Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2023, 10:54 PM

2,932 posts, read 1,311,179 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6ke...annel=Geodiode
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2023, 11:13 PM

Was quite surprised about this especially the Hot Desert climate

Old 04-22-2023, 11:40 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,097,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy234 View Post
Was quite surprised about this especially the Hot Desert climate
Hot Deserts can still be habitable if irrigated, which can allow them to sustain rather large population. Ex Nile Valley of Egypt (100M people in a hot desert) or Indus Valley of Pakistan (close to 200M in a desert?).

Subtropical Highland and Oceanic are very livable, probably among the most densely populated, but quite rare. The tropical rainforest is not extremely widespread, decently so, but also very impenetrable aside from the Indonesian coastline. Lots of diseases and related issues.

Perhaps the fact that Mediterranean climates are the product of coastal mountains (to a large extent) means fewer large rivers to use for irrigation compared to hot deserts?

Old 04-23-2023, 04:32 AM

1,503 posts, read 913,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
Hot Deserts can still be habitable if irrigated, which can allow them to sustain rather large population. Ex Nile Valley of Egypt (100M people in a hot desert) or Indus Valley of Pakistan (close to 200M in a desert?).

Subtropical Highland and Oceanic are very livable, probably among the most densely populated, but quite rare. The tropical rainforest is not extremely widespread, decently so, but also very impenetrable aside from the Indonesian coastline. Lots of diseases and related issues.

Perhaps the fact that Mediterranean climates are the product of coastal mountains (to a large extent) means fewer large rivers to use for irrigation compared to hot deserts?
The main limitation of tropical rainforest climates is that the heat and heavy rainfall promote intense weathering and leaching of nutrients so soils are usually very infertile. They also have usually had a long time to be leached, unlike areas that have been glaciated in the recent geological past, where glaciation has ground up the bedrock and brought new material for soil formation.

Where there are newer and more fertile soils eg volcanic ones such as in parts of Indonesia they can be extremely productive.

You can see the same infertility in some tropical monsoon and savanna regions. Eg northern Australia doesn't support much agriculture even where there is enough rainfall in the wet season as soils are so infertile.

Old 04-23-2023, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post

Perhaps. Hot desert areas make up larger areas of the earth not to mention many Mediterranean areas such as Western US and Australia weren't really populated until recent centuries. Regardless Csa and Cfb climates only make up a very small portion of the world however it still has a relatively large population. I actually thought Temperate oceanic would be more populated given the nations associated with it and it's density.

Can't say I'm all that surprised that humid subtropical Is the most populated.

Old 04-23-2023, 06:19 AM

2,826 posts, read 1,409,859 times
Quote:
Perhaps. Hot desert areas make up larger areas of the earth not to mention many Mediterranean areas such as Western US and Australia weren't really populated until recent centuries. Regardless Csa and Cfb climates only make up a very small portion of the world however it still has a relatively large population. I actually thought Temperate oceanic would be more populated given the nations associated with it and it's density.

Can't say I'm all that surprised that humid subtropical Is the most populated.
Haven't had the chance to watch the video, but it makes sense to me too. A lot of people I have spoken to in real life vacation to tropical climates in summer, but while they don't like cold winters they still like some seasonality, which Cfa climates definitely have.

And of course, this is just what the quintessential Cfa gives you. 7 months of tropical or hotter heat but 5 months of lighter seasonal variation with pleasantly mild or warm weather as well.

No wonder Dallas is the 4th most populated place in the US!

Old 04-23-2023, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can't think of username View Post
Haven't had the chance to watch the video, but it makes sense to me too. A lot of people I have spoken to in real life vacation to tropical climates in summer, but while they don't like cold winters they still like some seasonality, which Cfa climates definitely have.

And of course, this is just what the quintessential Cfa gives you. 7 months of tropical or hotter heat but 5 months of lighter seasonal variation with pleasantly mild or warm weather as well.

In the US the two main states that are notorious for great climates that are renowned world-wide is Florida and California. In fact me personally I feel San Diego has one of the best climates in the world. Never getting cold or too hot and lots of sunshine and little rain. I can certainly see why the most populated states are California, Texas and Florida. Continental climates are still pretty popular though. Do Americans who live in humid subtropical or continental climates holiday during the dry season of tropical climates like many do here in Australia?

Old 04-23-2023, 08:14 AM

2,826 posts, read 1,409,859 times
Quote:
In the US the two main states that are notorious for great climates that are renowned world-wide is Florida and California. In fact me personally I feel San Diego has one of the best climates in the world. Never getting cold or too hot and lots of sunshine and little rain. I can certainly see why the most populated states are California, Texas and Florida. Continental climates are still pretty popular though. Do Americans who live in humid subtropical or continental climates holiday during the dry season of tropical climates like many do here in Australia?
I think so. I see a lot of comments on here about how horrible it is to visit a place like Miami in the summer during the wet season, so going there is indeed mostly in the winter dry season (and what a helpful coincidence that it's also the time for anyone in a continental climate who doesn't like winter cold to get away).

Same goes for Disney tourist trap Orlando.

And I imagine it would go even moreso for a place like Archbold Biological Station if it were a tourist trap. Strongest late spring and summer season bias to rain I've seen in the state.

Last edited by Can't think of username; 04-23-2023 at 08:22 AM..

Old 04-23-2023, 09:23 AM

1,503 posts, read 913,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can't think of username View Post

World population distribution has very little to do with personal climate preferences and almost everything to do with the ability of regions to produce food, which is mainly a product of climate, soil fertility and availability of irrigation water.

Places like Egypt, parts of India and E China have been heavily populated since antiquity because they have a good combination of those factors. It wouldn't even have entered the average Egyptian or Chinese person's head to move somewhere with a more comfortable summer. Neither could they if they wanted to typically. And when people do migrate, I think climate is typically fairly low down on the list of reasons, below things like war, persecution, seeking a better quality of life or more opportunities.

Old 04-23-2023, 09:46 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,097,533 times
Quote:
Continental climates are still pretty popular though. Do Americans who live in humid subtropical or continental climates holiday during the dry season of tropical climates like many do here in Australia?
Yes, although I'd say that's coincidental to a significant degree. People go on holidays to the tropics to avoid winter, that's the main thing. Whether the tropics are dry, moderately dry, or even moderately humid wouldn't matter too much. Cancun is still relatively wet in Nov-Jan and I don't think that's too much of a deterrent. If you get one day in a week with rain, or maybe a few evening showers, that's fine. As long as the risk of tropical storms/hurricanes is relatively low.

Other popular destinations besides Florida are Puerto Vallarta, Cancun, Acapulco, Dominican Republic, Cuba (mainly for Canadians), Costa Rica, Hawaii, Aruba, the Bahamas and Jamaica (Montego Bay).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather