Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2024, 08:26 AM

26,430 posts, read 46,615,085 times

Advertisements

Back to the extremely mild torch pattern for next week and way beyond. So a couple weeks of cold and everything else looks to be far above average.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2024, 08:35 AM

29,547 posts, read 19,640,423 times
A foot or more of snow will fall in the Northwest Indiana snowbelt while most of the Chicago area just got about 2 inches of snow overnight.

Longer range

Old 01-19-2024, 08:48 AM

2,508 posts, read 1,850,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can't think of username View Post
Believe it or not, yesterday morning was even more so! The data is now in and the Battery was only 4C compared to the -3C at the Charleston Airport, I've never seen a difference so large between them!
Could be that the Battery had more wind, I remember from Charleston Airport staying 3C warmer than Savannah Airport on November 29-30 that wind differences can reverse or exacerbate radiational differences and it's easy to see that happening here.

And although their substantial differences are in spite of their closer distance than Savannah Airport and Tybee Island (which as I've postulated before probably has to do with the fact that Charleston's Battery station is literally right on the immediate coast while even Tybee's is not), in the Southeast US you lose out on maritime influence during radiational events very rapidly when you are not on the immediate coast, so once a station is inland by a certain point it doesn't really make much or any difference as to whether it is just past the no maritime influence threshold, or many kilometers away.

Thank you for that little story lol. I did not know they were the Crab Shack restaurant, glad you enjoyed those crab legs.

Maybe one day I can get in on the action too! Although I am still not certain as to whether this is possible, in the future I may be able to visit Tallahassee and collaborate with meteorology professor Henry Fuelberg to set up some weather stations in the pine forest that can be compared to cold hole KTLH (and to the Challenger Learning Center).
If that is successful, when I fly back to Atlanta from Tallahassee, I might as well take a moment to go to Tybee Island before going home to try a bite of those mouthwatering-sounding crab legs in your honor.

So it looks like Charleston's Battery is the only non-Florida station that is frost-free, unless we can find some lucky wunderground spots.
So the Charleston Battery is now my new special spot!

If you wanted, you could become a student to Florida State University. You're Canadian, right? Might be too expensive for international applicants, though. There's been quite a bit of drama there recently due to their football team (despite being undefeated) not getting into the College Football Playoffs. I visited Tallahassee last year and was surprised by how hilly it was there. It is not flat like the rest of Florida is. Good luck with your future endeavours, lol.

Old 01-19-2024, 09:00 AM

121 posts, read 82,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullochResident View Post

If you wanted, you could become a student to Florida State University. You're Canadian, right? Might be too expensive for international applicants, though. There's been quite a bit of drama there recently due to their football team (despite being undefeated) not getting into the College Football Playoffs. I visited Tallahassee last year and was surprised by how hilly it was there. It is not flat like the rest of Florida is. Good luck with your future endeavours, lol.
where is Charleston Battery location at?

Old 01-19-2024, 09:27 AM

2,831 posts, read 1,416,590 times
Quote:
Congratulations! Finding special spots for Southeast US weather monitoring makes monitoring them all the better.

Fair warning, though: Charleston Battery is notably behind pretty much everywhere else in the Southeast US (except the Outer Banks) when it comes to heat monitoring. As much as I like to monitor it, that is why given a constant of overall good performance in all relevant categories, it is second place to places like Gainesville Airport, the inland Charleston Airport, and Dallas Love Field.
Quote:
If you wanted, you could become a student to Florida State University. You're Canadian, right? Might be too expensive for international applicants, though.
And there you just outlined exactly the main reason why I would NEVER apply to become a student at FSU. Having become used to the cold and snowy winters of where I live in Canada, one of my must-haves to live anywhere is winters somewhere in the Oshawa to Minneapolis range, for consistent and appreciable cold.
So as much as I like monitoring places like Tallahassee they stand no chance of ever having winter averages that I'd find even remotely appealing - which is to say nothing of the excessive heat, rain, sunshine, and seasonality in precipitation. If I lived there, bad monitoring years would become exactly the years I would want to experience the weather of for maximal comfort.
Quote:
There's been quite a bit of drama there recently due to their football team (despite being undefeated) not getting into the College Football Playoffs.
I have been considering following the Florida State Seminoles for a little extra fun: to see how well their performance correlates with good Tallahassee WeatherSTEM monitoring. It looks like this year it definitely does not correlate thanks to their bad luck.
Quote:
I visited Tallahassee last year and was surprised by how hilly it was there. It is not flat like the rest of Florida is.
And that is literally exactly why the Challenger Learning Center's weather monitoring is so fabulous. Being on top of the second highest hill in the city (62m), they are very very well protected from radiational cooling, and so will be spared from things like ripoff October, November, and March frosts - in fact, the coldest the Center has ever gotten from radiational cooling since the recording started was a mere -2C, and that took the very serious February 20 2015 cold front so you can see how safe they are from events such as March 2018 or November 2021 that gave hard frost to KTLH because of radiational cooling.
Quote:
Good luck with your future endeavours, lol.
Thanks. If the station setups are successful I will put them on wunderground and link them back here for us to monitor as new special spots alongside the rest of the Southeast US.
If I have the fortune of making my weather station trip during a radiational cold front, I might even take a moment to visit the Challenger Learning Center and experience first hand how much warmer it would be than cold hole KTLH. No amount of weather monitoring would ever equal such firsthand experience.

Old 01-19-2024, 09:30 AM

83,545 posts, read 75,390,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
Congrats to NYC for finally getting some snow (I think? seems like temps will be near freezing mark)..
Snowing everywhere down to DC this morning. NYC 30°F at surface. -10C at 5000'. Plenty of cold

The scene here. Light snow but some sticking happening

Old 01-19-2024, 09:32 AM

2,508 posts, read 1,850,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryankong2010 View Post
where is Charleston Battery location at?
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Th...cV9j?entry=ttu

Old 01-19-2024, 09:45 AM

121 posts, read 82,356 times
Quote:
oh i see

Old 01-19-2024, 11:26 AM

29,547 posts, read 19,640,423 times
As of yesterday we are at a -2.1F temperature anomaly at IKK, -2.0F at ORD and -1.6F at MDW

Big time thaw coming next week which will likely wipe out these anomalies.

If the MJO gets stuck in this area then February will be milder overall. If it progresses into phases 8,1, and 2 then we will see more cold.

Europe in the longer range

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GEOV1ChW...jpg&name=large

Old 01-19-2024, 11:41 AM

1,003 posts, read 329,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
As of yesterday we are at a -2.1F temperature anomaly at IKK, -2.0F at ORD and -1.6F at MDW

Big time thaw coming next week which will likely wipe out these anomalies.

If the MJO gets stuck in this area then February will be milder overall. If it progresses into phases 8,1, and 2 then we will see more cold.

Europe in the longer range

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GEOV1ChW...jpg&name=large

I would also guess that the snow cover will slowly retreat back up toward Canada. This years max snowcover (which normally occurs in late January) seems right around it's climatological normal. It looks like the deepest snowcover is now over Quebec and southern Ontario, in northern New England, and in the Intermountian West: Here on the East Coast, there is no snow cover south of Dover, Delaware.

Attached Thumbnails
Winter 2023-24 (Northern Hemisphere)-snocover.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather