Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2021, 05:22 AM

83,516 posts, read 75,307,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
In the meantime, news from the South Pole:

https://twitter.com/pinturicchio_60/...542809604?s=19
Can someone interpret that for me? lol I know you're limited with characters on twitter but sometimes we need a better explaination.
Longest string of temps staying under -50C?
Does "Maximum" mean coldest high?
"Was lower -50C" mean the temp stayed colder?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2021, 08:03 AM

5,734 posts, read 3,513,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Can someone interpret that for me? lol I know you're limited with characters on twitter but sometimes we need a better explaination.
Longest string of temps staying under -50C?
Does "Maximum" mean coldest high?
"Was lower -50C" mean the temp stayed colder?
My interpretation is that it's been below -50°C continuously since June 23 (31 consecutive days as of the time of the tweet). The longest such streak is 78 days in 2012 so still a long way to go for the record.

Old 07-29-2021, 08:17 AM

5,734 posts, read 3,513,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlaver View Post
While the opposite here, cold blast, and a max of 11C. Tomorrow could be even lower (it will be cloudy, whilst it was mostly sunny today).
It seems like is rare to see both areas to be under a polar mass at the same time, when one is cold the other is warm.
Something like this I guess.

Source: https://twitter.com/GregDeeWeather/s...936637441?s=20

Old 07-29-2021, 04:12 PM

827 posts, read 865,867 times
Snow covered the grounds of a lot of brazilian cities last night, including mine! It's a rare event. Very few brazilian cities have snow every year, usually it is something restricted to some small towns with very high elevation. In others cities where snow is possible it is an event that happens once in a decade, or in two or three decades, or even more! Some densely populated areas had a snowfall, and probably something between 2 to 3 million brazilians saw snow in their cities.

Old 07-29-2021, 06:21 PM

2,948 posts, read 2,917,363 times
Yep, this was the biggest snow event in southern Brazil since 2013. And tomorrow morning could bring some 'spicy' mins around there too. It also snowed (but less) in the hills of Buenos Aires province and in Uruguay's highlands aswell.
With all this antarctic cold bypassing to the north of the continent, it's no wonder that the ski resorts in northern Patagonia and the central range are ongoing an awful season and the hidroelectric dams in the area gonna be under dramatic low levels for the upcoming summer...

Old 07-29-2021, 06:38 PM

827 posts, read 865,867 times
Quote:
Yep, this was the biggest snow event in southern Brazil since 2013. And tomorrow morning could bring some 'spicy' mins around there too. It also snowed (but less) in the hills of Buenos Aires province and in Uruguay's highlands aswell.
With all this antarctic cold bypassing to the north of the continent, it's no wonder that the ski resorts in northern Patagonia and the central range are ongoing an awful season and the hidroelectric dams in the area gonna be under dramatic low levels for the upcoming summer...
That's right. It feels like a portal was open between Patagonia and southern Brazil for a few moments, so the typical patagonian weather is happening here, haha.

This is the forecast for the lows in the state of Santa Catarina tomorrow. This state is mostly visited by tourists during the summer season, it's well known for the warm tropical beaches. The island of Florianopolis can have some frost tomorrow.

Old 07-29-2021, 06:46 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,956,707 times
Quote:
While the opposite here, cold blast, and a max of 11C. Tomorrow could be even lower (it will be cloudy, whilst it was mostly sunny today).
It seems like is rare to see both areas to be under a polar mass at the same time, when one is cold the other is warm.
I've noticed this too. An interesting phenomenon.

Is there a reason to this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kooyaanisquatsi View Post
Let me try again.

Nightmarish week coming up with terrible icy westerlies blowing :-http://www.bom.gov.au/nsw/forecasts/sydney.shtml - yucky weather indeed!!!
At least it's sunny, man. Just sit in the sun. The sun is still relatively strong here. Not sure why you find icy westerlies so unpleasant. Plus, it isn't THAT windy.

Oh and welcome back.

Old 07-29-2021, 08:43 PM

4 posts, read 1,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
I've noticed this too. An interesting phenomenon.

Is there a reason to this?

At least it's sunny, man. Just sit in the sun. The sun is still relatively strong here. Not sure why you find icy westerlies so unpleasant. Plus, it isn't THAT windy.

Oh and welcome back.
It's hard to feel the sun when icy westerlies are blowing.

Old 07-30-2021, 03:47 AM

11,655 posts, read 12,956,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kooyaanisquatsi View Post
It's hard to feel the sun when icy westerlies are blowing.
Think of it this way: These icy winds get "Foehned" over the mountains. If it weren't for the Great Dividing Range, it will be colder, cloudy and rather rainy here in Sydney. Places on the windward side like Orange and the Snowy Mountains cop it much worse than us.

P.S. Today wasn't even windy btw. Not sure about your suburb though?

Old 08-01-2021, 09:05 PM

83,516 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Snow in Brazil again or same one? New Story so I assume new snow event

https://www.accuweather.com/en/winte...-winter/992141
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather