Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2023, 09:19 AM

831 posts, read 869,773 times

Advertisements

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chenzhou

Latitude: 25⁰N
Elevation: ~200m

January daily mean: 6.4⁰C / 43⁰F
Average snowy days: 6.3 !!!

That's unbelievable for me, a south american. This latitude is so near the tropics, where winters are mostly warm on average and snow is completely impossible. Other places in similar coordinates around the globe barely have a winter at all.

North american cities have better historical record lows but their winters are not as consistently cool/cold on average and don't have as much snowy days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2023, 02:06 PM

5,914 posts, read 6,138,248 times
Yeah, it is. The record lows seem to be fairly cold too, a few degrees colder than Miami or Monterrey's which are at a similar latitude and still in the northern hemisphere.

Old 09-15-2023, 03:13 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,203,092 times
This has to be one of the best climates on the planet located this far south. Amazing that it still has snow and chilly winters that close to the tropics. No dry season, either!

Old 09-15-2023, 03:24 PM

831 posts, read 869,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
Yeah, it is. The record lows seem to be fairly cold too, a few degrees colder than Miami or Monterrey's which are at a similar latitude and still in the northern hemisphere.
I was thinking in Brownsville, Texas with a record low of -11⁰C. But the January daily mean is 17.2⁰C, more than 10⁰C warmer than Chenzhou. Winters are much more consistently cold in Chenzhou.

Chenzhou has winter averages similar to places well above 30⁰ latitude in North America and above 35-40⁰ in other parts of the world.

Really incredible.

Old 09-15-2023, 07:45 PM

5,914 posts, read 6,138,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa1992 View Post
This has to be one of the best climates on the planet located this far south. Amazing that it still has snow and chilly winters that close to the tropics. No dry season, either!
Summers are armpit weather, and winters are incredibly gloomy with only 16-17% possible sunshine, even fall and spring when temperatures are at their most pleasant, are still quite gloomy... I think somewhere like Bandung, Belo Horizonte or Kampala is much nicer. Even somewhere hotter like Kinshasa is preferable in my books.

If you like a cooler subtropical climate with snow, you might like Shimla, India. Or if snow is now essential, then Ziro, India.

Old 09-15-2023, 10:39 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,203,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
Summers are armpit weather, and winters are incredibly gloomy with only 16-17% possible sunshine, even fall and spring when temperatures are at their most pleasant, are still quite gloomy... I think somewhere like Bandung, Belo Horizonte or Kampala is much nicer. Even somewhere hotter like Kinshasa is preferable in my books.

If you like a cooler subtropical climate with snow, you might like Shimla, India. Or if snow is now essential, then Ziro, India.
Shimla's at 31 N, this is 25 N. And I'm not a big fan of bright sun. And Chenzhou's summers are only really bad for about 3 months of the year (and it did lose significant points over this), most of the year is pretty comfortable. Granted, Chenzhou's not a great climate; in fact, it's not even very good. But for the latitude, I can't see anything near sea level beating it. I'd take it over literally any climate that's never seen snow or a freeze. My climatic preferences can't stand climates where the weather is the same year round.

Chenzhou: 67.7% / D+.

Old 09-16-2023, 09:49 AM

271 posts, read 296,717 times
Very cold for the latitude. Looks a lot like Birmingham, Alabama, which is 8 degrees of latitude further north.

Old 10-11-2023, 02:41 PM

860 posts, read 563,855 times
Not just snow. Chenzhou also has freezing rain quite often.
In 2008, there was a severe winter storm and Chenzhou had been out of power and water for two weeks.

https://www.deseret.com/2008/2/6/200...-chenzhou-city
Quote:
Cold, exhausted residents stood in long lines for water and gasoline. One woman did laundry on the sidewalk using a plastic basin and water from a fire hydrant, the sleeves of her bulky coat rolled up to the elbows. Others washed vegetables in front of shuttered storefronts.

"It is extremely cold and inconvenient. I haven't had a shower for about 10 days," said a Chenzhou travel agent who gave only her surname, Hong.

Prices of food, candles and charcoal briquettes used for heating and cooking have shot up — quadrupling in some cases — due to shortages, residents said.

Temperatures in Chenzhou hovered around 34 degrees, and were expected to dip below freezing Thursday.

Old 10-11-2023, 03:53 PM

7,741 posts, read 6,493,287 times
Wow! Same latitude as Miami, even

Old 10-11-2023, 07:23 PM

41 posts, read 15,115 times
One of the reasons why Asia has the best Subtropical climates, you can experience all 4 seasons without having to go much further north, the perks are obviously the absolutely unlivable climates over 50°N
Kamchatka is Subartic at the latitude of Germany.
I'll give it a B+
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather