is motorcycles (on and off road) and I hear the riding is not good at all. TBH, I think Mexico is going to have a similar problem, as will just about all non-first world locations, but for different reasons (safety/logistics). I took a good long look at Baja for the riding, but it looks pretty windy over all. La Paz is sheltered but it's the exception, and I don't like busy areas.

Australia (QLD) is rather expensive, but they have good roads and some public off road riding areas. It's not windy over-all, but it's stormy Dec-Feb.

It's probably unlikely that I can find everything I want, so I will probably have to compromise somewhere.

Old 04-20-2021, 12:50 AM

11,348 posts, read 9,839,525 times
Quote:

In the southwest it is the dry season though. Adelaide and Perth are very dry and sunny at that time of the year. The east coast is more moist and humid, such as Sydney and Brisbane (akin to the USA, where the west coast has dry summers and the east is more rainier). But I'm sure the heat will bother you there more so than the cyclones and rainfall either way. Summers can be very hot.

Old 04-20-2021, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
In the southwest it is the dry season though. Adelaide and Perth are very dry and sunny at that time of the year. The east coast is more moist and humid, such as Sydney and Brisbane (akin to the USA, where the west coast has dry summers and the east is more rainier). But I'm sure the heat will bother you there more so than the cyclones and rainfall either way. Summers can be very hot.

I didn't know that, thanks! How is the wind that time of year? I'm assuming that the beaches get windy in the afternoon, but is WA considered a windy area? Is the water warm that time of year? I know the QLD in general has nice water temps in the summer IIRC.

Old 04-20-2021, 09:30 PM

11,348 posts, read 9,839,525 times
Quote:
I didn't know that, thanks! How is the wind that time of year? I'm assuming that the beaches get windy in the afternoon, but is WA considered a windy area? Is the water warm that time of year? I know the QLD in general has nice water temps in the summer IIRC.
Yep. It's because they have a Mediterranean climate like SoCal, so that means dry summers and wet winters. Most of Australia is calmer in autumn and winter (April-August). Even though Perth is the windiest city in Australia, it isn't terribly windy.

The east coast has warmer winters, especially Queensland, but Sydney is up there too. But Queensland can be too stormy. So you may enjoy its warm waters, but they can be disrupted by heavy rainfall and storm events.

Old 04-22-2021, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
Yep. It's because they have a Mediterranean climate like SoCal, so that means dry summers and wet winters. Most of Australia is calmer in autumn and winter (April-August). Even though Perth is the windiest city in Australia, it isn't terribly windy.

The east coast has warmer winters, especially Queensland, but Sydney is up there too. But Queensland can be too stormy. So you may enjoy its warm waters, but they can be disrupted by heavy rainfall and storm events.

OK, thanks for the clarification. Neither wind or rain is particularity appealing, especially if you're traveling half way round the world looking to better AZ winters.

I've been using windy.com to monitor the wind in various locations, but I don't see an option for historical data unfortunately.

Old Yesterday, 04:46 PM

4,010 posts, read 1,240,513 times
Best weather from December through April (climate, warm, rainfall, storm) ? ?

Many and more places in Florida with very low density if that is your bag !!!!

Fantastic time of the year for the Sunshine Land !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather