Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 10:55 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,518,882 times

Advertisements

Waiting for the weather. My wife is exhausted after two tough work days so I told her to crash and I'll watch for tornadoes, etc. Spending my night in the recliner. Tornadoes south of us already, our turn comes later.

Check out central IA tonight. This is getting old...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 11:17 PM

18,700 posts, read 41,907,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Waiting for the weather. My wife is exhausted after two tough work days so I told her to crash and I'll watch for tornadoes, etc. Spending my night in the recliner. Tornadoes south of us already, our turn comes later.

Check out central IA tonight. This is getting old...
When I was down in Texas, I bought a weather alert radio that has an alarm on it. When a new weather alert comes in, it sets off the alarm. You punch the button and it gives you the alert. The only thing better that I've found is the one I bought that is battery operated for when the power is out. haha A great $15 investment for either one. At least you can get some sleep during the night.

Old 06-04-2008, 11:23 PM

1,378 posts, read 6,195,971 times
I don't know how you folks do it.....I just couldn't live where that's a constant worry. Be safe and take care.

Old 06-04-2008, 11:30 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,518,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
When I was down in Texas, I bought a weather alert radio that has an alarm on it. When a new weather alert comes in, it sets off the alarm. You punch the button and it gives you the alert. The only thing better that I've found is the one I bought that is battery operated for when the power is out. haha A great $15 investment for either one. At least you can get some sleep during the night.
The problem is that they go off for everything! I get so tired of being pulled out of sleep for a flood warning (If we get flooded out the entire state will be under water!) that I shut the darn thing off. I'd rather stay awake than keep getting jerked awake all night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrie View Post
I don't know how you folks do it.....I just couldn't live where that's a constant worry. Be safe and take care.
Been here my whole life. I think this has been the worst year yet for central IA. Thank you for your concern.

They are now talking about another flood year like 1993. Not good.

Old 06-04-2008, 11:55 PM

3,542 posts, read 8,222,738 times
Not true, you can buy a customizeable one.

Y'all take care, very crazy year up there.

Old 06-04-2008, 11:58 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,341,842 times
Wasn't tonight another wild night? My gosh, every few minutes they had either a new watch or a warning and were telling people to head for shelter.

We had a very strong thunderstorm (just like last night) and a very heavy rain, but so far no tornadoes.

Wasn't there a couple of them in Neb, too?

Old 06-05-2008, 12:01 AM
NCN

21,665 posts, read 25,515,592 times
Hope your night goes well. NOAA - National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration

Old 06-05-2008, 12:06 AM

3,542 posts, read 8,222,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Wasn't tonight another wild night? My gosh, every few minutes they had either a new watch or a warning and were telling people to head for shelter.

We had a very strong thunderstorm (just like last night) and a very heavy rain, but so far no tornadoes.

Wasn't there a couple of them in Neb, too?
There were several reports anywhere from Colorado, Nebraska all the way to the Mid Atlantic.

Unfortunately, more severe storms likely today and tomorrow. Severe weather season is far from over.

Old 06-05-2008, 01:01 AM

7,913 posts, read 927,983 times
be safe!

Old 06-05-2008, 01:04 AM

5,054 posts, read 6,875,455 times
I though this thread was going to about hot nighttime temps......

Tornadoes are a real worry, but the good news is they only hit a small area so in reality, you chances of getting hit are pretty tiny indeed..... heck, we often miss out on thunderstorms!. Even here in Victoria, tornadoes are a real worry in summer, especially across the northern plains of the state, where thunderstorms are incredibly intense (humid air from the south colliding with unstable heat from the north).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather