Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2024, 07:00 AM

2,815 posts, read 1,405,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can't think of username View Post
A number of places were overachieving this late wintertime heatwave. Valdosta Airport was most notable, I believe the forecast was something like 29C or 30C but they ended up reaching 32C.

If 2024 follows 2015 and 2020 for being one of Valdosta Airport's 'good' monitoring years, that certainly delivers on the wintertime heat I expect from it.
Forgot to comment this on March 20. The winter part of this March definitely has been delivering on special spot Valdosta Airport's winter heat: average high March 1-19 is 25C which is even warmer than the average for tropical Miami Beach within the same time period.

In fact, that's about as warm as the winter parts of the March 2015 and March 2020 I so regret not monitoring Valdosta explicitly for. I guess 2024 makes up for missing those.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2024, 06:38 PM
SFX

1,635 posts, read 889,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFX View Post
Mainstream models starting to agree with the crazy AI projections

NE US blizzard in store

One thing I like about weather models. You don't have to wait until 2100 to find out if they are accurate
Quote:
I find it amusing that the heavy snow in Colorado is a matter of contention. Meanwhile the blizzard for the Northeast is looking more certain, and the AI model still refuses to listen to the pundits.

I suspect it's using the upper levels patterns, which definitely are showing the cold is coming.

And they are also really strange looking

Oh sure I know everybody went to the Spring thread and are celebrating record heat. But Mother Nature always bats last.
Quote:
With multiple heavy snows a comin, I can't post in the spring thread yet.
Also, there is this one really annoying person that ALWAYS posts in whatever thread is the latest "let's talk about our weather", and not seeing those posts has been heavenly.

So the blizzard is a certainty at this point.

Old 04-05-2024, 07:25 AM

2,815 posts, read 1,405,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can't think of username View Post
I can't speak for all downtown areas, but my main difficulty in my main downtown area for weather monitoring in a downtown area (that is Tallahassee) has been my main Challenger Learning Center WeatherSTEM station glitching out at times.

Currently said station has been glitched out since February 21, which is the longest it has ever done that, and my query to WeatherSTEM to fix it goes unanswered. Luckily there is a station at FSU which tends to be quite similar that I have used as my workaround to fill in its gaps, and it's still going, so the FSU data can be substituted until the Challenger Learning Center station gets going again.

Also, contrary to what some people think, I have no reason to believe they overread temperatures because of concrete thermal radiation. Daytime highs are colder than the referential cold hole airport (exactly the opposite of what would happen if thermal radiation was causing a problem), and the substantially warmer nighttime temperatures are exactly what one would expect from their moister clay soil and locations on tall, cold air-draining hilltops (as well as not being artificial cold holes like the airport is).
It's not winter anymore, but at last! The Challenger Learning Center WeatherSTEM is back online since 4:24 PM yesterday.

So that would be 42 full days and a bit of another day that they were offline! I can't overstate how grateful I am that the FSU WeatherSTEM kept things going with substitutable data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather