Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2024, 09:16 PM

2,508 posts, read 1,850,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can't think of username View Post
As much as it may get on the nerves of members like Tom77falcons, this is one of the reasons I love Southeast US weather monitoring so much. Nowhere else has such wild, fun-to-monitor swings between hot and cold weather and everything in between all winter long in the Southeast US way.

If Daniel Field is on par with Savannah Airport, this may not be as advective as I initially suspected. Maybe there will be some fun variability based on wind and clouds like there was on November 29 and 30 last year.
As of 11 PM it's:

KDNL: 27 F
KSAV: 28 F
KCHS: 29 F
KTBR: 27 F, same as 8 PM.
Tybee Crab Shack: 35.8 F
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2024, 04:29 AM

30,455 posts, read 21,298,747 times
Just can't get near 32f here. Water is tooooo warm.

Old 01-21-2024, 05:31 AM

83,545 posts, read 75,390,209 times
Current Temps this morning...Another cold one from North to South.

Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
Been tracking the sky conditions this January

Jan 1: overcast
Jan 2: overcast
Jan 3: overcast
Jan 4: mix of sun & clouds
Jan 5: overcast
Jan 6: overcast
Jan 7: overcast
Jan 8: overcast
Jan 9: overcast
Jan 10: overcast
Jan 11: overcast
Jan 12: overcast
Jan 13: overcast
Jan 14: overcast
Jan 15: overcast
Jan 16: mostly cloudy
Jan 17: mostly cloudy
Jan 18: overcast
Jan 19: overcast
Jan 20: overcast

estimated MTD sunshine: ~8 hours...

December was like this too, only like 10-15 sunshine hours for the whole month... Normal for December should be 55 hours, and 80 hours for January.

Tomorrow we should get a bit of sun, but after that, more overcast weather for the foreseeable future. Maybe in February we finally start to see some sun.
My station tracks it, I have to check. It may look similar to yours. Lack of sun is why 1-2 inches of snow and ice hasnt melted in a week.

Old 01-21-2024, 06:30 AM

2,831 posts, read 1,416,590 times
Quote:
Tonight is really the night of reckoning for the Carolinas, Georgia, and most of non-panhandle Florida prior to the big warmup, with so many usual seasonal minimum ballparks forecasted. Some current seasonal lows (like Atlanta's -11C and Augusta Daniel Field's -6C) are to be rivaled, others (like Charleston Airport's -3C) are going to be SMASHED.
And, like the January 17 cold front, it is a similar time frame to nostalgia day January 18. Maybe January 20-21 will be some new nostalgia days if things are fairly good.

Areas I am most curious about:

-Outer Banks
-The monitoring trio of Charleston/Savannah/Augusta Daniel Field Airports
-Charleston Battery/Zone 9B Tybee Island/St Simons Island
-Tallahassee Challenger Learning Center
-Gainesville Airport
-Frost hollow Statesboro

Hope Bulloch makes the most of their chance to enjoy a brief taste of the kind of winter weather I like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullochResident View Post
As of 11 PM it's:

KDNL: 27 F
KSAV: 28 F
KCHS: 29 F
KTBR: 27 F, same as 8 PM.
Tybee Crab Shack: 35.8 F
TONS of underperformances this morning! I hope we see this in March too.

-Atlanta Hartsfield: -10C
-Augusta Daniel Field: -7C (the only 2 to match instead of underperform)
-Charleston Airport down to -4C
-Savannah Airport down to -5C
-Outer Banks down to -4C
-Zone 9B Tybee Crab Shack down to -2C
-St Simons Island down to -2C
-Tallahassee Challenger Learning Center down to -2C
-Gainesville Airport down to -1C
-Frost hollow Statesboro down to -6C

No telling on Charleston Battery until tomorrow.

Some bonuses:

-Looks like Brooksville cold hole airport got lucky with a 1C near miss. They stand a chance of having a frost-free January, which provided they get good frost dates with tons of heat monitoring this year, would make up for their crummy ripoff March 21/November 29 2023 frosts.
-Inverness Airport also got down to 1C. They are not as much a cold hole as Brooksville Airport a lot of the time, so not only might they have a chance at a frost-free January, this might be their first frost-free winter since 1974-75 if they are lucky.

Old 01-21-2024, 06:33 AM

29,547 posts, read 19,640,423 times
Wow

Old 01-21-2024, 07:14 AM

999 posts, read 329,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Just can't get near 32f here. Water is tooooo warm.
You are a bit NW of Tampa right?

I would guess sea temperatures do play a role in keeping you (like much of Florida) from ever really falling below freezing. Even right now in mid - winter, SST temps are still warm around much of Florida. Those cold fronts coming down really modify as they pass over Florida. If you look at current NOAA Sea surface temps, right now they are still near 60 F (16 C)...and in the 70's F over southeast Florida:

If you look at the map above of min temps this morning, that 39 - 40 F line always seems stuck in central Florida from Tampa Bay east to Cape C.

Old 01-21-2024, 08:00 AM

3,601 posts, read 2,695,441 times
Very cold first 20 days of January in Norway, might be the fourth consecutive month with below normal temperatures.

After 20 days of the month:
Trondheim AP Værnes (12 m):
24-hr Mean: -5.8C (-4.8C deviation from normal)
Abs low: -18.1C

Oslo (94 m, Blindern) is even more below normal:
Mean: -9.3C (-7.1C deviation from normal)
Abs low: -23.1C

However no one beats Karasjok this month (131 m):
Avg daily high: -19.5C
Avg daily low: -29C
Mean: -24C (-9.7C deviation from normal)
Abs low: -38.5C

Only the most coastal places has mean above 0C after 20 days
Vigra/Ålesund airport:
Avg daily high: 2.8C
Mean: 0.6C (-2.9C)
Abs low: -7.8C

However, these cold anomalies will moderate a lot before the month is over given the forecast, 3C here now and the forecast hardly has any freezing lows for Trondheim (temps is in Celsius):

https://www.yr.no/en/forecast/daily-...ndheim/Ranheim

Old 01-21-2024, 08:12 AM

2,508 posts, read 1,850,135 times
Quote:
TONS of underperformances this morning! I hope we see this in March too.

-Atlanta Hartsfield: -10C
-Augusta Daniel Field: -7C (the only 2 to match instead of underperform)
-Charleston Airport down to -4C
-Savannah Airport down to -5C
-Outer Banks down to -4C
-Zone 9B Tybee Crab Shack down to -2C
-St Simons Island down to -2C
-Tallahassee Challenger Learning Center down to -2C
-Gainesville Airport down to -1C
-Frost hollow Statesboro down to -6C

No telling on Charleston Battery until tomorrow.

Some bonuses:

-Looks like Brooksville cold hole airport got lucky with a 1C near miss. They stand a chance of having a frost-free January, which provided they get good frost dates with tons of heat monitoring this year, would make up for their crummy ripoff March 21/November 29 2023 frosts.
-Inverness Airport also got down to 1C. They are not as much a cold hole as Brooksville Airport a lot of the time, so not only might they have a chance at a frost-free January, this might be their first frost-free winter since 1974-75 if they are lucky.
Damn. I was hoping for a zone 8 winter here this year like last winter. Only got down to 21 F here.
KDNL's 19 F means they get 2 zone 8 winters in a row.
KSAV's final was 23 F, a new seasonal low. Still below freezing at 10 AM.
KCHS's final was 24 F, a new seasonal low. Still below freezing at 10 AM.

Marsh Tybee (Crab Shack) was 27.7 F, which I think is a new seasonal low.
Mainland Tybee was 25.9 F, which is a few degrees colder than earlier in the week. Both are still below freezing at 10 AM.

Old 01-21-2024, 08:19 AM

2,831 posts, read 1,416,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullochResident View Post
Damn. I was hoping for a zone 8 winter here this year like last year. Only got down to 21 F here.
You'll get it if we repeat February 2015 level anomalies for Georgia like some of the models suggest.
Quote:
KDNL's 19 F means they get 2 zone 8 winters in a row.
As much as I want to witness those zone 9 Daniel Field winters, -7C is a hell of a lot better than that -12C from 2022, it's only 2C off from Daniel Field's usual -5C.
Quote:
KSAV's final was 23 F, a new seasonal low. Still below freezing at 10 AM.
KCHS's final was 24 F, a new seasonal low. Still below freezing at 10 AM.
These are 2-3C underperformances, easily the biggest of the underperforming I mentioned. I can't say enough how much I want to see underperformances like this in March for good last frosts!
Quote:
Marsh Tybee (Crab Shack) was 27.7 F, which I think is a new seasonal low.
Mainland Tybee was 25.9 F, which is a few degrees colder than earlier in the week. Both are still below freezing at 10 AM.
Bingo on the new seasonal low. And you can really see the difference of being on or close to the immediate coast vs any real distance inland in this case.

Those are some impressive 0C durations though!

Edit: Central and South Florida got off pretty easy, as might be expected. From low-mid single digits in Daytona Beach, Orlando, Tampa and St. Petersburg (although sadly we can't check Archbold), to not even getting out of the double digits C in parts of the Miami metro area!
I don't think Miami Airport has even dropped below 11C this season! Has been fun monitoring its warmth.

Old 01-21-2024, 08:44 AM

83,545 posts, read 75,390,209 times
Just a reminder for those folks who look at those red above normal maps..... It can snow with Avg temps being above normal.

Avg temp is above normal in the Northeast for the month yet we had a few snow events and over a foot of snow has fallen. Imagine that.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather