Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2023, 01:24 PM

2,831 posts, read 1,416,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullochResident View Post
Looks like cantthinkofusernames' final inland freezeless locations of George Bush Airport and Gainesville Airport will need be monitored again.
There's more inland frost-free sites than that, actually. You're just thinking of the most special spots.

-Del Rio Airport
-New Iberia Airport
-Huntsville Texas Airport
-Inverness Airport
-If it is not giving erroneous readings, Conroe Airport
-Ocala Airport (I think I mistook dewpoint for temperature in the past 3 days observed weather back on November 29, the monthly data says it only got to 2C)
-Archbold Station
-Not an official site but my KGAVALDO5 wunderground station for Valdosta
-Tallahassee Challenger Learning Center WeatherSTEM (KFLTALLA166)

Out of all of these others Huntsville, Conroe, New Iberia and maybe Valdosta are the only ones with tricky forecasts, the rest should be good to go sometime into 2024.
Quote:
George Bush Airport is currently forecast for 34 F/1 C both tonight and tomorrow night. Gainesville Airport is forecast for 34 F/1 C on Saturday night. Will they overachieve?
As much as I like New-Years first frosts for the Southeast US, I certainly wouldn't be complaining if they do. At this point any overperformances are well into my 'ideal' winter solstice or later territory for the first frosts, with Houston George Bush Airport a month into its longest ever frost free season.

That being said it would be great if Gainesville Airport can beat the 347-day record of longest frost free season from February 4 2021-January 18 2022. Not just for the longest ever frost-free season, but to do so they would need to set a new record for either second latest first frost or latest ever.
Plus to see them get a January first frost to Jacksonville Airport's November 30 first frost will be funny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2023, 04:51 PM

30,459 posts, read 21,298,747 times
Rained 14 hours and still only .35" just insane. Gonna end the year with 25" below normal.

Old 12-28-2023, 07:02 PM

585 posts, read 245,955 times
The lack of sunshine and dreariness combined with the shortest days of the year is really getting me down.

Just NINE short weeks until March with longer days and a stronger sun angle. Hopefully winter doesn't decided to show up then

Old 12-28-2023, 09:40 PM

5,902 posts, read 6,111,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Ground so moist and not frozen. Been foggy lately too because of the warmth

11amEST map
I've been in fog and rain for 6 days now.

Average Relative Humidity at Elora RCS.

Dec 21: 82.6%
Dec 22: 89.5%
Dec 23: 96.6%
Dec 24: 98.6%
Dec 25: 100.0%
Dec 26: 100.0%
Dec 27: 99.6%
Dec 28: 98.6%

I'm currently in Montreal visiting family where it's also foggy. Looks like Saturday it should clear up a bit though. View from Mount Royal towards downtown Montreal this afternoon.

Old 12-28-2023, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Togan93 View Post
The lack of sunshine and dreariness combined with the shortest days of the year is really getting me down.

Just NINE short weeks until March with longer days and a stronger sun angle. Hopefully winter doesn't decided to show up then
Honestly even February is worth looking forward to. While it's still cold then, the sun is already noticeably stronger, with longer days and sunnier weather.

Current day length in Toronto is 8:57 with solar noon angle of 23deg.

By February 1, the days will already be an hour longer, with solar noon angle of 29deg.

By February 28, 2:11 longer days (11:08 day length) with 38deg sun angle.

I've found that snow melts noticeably more easily in February due to the sun being stronger and conditions being less overcast and humid compared to December.

Despite that, December tends to be too mild for snow accumulation in Toronto much of the time. This year, it's been so mild that even Elora and Montreal have been mostly snow free this month...

But honestly, even January seems like something to look forward to if it gets a little colder. If we can get some sunshine, and some snow, that should brighten things up a little. You know you have it bad when overcast weather is something to look forward to after days of heavy fog and drizzly rain.

Old 12-28-2023, 10:30 PM

My part of southern Ontario is still on track for 2nd warmest December in 140 years of records, and that's pretty tame compared to the anomalies that have been seen in the northern Prairie provinces.

Old 12-28-2023, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Togan93 View Post

I feel lucky to be the cold lover that I am in such a climate. If we do get a cold March I will be getting a good kick out of it, you can be assured of that.

For me, the 'ideal' cold March would be akin to March 2014 or March 2015 - excellent combinations of lots of cold weather and a lack of sustained mild weather gave both means several degrees under 0C.

Last edited by Can't think of username; 12-28-2023 at 10:45 PM..

Old 12-29-2023, 06:09 AM

29,547 posts, read 19,640,423 times

Cloudy December here. No snow on the ground. Pretty ugly scene

Temps to remain above average over the next 10 days but not as dramatically so for the most part as they have been

We aren't alone in the snow drought

We'll see if things change in the 8-14 day period.

Link

Old 12-29-2023, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can't think of username View Post
There's more inland frost-free sites than that, actually. You're just thinking of the most special spots.

-Del Rio Airport
-New Iberia Airport
-Huntsville Texas Airport
-Inverness Airport
-If it is not giving erroneous readings, Conroe Airport
-Ocala Airport (I think I mistook dewpoint for temperature in the past 3 days observed weather back on November 29, the monthly data says it only got to 2C)
-Archbold Station
-Not an official site but my KGAVALDO5 wunderground station for Valdosta
-Tallahassee Challenger Learning Center WeatherSTEM (KFLTALLA166)

Out of all of these others Huntsville, Conroe, New Iberia and maybe Valdosta are the only ones with tricky forecasts, the rest should be good to go sometime into 2024.

As much as I like New-Years first frosts for the Southeast US, I certainly wouldn't be complaining if they do. At this point any overperformances are well into my 'ideal' winter solstice or later territory for the first frosts, with Houston George Bush Airport a month into its longest ever frost free season.

That being said it would be great if Gainesville Airport can beat the 347-day record of longest frost free season from February 4 2021-January 18 2022. Not just for the longest ever frost-free season, but to do so they would need to set a new record for either second latest first frost or latest ever.
Plus to see them get a January first frost to Jacksonville Airport's November 30 first frost will be funny.
Houston George Bush Airport got to 3C, New Iberia Airport got to 0C, and Huntsville Airport got to at least 1C.
For New Iberia Airport a December 29 first frost is a great showing.

As of today Gainesville Airport's coldest forecasts have been revised to 2C. With the comparative ripoff places in mind, Gainesville Airport's tiptop performance is all the more phenomenal.

Old 12-29-2023, 07:04 AM

585 posts, read 245,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
I've found that snow melts noticeably more easily in February due to the sun being stronger and conditions being less overcast and humid compared to December.
Really? Snow sticks around here just fine in February if the weather is cold enough. Even March can sustain snow cover if the temps remain below freezing and we don't get too much sun. I'm slightly further north than you though so I'm sure that makes a difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather