Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2021, 02:35 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,385,502 times

Advertisements

Vilnius 'normal' but Helsinki, Oslo and Toronto 'extreme'. Come on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2021, 02:08 AM

1,223 posts, read 723,156 times
Remember too that 'acclimatisation' is all important. I'm a 40 year resident of Darwin, yes the climate can be 'trying' at times, but it suits me just fine. Don't need to own jeans, jumpers, coats or Uggs..... shorts, singlets and bare feet 12 months of the year. Everyone has an airconditioned house, as do I, but I would turn mine on maybe for a week or 2 at the hottest time of the year just prior to Xmas, and even then only for sleeping at night. And there are way worse climates than Darwin in Northern Australia !

Old 05-18-2021, 03:45 AM

1,503 posts, read 914,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrychips666 View Post
Darwin is extreme? Looking at the climate... yeah, it's kind of hot, but not abnormal for an Aw climate. I'm sure the hundreds of millions of people living in a tropical savanna climate would find it pretty average, not very extreme at all. Cities with the same type such as Chennai or Bamako can get much hotter. Precip doesn't look too crazy either. Maybe it's the opinion of people from colder climates who came to Darwin and just weren't used to it?
Yeah definitely. Seems a very Euro/American centric point of view. Might be extreme to someone from Chicago or London, but not at all to someone from Mumbai or Lagos. Europe and North America long ceased to be the centre of the world's population and are increasingly not its economic centre either so this "world" POV is looking very dated.

Old 05-18-2021, 07:39 AM

6,797 posts, read 4,240,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaheenHassan View Post
The list is somewhat biased. The internet has more cold lovers than heat lovers. In real life they are more or less equal depending on the geographic location.

In real life I'd say the majority of folks in temperate regions prefers warm but not hot weather. You get a lot of people complaining about heat when temps get above 30C/86F (especially when humid), but even more complain about it when it's chilly. It's difficult to find folks in real life who have a bad word to say about a sunny 75 degree day.

On these weather forums online you get a lot of folks with extreme and strongly held views on weather preferences, and it makes sense..it's a self-selecting crowd. A lot of people like to make small talk about the weather, only very few want to debate it.

With regard to the OP, I find that list to be pretty weird. Chicago would be considered pretty extreme by a lot of people, certainly more so than Sydney, due to its strong differentiation between a cold winter and a pretty reliably hot summer. In general terms, I think the most 'easy living' climates are ones that are fairly balanced and stable but more warm than cool. Hence why L.A. would be deemed 'nicer' than London while London would be deemed nicer than say Minneapolis even though summers in Minneapolis are doubtlessly much warmer.

Old 05-18-2021, 08:31 AM

650 posts, read 450,295 times
I'm surprised not many people found even more holes in my listing, especially with Phoenix being considered normal while Sydney is considered extreme. Yes this is a centric view of lots of people mainly in the US, Canada, and Western and Northern Europe. Also Miami and Grand Forks being considered way milder than those other climates as well (Sydney and Toronto) and Ulaanbaatar considered milder than Calgary. Those were holes that I found.

This is basically how people that don't know a lick about weather and climate views cities. I have heard the classic (Phoenix is way milder than New York in the summer many times)

Old 05-18-2021, 06:52 PM

30,160 posts, read 11,789,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptunepenguins View Post
That is due to humidity I guess. Phoenix is rated as normal because I have heard many say "Phoenix doesn't feel as hot as New York or Wisconsin" because humidity or something. Also why Sydney is rated as tough than Phoenix since most see Australia as the hottest place in the world, so Sydney is rated as a brutal climate. Since Darwin is considered the worst place in Australia, it is rated as the toughest place in terms of heat, on a "public opinion" scale. It is way Calgary is rated as the worst climate, when it isn't really all that bad.
Naw. I have spent summers in Wisconsin and Chicago and Phoenix feels hotter at midnight than Chicago feels during the day. Sure a 85 degree day feels nicer in Phoenix than a 85 degree in Chicago. Problem is a 85 degree summer day in Chicago means likely a 108 or so in Phoenix. And 90 at night.

And regarding what people think. Whenever I am in a different state and I tell people I used to live in Phoenix everyone seems to have a story about they passed through or visited Phoenix in the summer and it was 118 degrees. Never had anyone say they went there in the summer and it was surprisingly cool.

Old 05-18-2021, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Naw. I have spent summers in Wisconsin and Chicago and Phoenix feels hotter at midnight than Chicago feels during the day. Sure a 85 degree day feels nicer in Phoenix than a 85 degree in Chicago. Problem is a 85 degree summer day in Chicago means likely a 108 or so in Phoenix. And 90 at night.

And regarding what people think. Whenever I am in a different state and I tell people I used to live in Phoenix everyone seems to have a story about they passed through or visited Phoenix in the summer and it was 118 degrees. Never had anyone say they went there in the summer and it was surprisingly cool.

and I feel some people are exaggerating how bad humid heat actually feels. I personally don't notice dew points until they reach above 72F or so. But 99+ feels pretty toasty and uncomfortable to me even when dry if I am being honest. 95F and below is decent dry. I think that upper 90s with dew points of 75 to 80 can absolutely suck though. My biggest issue is that I have never experienced extreme heat above 104F/40C as that is the hottest I have experienced, and with it being slightly humid with a 68F dew point IIRC, it felt kind of bad. So I have no real way to say how hot Phoenix can actually feel when it gets to 115F.

Also 85F with a dew point of 68F I hardly notice once I am acclimated.

Old 05-19-2021, 12:53 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,372,290 times
Most people have no f*cking idea about the climate of many of those places. For instance, if you ask a random person how they imagine the climate of the capital of Ethiopia is, the odds are that they’ll say it’s probably very hot.

Whatever, now I’ll tour the streets of Buenos Aires asking random people what they think about the climate of Grand Forks.

Old 05-19-2021, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhc1985 View Post
Most people have no f*cking idea about the climate of many of those places. For instance, if you ask a random person how they imagine the climate of the capital of Ethiopia is, the odds are that they’ll say it’s probably very hot.

Whatever, now I’ll tour the streets of Buenos Aires asking random people what they think about the climate of Grand Forks.
Similar with Mexico City. That place is often described as like Phoenix level heat or worse than a place like Houston, but it is quite mild.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather