Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2023, 06:42 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,465,877 times

Advertisements

We got some good rain today which has made the grass super green (that and the hot weather we had just before) and I notice that our greenest period is usually between mid-April and early-May. It does vary, though. Last year, looking at photos on my weather blog, late May was the greenest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2023, 07:07 PM

5,898 posts, read 6,104,862 times
I think May is often greener than April here. May is usually still pretty wet (typically a bit wetter than April), and mild. Although the grass has gotten a lot greener this week, it's still not at its peak, some areas are still recovering from winter. It often bounces back quite well in the fall too, like September 20 to October 20 or so, it would typically be quite nice.

I'd say May > October > June > September > April > November > August > July > December > March > January > February

Of course it depends a lot on the year. 2022 was a dry summer so the grass was fairly parched, especially in sunny spots, but many other years it can be quite green through all of summer. I think this winter (Jan-Feb) was greener than much of the summer thanks to the mild winter weather and summer drought. Although the dry conditions began in June this year, the grass mostly just slowed growth that month, it was only in July that it really started to turn yellow from what I remember.

Old 04-15-2023, 08:09 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,681,771 times
Late winter through to mid spring here.

Only exception is where summer grasses are used.

Old 04-15-2023, 08:38 PM

5,738 posts, read 3,516,037 times
It's green here from October to May. Starts to turn brown in June then it's crispy fried brown in July and August unless it's irrigated. Then in September it will start to turn green again after the first good autumn rain.

Old 04-17-2023, 02:38 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,465,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
It's green here from October to May. Starts to turn brown in June then it's crispy fried brown in July and August unless it's irrigated. Then in September it will start to turn green again after the first good autumn rain.
Climates with yellow/brown grass in summer are fascinating to me.

Old 04-18-2023, 05:13 AM

419 posts, read 221,790 times
I'd say around February-March and also October-December in Melbs, Autralia. Those months are sunny and quite warm (except for October)

Old 04-18-2023, 12:39 PM

1,503 posts, read 914,682 times
Probably mid spring to early summer. Grass can be green here in SW England at any time of year. However in winter unless it's cut or grazed it often has brown, dead growth from the previous year on top. Later in the summer it can also brown.

Old 04-18-2023, 05:28 PM

1,224 posts, read 723,601 times
January-March. peak wet season months.

Old 04-18-2023, 05:48 PM

1,224 posts, read 723,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincho-toot View Post
Pics of a mates place at St Andews, 40klm north east of Melbourne in February 2019

Same place in October

Old 04-18-2023, 06:41 PM

14,316 posts, read 11,708,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincho-toot View Post
I'm in that summer-dry climate too. Our green period in SoCal starts roughly around January. How long it lasts depends on when the rain started and how much there was. Typically, by mid-May it's been dry again long enough that that grass is beginning to dry out.

This year, we had so much rain that unless we have some unseasonably scorching heat in the next month, I think it will stay green longer. We're at peak green right about now, and it's beautiful.

It always makes me sad that since vacation season typically runs about July-September, most tourists never see green grass in SoCal and assume it's always dry and brown (although that's pretty illogical, if you consider that the grass had to grow sometime!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather