Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which climate is better?
Medford 13 61.90%
Denver 8 38.10%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2021, 08:28 PM

135 posts, read 134,583 times

Advertisements

Which city has the better climate?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medford,_Oregon#Climate

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denver#Climate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2021, 10:29 PM

366 posts, read 242,637 times
Medford for being warmer.

Old 05-17-2021, 09:45 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,211,978 times
Medford for being able to grow palm trees.

Old 05-17-2021, 11:18 AM

679 posts, read 358,255 times
Denver, of course.
It deserves B- grade (summer highs are too hot, summers are too sunny), because of better winters (sunnier, drier and colder than Medford).
Medford deserves D+ grade (all drawbacks of Denver's climate, plus wrong precipitation pattern).

Old 05-17-2021, 05:48 PM

106 posts, read 97,165 times
Both are awful. Summers look extremely hot. Medford has drier and possibly more tolerable summers. Also it has nicer winters.

Old 05-19-2021, 01:34 PM

5,349 posts, read 5,123,798 times
Medford by a mile.

1. No hail
2. Not as windy, no potential for tornadoes
3. More precipitation and more precipitation days

The biggest difference is things grow in Medford due to the lack of random freezing from Sept-May. They have much nicer trees and an entire agriculture scene like vineyards that Denver can't have. Medford's an island of dry in a sea of green hillsides above vs a island of green (from water over the mountain range) in a sea of brown. The street scene of front range cities is littered with half dead trees from hail, random freezes, droughts, etc...

Denver does not have that nice of a climate, just nice topography next door; there's a reason there were hardly any native americans in CO and the wagons headed west didn't stop there first.

Old 05-20-2021, 12:19 AM

465 posts, read 404,898 times
I'd pick Denver from a weather nerd perspective, plenty of extreme events with huge temperature drops from day to day, severe thunderstorms, and big spring snowstorms. But in terms of where I'd actually want to live, I'd pick Medford. Way easier to garden there, and it's not quite as dry so the landscape is much greener and treeful-er. And it does still snow there once in a while!

Old 05-20-2021, 05:30 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times
Medford easily, but both are less than ideal for me

Old 05-20-2021, 07:57 AM

5,349 posts, read 5,123,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenochitlan View Post
I'd pick Denver from a weather nerd perspective, plenty of extreme events with huge temperature drops from day to day, severe thunderstorms, and big spring snowstorms. But in terms of where I'd actually want to live, I'd pick Medford. Way easier to garden there, and it's not quite as dry so the landscape is much greener and treeful-er. And it does still snow there once in a while!
Those freak events are absolutely murderous on plants and your cars smooth exterior. It's not just the dry or the cold that kills plants in CO, it's the hot winter periods then cold spring snaps. Better seen from the Weather Channel than observing the effects the day after . For instance, the front range just didn't have fall the last 2 years, leaves just froze right off.

Old 05-20-2021, 12:36 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,358,171 times
I've visited both places more than a couple of times. Medford would be my first choice by a long shot. I like the reasonable amount of humidity in the air, compared to Denver. Denver has that bone-dry, desert-like lack of humidity most of the time, the kind that makes skin dry out. The great plains wind makes that dryness feel even worse.

The summer heat in Medford is not so bad, it doesn't last all day. Even on those hot days when temps might be around 100F/38C in the mid-afternoon, it usually cools down enough after sunset that you can open the windows and feel a nice breeze. The morning temps can often get down to 60F or even cooler! This means you don't need to run home AC all day in the summer, just on those real hot afternoons.

One downside of Medford not shown in any temperature chart are the occasional summer air quality problems. Some years, especially recently, wildfires in the western US have produced smoke and ash clouds that have put huge areas into air quality alerts. Medford is in a river valley that can trap a lot of wildfire smoke during the fire season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather