Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2023, 08:29 PM

2,815 posts, read 1,405,653 times

Advertisements

A long while ago before I knew to look up the weather data, I thought Los Angeles was even warmer than South Florida. This is a climate battle specifically designed to poke fun and have a little laugh at how wrong that is.
Here we have a warm summer/borderline hot summer Mediterranean climate, and a tropical savanna climate:

For the specific premise of inspiration, how much colder is Los Angeles (LAX) than Key West?

-Its warmest month and Key West's coldest month are literally only 0.1C apart.
-Its annual average high is the same as Key West's average in the coldest month.
-Its average low in the coldest month is 9.1C colder than Key West's average coldest low and 0.6C colder than Key West's normal minimum temperature for the whole winter.
-Its normal minimum temperature for the whole winter is 0.9C colder than Key West's all time record low.
-It is 8.5C colder over the course of the year.

As for which one I'd take, it's difficult. I like Los Angeles much more temperature and safety from hurricane wise, but the drought and ocean gloom are 2 factors that I would lean towards Key West being better for.

One other thought: too bad L.A.-Mex isn't commenting anymore. I would have loved to see what they had to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2023, 05:40 AM

404 posts, read 433,658 times
Thing is Los Angeles is full of microclimates. The airport will be very different from the San Fernando Valley or even Downtown. Lots of fog, ocean gloom as you said. Like on a summer morning, the airport could be in the 60s while the valleys are sweltering in the 90s. Dunno how Key West compares with that. Is there a June gloom equivalent there?

Old 03-04-2023, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Midwest Noobie View Post
Thing is Los Angeles is full of microclimates. The airport will be very different from the San Fernando Valley or even Downtown. Lots of fog, ocean gloom as you said. Like on a summer morning, the airport could be in the 60s while the valleys are sweltering in the 90s. Dunno how Key West compares with that. Is there a June gloom equivalent there?
I'm aware of the microclimates (ranging from Santa Monica to the San Fernando Valley). But for this thread, I only wanted to include LAX because I felt the similarity of its warmest month to Key West's coldest month would make the fun-poking all the more amusing.

Old 03-04-2023, 08:56 AM

5,722 posts, read 3,504,425 times
This thread reads like an attempt to compensate for the fact that Southern California is warmer than South Carolina.

Old 03-04-2023, 09:01 AM

14,955 posts, read 9,790,824 times
The climate is so different it's like comparing apples and Conch.

Old 03-04-2023, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
This thread reads like an attempt to compensate for the fact that Southern California is warmer than South Carolina.
You must be reading it backwards, upside down, and with coffee spill stains on the computer screen. Lol.

In all seriousness this thread has absolutely NOTHING to do with that. I happened upon this old thread (https://www.city-data.com/forum/weat...ariations.html) and it reminded me that I used to believe what I did, which as I said I find hilarious enough to poke fun at.

And with respect to Los Angeles-like climates it's not, neither latitude for latitude nor with absolute annual average regardless of latitude. Given similar latitude and elevation cities in South Carolina it would be around the same or even slightly colder!

If I would need compensation for anything it would be South Carolina suddenly getting Southern California weather in the cool season.
NOWHERE with a Los Angeles-like climate has anywhere near the weather monitoring fun for frosts and such that Columbia, Charleston, etc, do, and as those are some of the major places on my list (major enough to make contests with others), all the monitoring fun they have would be taken out if they were as mild in winter as Southern California! Not something I would want as any kind of 'compensation'.

Last edited by Can't think of username; 03-04-2023 at 09:45 AM..

Old 03-04-2023, 10:18 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
The climate is so different it's like comparing apples and Conch.
That's what I say. I lived in KW for years. I finally learned NOT to go some place else for 2 months
out of the summer....the humidity and mosquitos...oh my!
I lived thru it, tho.
LA can not be that bad in the summer.

Old 03-04-2023, 10:21 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
SC - where the Penny Saver paper has pig cookers for sale...SO humid you could die.

Old 03-04-2023, 12:03 PM

537 posts, read 443,275 times
Many people think San Diego has the best weather in the lower 48 states.

But give me The Keys any day and the lack of state income taxes.

It's just a matter of time until California self destructs and tries to get the U.S. Government to bail them out of their past sins of spending money and promising pensions they cannot afford.

Old 03-04-2023, 02:33 PM

5,722 posts, read 3,504,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can't think of username View Post

And with respect to Los Angeles-like climates it's not, neither latitude for latitude nor with absolute annual average regardless of latitude. Given similar latitude and elevation cities in South Carolina it would be around the same or even slightly colder!

That's some pretty impressive goal post shifting considering I said South Carolina vs Southern California.

Besides, even looking only at Los Angeles climates it's not even true. Check out the mean annual temperatures for "Los Angeles-like" climates:

LA Coastal
Oxnard 16.3 °C
Santa Monica 16.2
LAX 17.6

LA County
LA Downtown 18.8 °C
Pasadena 18.9
San Gabriel 18.9
Long Beach 18.2

San Fernando Valley
Woodland Hills 19.1 °C
Burbank 18.4

Orange County
Santa Ana 18.9 °C
Anaheim 19.8

Inland Empire
Ontario 19.3 °C
San Bernardino 19.2
Riverside 19.1

South Carolina
Columbia 17.9 °C
Florence 17.9
Spartanburg 16.2
Greenville 16.3
Greenwood 16.2
Aiken 17.7
Myrtle Beach 16.9
Charleston 19.2

Not sure how you look at those numbers and conclude South Carolina is warmer than LA; the best South Carolina could escape with is a tie.

And that's just for LA. Remember my original statement was for the entirety of Southern California which includes large areas with mean annual temperatures of 23-24°C. Nothing in South Carolina comes close to that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather