Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2024, 10:55 AM

5,902 posts, read 6,111,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
Yup huge torch
January is shaping up to be more and more above average here. Currently +1.2F above the 20 year average, but the forecast for the rest of the month looks like it'll bump that up to +4.6F.

December has been very warm, January also warm, and February... we'll see but if it ends up below average, it's not looking like it'll be by huge margins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2024, 11:55 AM

827 posts, read 866,788 times
In Saskatoon until Jan 21 we have an average of -19.8C, which is 4.3 below the 1981-2010 average. The last days of January will be much much warmer. I believe the month will end being close to the average, not sure if slightly below or slightly above.

Old 01-22-2024, 12:35 PM

2,831 posts, read 1,416,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullochResident View Post
Some lows here this morning before the big warmup:

KTBR: 24 F
KDNL: 28 F
KSAV: 29 F
KCHS: 23 F
Tybee Crab Shack: 39.2 F
The data for Charleston Battery yesterday is in! As might be expected from an advective cold front they were a bit colder than Tybee Crab Shack and not much warmer than the Charleston Airport.
The low was -3C which doesn't just mean the first frost but also the usual seasonal minimum was met!

I will say that is quite the contrary to Charleston Airport which so far is 2C warmer than the usual seasonal minimum. Hope your first frost monitoring for it was as fun as mine.

Old 01-22-2024, 12:39 PM

83,545 posts, read 75,390,209 times
Main OP models have the Sunday 28th storm...

GFS, Canadian, German has the energy transferring over Mid Atlantic and the coastal staying well off shore,

Euro says the primary will be a Lake Cutter () and then transfer over PA & NJ. Interesting the middle solution of this would bring a snowstorm to Philly to Boston

Still, I dont like the pattern leading up to this, too warm. Too ridgey

Old 01-22-2024, 01:22 PM

585 posts, read 245,955 times
Can we please get a torch in March & April?

I hope we don't waste all this projected winter warmth only to get cold in Spring

Old 01-22-2024, 02:00 PM

2,508 posts, read 1,850,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can't think of username View Post
The data for Charleston Battery yesterday is in! As might be expected from an advective cold front they were a bit colder than Tybee Crab Shack and not much warmer than the Charleston Airport.
The low was -3C which doesn't just mean the first frost but also the usual seasonal minimum was met!

I will say that is quite the contrary to Charleston Airport which so far is 2C warmer than the usual seasonal minimum. Hope your first frost monitoring for it was as fun as mine.
Yep. Been a fun ride. Good to know all (official) non-Florida locales froze at least once this winter!

Old 01-22-2024, 02:05 PM

2,508 posts, read 1,850,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can't think of username View Post
Definitely radiational with frost hollow Statesboro living up to its name, and Tybee Island/Augusta Daniel Field matching/beating Charleston and Savannah Airports.
Plus Gainesville Airport reached 3C.

I can hardly wait for such spectacular heat monitoring, all these places will be getting several days and nights of heat on par with or exceeding Miami's January averages. Just as fun as good frost monitoring and one of the biggest things the Southeast US weather monitoring excels at delivering.
I tend to do my heat monitoring in the summer. My favorite spots I love monitoring are in southern Arizona. In particular the UHI influenced Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport vs the more rural/suburban/higher elevated Falcon Field. The former gets a ton more 100 F+ and 110F+ days than the latter does!

Old 01-22-2024, 02:14 PM

2,831 posts, read 1,416,590 times
Quote:
I tend to do my heat monitoring in the summer. My favorite spots I love monitoring are in southern Arizona. In particular the UHI influenced Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport vs the more rural/suburban/higher elevated Falcon Field. The former gets a ton more 100 F+ and 110F+ days than the latter does!
I'm talking about monitoring season heat monitoring, which in the context I mean would be specific to the Southeast US as the converse of the frost/cold weather monitoring (save for South Florida which is continuous heat monitoring).

I think you are probably already doing some monitoring season heat monitoring for the Southeast US even if unintentional, you have made comments about Southeast US monitoring season heat as it happened which is exactly what the heat monitoring I am referring to is.
Quote:
82 F was the high here. Savannah got up to 84 F. There's still a chance we could hit 86 F/30 C over the next few days.
Quote:
Bush Intercontinental didn't drop below 76 F this morning. LMAO! WTF?!

Keep in mind, this is an inland airport north of Houston we're talking about here!
My summer heat monitoring is for places like Minneapolis and especially the Northwoods.

By the way, on the other comment it seems like Charleston Battery so far has a seasonal low 2C colder than Gainesville Airport despite the reverse being exactly the opposite of current climate normals. It is also just like last winter.

Old 01-22-2024, 04:49 PM

30,459 posts, read 21,298,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonusa3 View Post
It must be tough for you to live in Florida.

That must be like hating 30's F and living in Montreal or Minneapolis.
80 85f is not too bad if the dews are low. But once dews are 74f to 84f it is nasty and mid 90's with high 70's dews is insane nasty like last summer with a west flow.

Old 01-22-2024, 04:50 PM

30,459 posts, read 21,298,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
I'd take 80 plus right now and I assume the humidity can't be too bad this time of year even in FLA.
Most times it is tamed down in the winter. But it can be super high in Jan like 2015 was on a few days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather