Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one is more subtropical?
NZ 4 16.67%
Virginia 12 50.00%
Both in their way 3 12.50%
Not sure it is too hard to really know 0 0%
Depends what part of each place 5 20.83%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2024, 02:08 PM

142 posts, read 33,105 times

Advertisements

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clim...s_Virginia.png There are a few Dfb microclimates in some elevated areas only. The main town of Shenandoah is still Cfa humid-subtropical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2024, 05:22 PM

397 posts, read 255,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltic Whaler View Post
Motueka never maded frost...
You've got to be kidding me, why does the weather forum attract so much stupidity?

Old 03-17-2024, 05:28 PM

901 posts, read 345,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emman85 View Post
You've got to be kidding me, why does the weather forum attract so much stupidity?
It's clearly sarcasm from 'Baltic Whaler' (obviously a troll)

Old 03-17-2024, 05:43 PM

397 posts, read 255,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesterlyWX View Post
It's clearly sarcasm from 'Baltic Whaler' (obviously a troll)
The sad part is I've heard much more ridiculous stuff on this weather forum that's sincere, can't even tell if something is real or a parody on here.

Old 03-17-2024, 07:39 PM

2,818 posts, read 1,406,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emman85 View Post
The sad part is I've heard much more ridiculous stuff on this weather forum that's sincere, can't even tell if something is real or a parody on here.
Ditto. I think the Dallas/Minneapolis/Miami thread is the best example of that, you can't get much more ridiculous than seriously using logic that dictates places like Savannah and Gainesville are more similar to Minneapolis than Miami.

As for the thread, I stand by what I said before: you can't be Cfa with no high sun seasonal shift to tropical trade winds. Virginia has that, New Zealand does not.

Old 03-17-2024, 09:04 PM

405 posts, read 81,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can't think of username View Post
Ditto. I think the Dallas/Minneapolis/Miami thread is the best example of that, you can't get much more ridiculous than seriously using logic that dictates places like Savannah and Gainesville are more similar to Minneapolis than Miami.

As for the thread, I stand by what I said before: you can't be Cfa with no high sun seasonal shift to tropical trade winds. Virginia has that, New Zealand does not.
Facts.

Old 03-17-2024, 09:41 PM

383 posts, read 95,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can't think of username View Post

While NZ doesn't get classic trade winds during summer, it does get very frequent high pressure that is subtropical, as well as relatively frequent low pressure systems that form in the coral sea,. There are also cyclones and atmospheric rivers - these are typically in the warmer half of the year, with the subtropical highs occurring all year, and northerly low pressure systems year round to a lesser degree.

The assumption that some have regarding nz as being cool primarily due to systems that come from the south west, is really only true for the southern half of the south island, which tend not to be effected by any of the mentioned systems to any real degree.

Last edited by sandshark; 03-17-2024 at 09:59 PM..

Old 03-17-2024, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandshark View Post
While NZ doesn't get classic trade winds during summer, it does get very frequent high pressure that is subtropical

The assumption that some have regarding nz as being cool primarily due to systems that come from the south west, is really only true for the southern half of the south island
That's a lie and you know it. Even places like Central NSW don't get 'subtropical highs year round' (lmao). You'd have to go north of 33 S for that.

I live at 36 S and I sure as hell don't get any real high pressure in the winter. Winter here is dominated by mid to high latitude low pressure systems, hence the cloudiness. Meanwhile the southern half of the South Island is borderline Subantarctic (46 S to 60 S).

Last edited by WesterlyWX; 03-17-2024 at 10:25 PM..

Old 03-17-2024, 10:25 PM

383 posts, read 95,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesterlyWX View Post
That's a lie and you know it. Even places like Central NSW don't get 'subtropical highs year round' (lmao). You'd have to go north of 33 S for that.

I live at 36 S, further north than Auckland and I sure as hell don't get any real high pressure in winter. Winter here is dominated by mid to high latitude low pressure systems.
Migrating high pressure is a feature of nz winters. It can other come from the nw, or from the sw.

Old 03-17-2024, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandshark View Post
High pressure is a feature of nz winters. They can other come from the nw, or from the sw.
Excuse me... SUBTROPICAL high pressure from the SW ?? Am I reading this correctly??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather