Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2021, 04:02 AM

12 posts, read 24,916 times

Advertisements

Firstly, I apologize to the mods for the duplicate posts I thought that they didn't go through.

So I'm looking to leave NJ in search of somewhere with a more mild, balanced consistent climate. I was looking through the Koppen climate types and I think Csb would suit me best. However, it seems that many Csb areas like Seattle and Portland have very little sunlight. Too much sunlight induces mania for me, but too little makes me very down so I'm looking for a place balanced both in temperature and in sunlight year-round. Appreciate all responses

Last edited by DeFyYing; 06-11-2021 at 04:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2021, 01:31 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,736,126 times
What about Eugene, OR? Pretty similar sun hours to NYC/NJ area(~2500 hrs). Also, a pretty cool little city IMO.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugene,_Oregon#Climate

If you want more sun just keep going south down the coast. Csb climates all down the west coast.

Last edited by fluffydelusions; 06-11-2021 at 01:40 PM..

Old 06-12-2021, 08:41 AM

189 posts, read 117,068 times
This is basically San Francisco is it not?...

Old 06-12-2021, 11:57 AM

735 posts, read 654,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by distracted85 View Post
Pretty much. If you want to avoid the insane prices of SF, there’s towns all along the coast to the north (Eureka, Crescent City, Brookings, etc.) just keep in mind these areas are pretty remote.

Old 06-12-2021, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffydelusions View Post
What about Eugene, OR? Pretty similar sun hours to NYC/NJ area(~2500 hrs). Also, a pretty cool little city IMO.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugene,_Oregon#Climate

If you want more sun just keep going south down the coast. Csb climates all down the west coast.

Thanks! That looks like an interesting city, would you happen to know how much sun they get? Good to know that I can go further south if need be though

Quote:
Originally Posted by distracted85 View Post

I looked up some articles and yeah it seems like San Francisco would be perfect! Well aside from the cost lol but climate-wise it seems great. I guess I'm just still undecided on what the "ideal" Koppen climate type is for me. On one hand, it seems that the Mediterranean Csa and Csb climates have warmer winter temperatures compared to the humid subtropical Cfa and oceaning Cfb climate but I also prefer humidity for skin health (vain, I know). I know I have to sacrifice somewhere, I just don't know what.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeppelin171 View Post
Pretty much. If you want to avoid the insane prices of SF, there’s towns all along the coast to the north (Eureka, Crescent City, Brookings, etc.) just keep in mind these areas are pretty remote.

Thanks, I'll look into these

Old 06-12-2021, 09:41 PM

55 posts, read 37,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeFyYing View Post
Thanks! That looks like an interesting city, would you happen to know how much sun they get? Good to know that I can go further south if need be though

I looked up some articles and yeah it seems like San Francisco would be perfect! Well aside from the cost lol but climate-wise it seems great. I guess I'm just still undecided on what the "ideal" Koppen climate type is for me. On one hand, it seems that the Mediterranean Csa and Csb climates have warmer winter temperatures compared to the humid subtropical Cfa and oceaning Cfb climate but I also prefer humidity for skin health (vain, I know). I know I have to sacrifice somewhere, I just don't know what.

Thanks, I'll look into these

Also checkout Morro Bay, CA. It’s very mild year round.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morro_...fornia#Climate

Old 06-13-2021, 08:52 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,736,126 times
Quote:
Thanks! That looks like an interesting city, would you happen to know how much sun they get?
It's on the wiki page I linked. It's similar to NYC and NJ with a bit over 2500hrs

Old 06-16-2021, 11:48 AM

Just out of curiosity, what international options are there? From the research I have done, it seems parts of Australia (Perth, Adelaide) as well as parts of Portugal and Spain are also Csb. Any Csb islands?

Old 06-16-2021, 02:10 PM

3,600 posts, read 2,690,881 times
Also other places, for instance Chile, parts of Italy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concep..._Chile#Climate
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santiago#Climate

Csb islands: Part of the Azores island group.

Last edited by Jakobsli; 06-16-2021 at 02:36 PM..

Old 06-16-2021, 03:29 PM

1,503 posts, read 912,723 times
Quote:
Just out of curiosity, what international options are there? From the research I have done, it seems parts of Australia (Perth, Adelaide) as well as parts of Portugal and Spain are also Csb. Any Csb islands?
The south western corner of South Africa has a Csb climate that is quite close to a Csa climate, with Csa climates a bit inland. I think pretty much any "true" Cs* climate is going to to have quite a lot more sunshine in the summer than winter because a) winter is markedly cloudier and hence rainier than summer and b) they are at high enough latitudes for winter days to be a fair bit shorter.

By "true" Cs* climates, I'm excluding high altitude tropical locations that meet Koppen's formula but I don't think qualify in spirit.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather