Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2021, 02:51 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,292,168 times

Advertisements

The new 30-year averages from NOAA are due to be released a week from today. From what I’ve read, most of the U.S. is hotter now, and some areas get higher rainfall (but fewer rainy days) while others are drier. Do you foresee any classification changes for cities in borderline climates? I think it will be very interesting to see what has changed and to what extent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2021, 03:20 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,215,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jread View Post
The new 30-year averages from NOAA are due to be released a week from today. From what I’ve read, most of the U.S. is hotter now, and some areas get higher rainfall (but fewer rainy days) while others are drier. Do you foresee any classification changes for cities in borderline climates? I think it will be very interesting to see what has changed and to what extent.
Much of the coastal northeast probably will become more solidly Cfa, while the upper Midwest or northern plains will be a tad bit colder than the previous averages, especially during late winter and spring, and much of the United States west of the Rockies but east of the west coast look to become even more arid than they were previously.

Old 04-27-2021, 05:03 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,601,062 times
I think Rochester, NY will just eek out Dfa (they've been Dfb), I think July there will avg 22°C exactly or just over it

Old 04-27-2021, 05:28 PM

196 posts, read 137,026 times
Quote:
The impacts of climate change are going to increase rapidly in the coming decades, but for now most areas are only warming by a degree or two, more pronounced in winter. Thus, it is areas that border on other climate zones that will see their classifications shift. I'll break down my thoughts regionally.

In the Northeast, the Cfa climate will extend further inland and north, the borderline may now run along the Connecticut coast. Cities like White Plains and New Haven may become Cfa. Some areas in coastal Rhode Island and eastward have cooler summers, they could be Cfb. This boundary would still be well to the south of Boston, though.

In the South, some high elevation areas may shift from continental to subtropical as well, but the bigger changes are in South Florida. The tropical savanna climate will extend up to Sarasota, almost to the Tampa area, on the gulf and to Port Saint Lucie on the Atlantic.

In the Midwest, the Cfa zone border will shift northward to include Saint Louis, Kansas City, Louisville, and Cincinnati. The West will see more shifts based on precipitation, with semiarid zones taking over much of the SoCal coast, including LA. Some valley areas of the PNW could also become Csb or even Csa in a few spots.

Old 04-27-2021, 06:40 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,953,701 times
I wonder how NYC's climate would look like.

Old 04-27-2021, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
I wonder how NYC's climate would look like.
More solidly Cfa most likely. I feel that central park’s January mean temperature would go up around a degree in temperature from about 32.6 in the 1981-2010 mean to maybe like around 34.0 F in the 1991-2020 climate normals.

Old 04-27-2021, 07:29 PM

Indianapolis’ January mean temperature increased from 28.1 F in the 1981-2010 normals to around 28.5 F in the preliminary 1991-2020 climate normals so Indianapolis is still obviously firmly a Dfa climate zone, But I’d imagine the Cfa zone border may have inched ever so slightly further north in the Hoosier state with the updated 1991-2020 climate normals.

Old 04-28-2021, 07:57 AM

3,933 posts, read 2,192,100 times
Quote:
Weather.gov has maps already- 5 and 10 years- air, water, temperature, precipitation- etc.
not the easiest site to navigate- but it is all there

Old 04-28-2021, 12:39 PM

524 posts, read 485,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isleofpalms85 View Post
Indianapolis’ January mean temperature increased from 28.1 F in the 1981-2010 normals to around 28.5 F in the preliminary 1991-2020 climate normals so Indianapolis is still obviously firmly a Dfa climate zone, But I’d imagine the Cfa zone border may have inched ever so slightly further north in the Hoosier state with the updated 1991-2020 climate normals.
28.1 F would already be Cfa if we use the -3 C isotherm. I wonder where the -3 C isotherm lies for 1991-2020 climate normals...

Old 04-28-2021, 01:29 PM

377 posts, read 258,700 times
I think that Fairbanks, Alaska might become a humid continental climate due to May being very mild.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather