Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2024, 12:23 PM

5,721 posts, read 3,504,425 times

Advertisements

Spring is here!

But not for the West Coast. Flew to Calgary yesterday and it was very winter-like.

Victoria was gloomy; mid-winter vibes.

Not a lot to see during the flight because of all the clouds. Slocan Lake with the Selkirk Mountains behind did briefly pop into view.

Also a fleeting glimpse of Fairmont Hot Springs and the small ski resort there nestled on the Kootenay Ranges.

Descending into Calgary there were some bizarre clouds: what looks like an ice cap below is actually cloud tops.

Calgary also has mid-winter vibes going on.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2024, 12:15 PM

5,036 posts, read 4,350,891 times
Still some bare deciduous vegetation.

A lot of oak leaves on the ground.

Old 03-05-2024, 04:49 PM

5,889 posts, read 6,088,552 times
Warm humid afternoon today, high of 15.5C (60F). Average high for March 5 is 0C (32F).

Somehow there's still a few little patches of snow left.

Old 03-07-2024, 09:26 PM

Tuesday and Wednesday I spent driving from Edmonton to Victoria.

Yesterday (Wednesday) was Kamloops to the coast via the Coquihalla Highway. Not a sightseeing trip so no time for photos; just a few frame captures from videos taken through the windshield.

Climbing up out of Kamloops the highway goes first over the Clapperton Creek Summit at 1444 m which is the highest point on the trip--but not the snowiest.

On the way up, not quite to the top:

Then the highway descends down out of the snow (for the most part) into the Nicola Valley and the town of Merrit (elevation 605 m):

Then it's back up again to the Coquihalla Pass (1244 m). This is usually the snowiest part of the drive. On the way up:

Zopkios brake check area, at elevation ~1200 m just past the summit and before the steep descent back down to the "Wet Coast":

Old 03-08-2024, 08:58 AM

Something different this time--and it's really going to test your patience!

A video of driving through the neighbourhood and into the nearby forest of PKOLS/Mount Douglas Park. It will take you more than 8 minutes to get to the end. Hopefully somebody gets something out of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYqXAORIVX8

Old 03-08-2024, 02:38 PM

Photos from yesterday.

Maples are budding out.

Winter wheat is back into growth mode

Lots of sunshine yesterday.

Old 03-08-2024, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
Photos from yesterday.

Maples are budding out.

Winter wheat is back into growth mode

Lots of sunshine yesterday.

Nice, looks like spring. What variety of maples? I haven't seen our maples doing anything.

Old 03-08-2024, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
Nice, looks like spring. What variety of maples? I haven't seen our maples doing anything.
Silver maple I think, although I'm not as good at identifying them when they don't have leaves on them yet. And just to be clear, those are flower buds not leaf buds. The leaves are going to come much later, but flowers typically form in early spring here.

Old 03-08-2024, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
Silver maple I think, although I'm not as good at identifying them when they don't have leaves on them yet. And just to be clear, those are flower buds not leaf buds. The leaves are going to come much later, but flowers typically form in early spring here.
I had always thought that maple leaves always emerge immediately after the flowers but today I learned that's not always the case. And, in fact, one of the species where there's a big delay between flowers and leaves is the silver maple.

https://arboretum.harvard.edu/storie...to-the-maples/

Meanwhile, my first video was such a dismal failure that I feel compelled to post a second one. Same day; similar location.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXQi4NfDXB8

Old 03-13-2024, 09:07 PM

Birds are singing, sun is shining, second day of t-shirt weather, and the full suite of early spring flowers are blooming, many of them have been since as much as a week ago. Usually this would be more of a late March-mid April set of flowers.

Snowdrops

Winter aconites

Crocuses

English daisy

Hellebores

Irises

Buds forming on non-silver maples too now.

Doggo went down to the river but can't get back up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather