Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2024, 08:26 AM

2,828 posts, read 1,409,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullochResident View Post
Results!

KDNL got down to 21 F. Still below freezing even at 10 AM.
KTBR got down to 23 F. Still below freezing at 10 AM.
KSAV got down to 27 F. Just rose above freezing at 10 AM.
KCHS only got down to 31 F. Not surpring since they were the farthest east of the bunch. They have a colder forecast tonight.

Now for the special spots:

Tybee Island got down to 28.2 F, busting their previous seasonal low of 35 F and finally got their first freeze.
KGNV managed to freeze FINALLY, but just barely, getting down to 32 F just before 8 AM this morning!
I saw your first comment made after I went to bed! Lol @Galveston and PalmTalk, it's unfortunate for my weather monitoring too but the thought of zone pushers going nuts is funny.
As you say Augusta and Statesboro Airports getting colder sooner is no surprise given their being more west puts them right in the cold front's path. Charleston Airport deffo got off easy due to being east.

Indeed Gainesville Airport did finally get to 0C! Although it looks like they may have underperformed their forecast of -1C, I am not sure if they simply reached 0C or fell below it. Now we have a new frost-free season record length of 353 days, a week longer than 2021.
And I just realized this today, but January 17 is literally the perfect first frost date for this season. Being 1 day off from the all-time record, it is the best to follow the January 28 last frost that was literally also 1 day off the all-time record.

For comparison Jacksonville Airport got to at least -1C. So it looks like Gainesville Airport is 48 days ahead of them and 4 frosts behind them. Only place left for Jacksonville may be the Naval Air Station, IDK if they got 1C or 0C.
Even Tallahassee Challenger Learning Center was outlasted by Gainesville Airport.

Not just Zone 9B Tybee Island but also St Simons Island got to -2C today. That is a first frost 49 days ahead of the cold hole Savannah airport.
And it's likely the non airport stations we can't check (Ocracoke, downtown Charleston, Sullivan's Island, Sapelo Island) got to 0C too. For Sapelo Island that would be its longest ever frost free season lasting 365 days from the January 16 last frost in 2023!

For more places, Tallahassee Challenger Learning Center got just below 0C yesterday evening given that this was more advective. They ended up getting to -4C, coldest January temperature since 2018 and 2C below the usual seasonal minimum since 2014 (https://www.wunderground.com/dashboa...24-01-17/daily).

Ditto -4C for Downtown Valdosta except it waited until this morning so outlasted the Challenger Learning Center for the first time just like Gainesville (https://www.wunderground.com/dashboa...24-01-17/daily). Looks like both of them are 47-48 days ahead of the cold hole Tallahassee/Valdosta Airports which got those November 29 first frosts - January 16-17, of course, is the kind of performance I strive for.

Destin Airport got to -4C, which is close to the usual -3C seasonal low. Pensacola Airport and Mobile Downtown Airport both got to at least -7C, which are 2-3C below their usual minimums.
This reminds me of January and March 2015, which brought January/March minimum temperatures below the normal for those further west places while places further east got off very easy. Strong gradient!

Overall these hard frosts are not too badly timed, they are very close in timeframe to my nostalgic memories from January 18 2018.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2024, 08:39 AM

2,508 posts, read 1,847,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can't think of username View Post
I saw your first comment made after I went to bed! Lol @Galveston and PalmTalk, it's unfortunate for my weather monitoring too but the thought of zone pushers going nuts is funny.
https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/topic/82497-texas-2024/

Enjoy the drama.

Old 01-17-2024, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Thanks, it's time to get my popcorn out.

Old 01-17-2024, 09:04 AM

970 posts, read 321,280 times
Still pretty cold out there this morning:

Attached Thumbnails
Winter 2023-24 (Northern Hemisphere)-cttm.jpg  

Old 01-17-2024, 09:10 AM

970 posts, read 321,280 times
The new 6 to 10 is out...it looks like much of the USA mainland will see above normal temps (if this is correct?):

and precip:

Attached Thumbnails
Winter 2023-24 (Northern Hemisphere)-61017.jpg  

Old 01-17-2024, 09:45 AM

3,072 posts, read 1,300,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonusa3 View Post
The new 6 to 10 is out...it looks like much of the USA mainland will see above normal temps (if this is correct?):

and precip:

It is...its appeared for awhile 1/22-1/28 would be warm...it did look for awhile that we would quickly flip back into a fairly cold pattern thereafter in the central and eastern US but that looks more in doubt now

Old 01-17-2024, 10:16 AM

83,514 posts, read 75,277,900 times
Midday (east coast time)

Still below freezing down south. Feels like 10F here with wind

You can see where the front is held up in the GOM and South Florida.

Also..Notice the ocean effect cloud streets over the Atlantic due to strong cold air advection. Gulf has it too and not often you see that!

Zoomed in you can see it better.

Old 01-17-2024, 10:33 AM

2,508 posts, read 1,847,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Still below freezing down south. Feels like 10F here with wind

You can see where the front is held up in the GOM and South Florida.

Also..Notice the ocean effect cloud streets over the Atlantic due to strong cold air advection. Gulf has it too and not often you see that!

Zoomed in you can see it better.
Charleston really sticks out as the warm spot there. Did the Battery in downtown Charleston get below freezing this morning? Can'tthinkusername, can you confirm? Might be the only non-Florida location without a freeze yet this season for the southeast.

Edit: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KSCCHARL1256
Looks like they didn't!

Old 01-17-2024, 10:35 AM

83,514 posts, read 75,277,900 times
Quote:
Charleston really sticks out as the warm spot there. Did the Battery in downtown Charleston get below freezing this morning? Can'tthinkusername, can you confirm? Might be the only non-Florida location without a freeze yet this season for the southeast.
Not sure

Current Temps at 5000'

Old 01-17-2024, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Unfortunately, as much as I would like to, I can't confirm. The Battery station for Charleston was the one I was talking about when I said we can't check downtown Charleston, we have to wait until tomorrow at least (maybe even later if the data is slow to come in).

I can take a look at wunderground stations in Charleston's Battery, but we are not finding out today how cold the official weather station for The Battery got.

Edit: Yay! This station in downtown Charleston only got to 1C and it looks like it's right on the immediate coast like the Battery station (which is why that station is a warm spot): https://www.wunderground.com/dashboa...24-01-17/daily
I wish our 9B Tybee Island stations were located on the immediate coast like that, if they were this morning might have only dipped to 2C or so there.

Edit 2: You beat me to it, lol. That's 2 stations that did not.

Edit 3: 1000th reply in this thread! I'm on a roll today.

Last edited by Can't think of username; 01-17-2024 at 10:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather