U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Rate the climate of Melonside, Mokou
A 1 16.67%
B 3 50.00%
C 1 16.67%
D 1 16.67%
F 0 0%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2021, 09:08 PM

79 posts, read 41,761 times

Advertisements

Melonside is a fast growing city on the eastern side of the island of Mokou, an island well noted for its sparseness despite the extremely temperate climate. The technical name of this place is Melonside-Vipoville, as it has two main towns, Melonside and Vipoville, separated by a river. It has been well documented in the history of Vipo County that there are in fact defined boundaries for these communities as well as integration of the two, seems to be pretty odd to the average person . Vipoville was founded by French people and Melonside by Anglo-Saxons. Later on, Ulster-Irish immigrants moved into specifically Melonside and gained prestige by building loads of skyscrapers throughout the metro area and industrial facilities. The metro area is adjacent to the Geci Plateau, obviously a cold area, and the Tamanuk Mountains. The Tamanuk Mountains not only end at Melonside in the east, but near NeuFrisia in the west, but the exact location is out in the rural areas more so.

NeuFrisia has a similar climate to Sweden, and Melonside has a tad bit influence of Korean/Japanese influence in the climate, especially noted for the city of Niigata. In Melonside, it snows alot in the winter, but also, a summer monsoon. Spring is the driest season, which is also the sunniest. Melonside gets about 2,800 hours of sun and 53 inches of rain. There is a well know phrase amongst the locals: "l'eau ira toujours quelque part", which means "the water will always go somewhere. Nobody complains about the rain because otherwise, summers would be much hotter, despite the higher humidity. They call the rainstorms "le petit froid" meaning "the little cold", where temperatures go from 82 F to 75 F, June, July, and August. First frost is November 3rd and last frost is March 5th. It's interesting to see that frost occurs so little but so much snow! It DOES remind me of that region in Japan after all! Pretty cool stuff! Idk if I should tell more about NeuFrisia, but that might come later in the series. For now, I just want to say stuff about what is on the plate for tonight, Melonside.

It is a very economically viable city, and as said earlier, nestled into a valley but not fully, as the south side opens up, so you have essentially, a boulder in the eastern part to block off otherwise flat land. Melonside's hardiness zone seems to be zone 8a, but if anyone wants to criticize of how accurate the climate data is for such geography, let me know Actually, the area DOES has some palm trees, the windmill palm to be exact! It is well noted, the namesake crop, the watermelon, is extensively grow so it ships off to cold NeuFrisia because the locals LOVE watermelon but they just grow carrots and potatoes. Potatoes are actually extensively grown in Melonside too, but not as much. Wheat kinda does good, but the monsoon season makes the soil a bit soggy , since wheat loves dry weather. Despite that, as long as people can gamble around early November, maybe potatoes CAN be grown for longer??? who knows???

Link for the climate image:
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2021, 09:09 PM

https://imgur.com/a/cOGfkw7

Old 06-19-2021, 09:55 PM

337 posts, read 127,926 times
I rate it as C+. Good rainfall with good summer, late spring and early autumn temperatures but winters are too cold.

Old 06-19-2021, 10:09 PM

15 posts, read 7,772 times
B- for me. Summer's are a little wet and muggy for my taste, but overall a nice, mild 4 season climate, so that's a plus.

Also Melonside would likely be 9a, not 8a, since record low is not the same as avg annual minimum.

Old 06-19-2021, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teegurr View Post
B- for me. Summer's are a little wet and muggy for my taste, but overall a nice, mild 4 season climate, so that's a plus.

Also Melonside would likely be 9a, not 8a, since record low is not the same as avg annual minimum.
I don't think I did mean minimum, right? I think it was record low if I recall, so I'm not so sure about that. Also, I knew people were going to say something about the summer rain, as usual, but it's totally okay to have different opinions! But I really don't mind some rain though. Technically speaking, would it make sense to have a prairie area that is that rainy or no? Melonside-Vipoville metro area used to be a plains biome with some sparse forest in the northern section by a tiny lake; Today, there is a canal to the bigger lake, which locals call "the ocean", similar to the Great Lakes region. Idk, just like me some rain instead of heat, y'know what I mean? I guess it is what it is then. Would you really think for an area with a gigantic plateau to the west, a bouldery mountain to the east, and to the north, the Tamanuk Mountains would be zone 9a? Maybe, but downtown isn't necessairly near the lake that the dividing river flows to, though. However, it's like an elevation difference of about 300 ft above sea level according to the newest calculations. Maybe there would be 1/3 of a degree difference between sea level and Melonside Downtown temperatures .

However, I will have to say thank you for the support for me as I am a new member on here and I am trying to figure out this place and trying to get my climate charts to professional levels in the future. More city data to come in the future as a series from the island of Mokou. NeuFrisia, Tamanuk City, Climprox, Deltana, Lancaster, Pinedale, and Gaumley to name most of the places. I'm not sure if I should break them down here, but they are mostly temperate areas that have little trees but adequate rainfall, but Deltana used to have alot of woods before it became a big green plains area and alot of forestry. It really isn't as much relevant yet, despite being a coastal city, since people prefer MV metro area. I will now use MV to refer to the Melonside-Vipoville metro area in future cases, maybe to report on some microclimates, maybe for Geci Plateau??? but that's a story for another time.

Don't you think microclimates can be relevant enough to post, maybe Vipo Beach or the Geci Plateau area, since MV area has the Geci Plateau under legal control as a part of the municipality, and there is a small valley west of that, that has a fishermen population, locked into a deep valley, may actually be like Oymyakon or something like that but yea. I'm pretty sure Vipo Beach may have even the same since it really doesn't change too much from Melonside downtown, and it's technically inland, because the actual ocean is maybe 100 miles away. It still has a very deep river to get there, so even cruise ships can dock by Vipo Beach to go to Deltana and such

Old 06-20-2021, 09:56 AM

79 posts, read 40,854 times
It's fine... Summer high temps are similar to summer temps where I live. It's a bit too continental for me. I'd say it's a B. Precipitation is nice though. I love the wet summers!

Old 06-20-2021, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrychips666 View Post
It's fine... Summer high temps are similar to summer temps where I live. It's a bit too continental for me. I'd say it's a B. Precipitation is nice though. I love the wet summers!
Thanks for the comment but tbh it IS alot more maritime than most places, excluding say the coast. It's basically Korea/Japan or NYC in reality, but to each his own. I like a good rainy summer as well, so it's a bit towards my own preferences, but not exactly. Maybe the summer temperatures could be increased so it feels like there's a summer or such, but I think by putting those lower numbers, then it looks like the effects of the summer monsoon are very prevalent. Doesn't NYC get 20's in the winter for the lows???

I think this link may help a bit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_City#Climate

This really shows it IS a maritime city, but you can see it's obviously drier and maybe I do need to change first/last frost if it's going to be similar to NYC Here's another useful link for that as well:
https://www.almanac.com/gardening/fr.../zipcode/10001
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather