Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2024, 06:58 AM

1,032 posts, read 349,764 times

Advertisements

The blast of color is really what still amazes me about spring. The grass goes from a dull, dry, brown at the end of March, to a tropical - green by mid April. While I enjoy the long season of green and jungle like dense foliage, the colors in April are still the biggest part of the show.

This was near New Haven, CT (90 miles east of NYC):

Attached Thumbnails
NH Spring / SH Autumn 2024 Photo Thread-20240425_163425.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2024, 08:51 AM

5,753 posts, read 3,545,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonusa3 View Post
The blast of color is really what still amazes me about spring. The grass goes from a dull, dry, brown at the end of March, to a tropical - green by mid April. While I enjoy the long season of green and jungle like dense foliage, the colors in April are still the biggest part of the show.

This was near New Haven, CT (90 miles east of NYC):
At what point along the East Coast does the grass start to remain green year round?

Old 04-26-2024, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
At what point along the East Coast does the grass start to remain green year round?
That’s kind of a tough one. It matters how quick temps warm up/get cold from what I’ve observed. Also, what types of grass they plant and if they water it winter seems to make a difference.

I know that here along the coast from Connecticut to southern Delaware (where I travel most often), the grass is green from early April to maybe late November. If early December is mild, my grass may still be semi-green until mid-December. My lawn is normally brown/yellowish from late December through late March. It's not just the cold, but the dry air seems to just make it like straw.

Farther down the East Coast (maybe Virginia south), they plant certain grasses that can handle the heat and intense sun from what I’ve heard (I think they call it St. Augustine grass/Bermuda grass, but I’m not sure on that), so the grass is green all year. However, the far lower East Coast (South Georgia through Florida) has a fairly sharp dry season in winter. So while grass that is watered all winter is a lush green (you always see sprinklers going in winter in Florida – lol), grasses that is not irrigated can look sun pulverized and yellowish until the rains come back in May.

Old 04-27-2024, 09:45 PM

2,953 posts, read 2,929,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
Perhaps, but the Lake District of Patagonia is just jaw-droppingly beautiful. There are no words.
The compliment is appreciated I gift you with a great picturesque video of the area (that channel is dope in general) for your enjoyment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoMROYkl474

Old 04-28-2024, 07:43 AM

83,611 posts, read 75,637,613 times
End of April and coastal CT finally looking like spring

While we get frost

Downburst seen on Long Island from I-95

Old 04-29-2024, 11:48 AM

3,606 posts, read 2,702,789 times
Yesterday I saw the first fruit trees start to flower. This was near the fjord in Trondheim on April 28th (Grillstad area), where several trees was flowering, very nice!

Old 04-29-2024, 04:42 PM

Near the mouth of the Connecticut River as it empties into Long Island Sound - 90 miles east of NYC:

Old Yesterday, 03:09 PM

3,606 posts, read 2,702,789 times
Apple, plum and pear tree are all flowering in my garden now, very nice. And my vine is green.
Trondheim is a green city and this sudden warm weather in spring has led to huge amount of pollen being released in a short time span. This is even visible in this image I took down at the pier in Trondheim today (wide angel), floating on the sea.

Old Yesterday, 07:57 PM

5,924 posts, read 6,146,548 times
Cherry is done flowering here. Apple and pear are still flowering but slightly past the flowering peak.

Old Today, 10:45 AM

Flowers and blooms are at their peak along the middle East Coast of the USA. In another month the heat and sun will pulverize them and the dark green will fade to light green - lol.

Around Ocean City, MD/Delaware coastline:

Attached Thumbnails
NH Spring / SH Autumn 2024 Photo Thread-occ1.jpg   NH Spring / SH Autumn 2024 Photo Thread-occ2.jpg   NH Spring / SH Autumn 2024 Photo Thread-occ5.jpg   NH Spring / SH Autumn 2024 Photo Thread-occ6.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather