Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one is more subtropical
Wellington, NZ 1 5.26%
Atlanta, GA 16 84.21%
Both in their way 2 10.53%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2024, 04:14 PM

853 posts, read 693,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesja View Post
Atlanta is not a “winter jacket” climate. Atlanta doesn’t have four seasons either. Massachusetts has 4 seasons.
It does have four seasons, just with a mild winter. Most subtropical climates have four seasons. The ones that don't are the Monsoon Subtropical climates (like Islamabad, which has five seasons) and the borderline Tropical climates (like Tampa, which really has two seasons).

Most climates between the Polar Regions and the Tropics, with some exceptions, are four-season climates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2024, 04:39 PM

34 posts, read 4,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey the Otter View Post
It does have four seasons, just with a mild winter. Most subtropical climates have four seasons. The ones that don't are the Monsoon Subtropical climates (like Islamabad, which has five seasons) and the borderline Tropical climates (like Tampa, which really has two seasons).

Most climates between the Polar Regions and the Tropics, with some exceptions, are four-season climates.
Atlanta has 3 seasons. Massachusetts has 4.

Old 04-11-2024, 07:55 PM

395 posts, read 80,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
Wellington vs Atlanta?

As predicted, we are now one step closer to Invercargill vs Tampa.
That’s what made me make the thread

Old 04-11-2024, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Atlanta has 3 seasons. Massachusetts has 4.
No Atlanta has 4 seasons, how can you say 3. I was born in northern Alabama eventhough winters are not brutal as continental climates we have the 4 seasons. December-March is winter and frost is common in nights and early morning and cold days, March-May we do have spring, March blooms, April greens up, and May heats up into the hellish long tropical summer, June-September the tropical hell!!’ October and November is our beautiful fall season with perfect sunny weather and colorful leaves, warm to hot days and cold nights, it is infact the most comfortable of the season. 3 seasons, impossible, what are those seasons. 3 seasons for me is maybe here, but not quite it is more like an obvious transition from 4 to 2 perfectly without ever expressing in 3. Where do you get this idea which is completele nonsense?!

Btw Boston Massachusetts is humid subtropical still, though with a perfect continental vibe being close to boundary. The fact that Cape Cod which is oceanic has a native plant which is from subtropical climates, that makes me view oceanic climates way different. Ilex opaca is a humid subtropical native in the US, so if oceanic Cape Cod nearly continental(strong continental vibe) can grow a subtropical as native, the NZ compared to it with its warm oceanic is a tropical paradise and the fact that it’s vegetation is frost tender, that makes total sense.

Old 04-11-2024, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey the Otter View Post

Well I would say Tampa is around a starting of 2 tropical seasons, but it still has the basic 4 if you check well, Miami which is tropical is really 2. If you see for example how the seasons of Islamabad and New Delhi are placed into 5, Tampa in that sense has 4, but Tampa being almost tropical saying 2 also makes sense. So it is best if we just set the seasonality aside. If a climate doesn’t keep snowpack for a month or more(that marks a real cold winter) and has hot summers it is subtropical, even if there is a million seasons. Lets get real here.

Yep I agree with you, most climates between tropics and poles are 4 season climates including some subtropicals.

Old 04-11-2024, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Atlanta is not a “winter jacket” climate. Atlanta doesn’t have four seasons either. Massachusetts has 4 seasons.
Well then what do you think I use in winter even here in FL, shorts? No I use jackets even here, just imagine Atlanta, way more. Well in FL winter is sweater weather, except Southern FL whoch is right tropical and sweater weather is occasional and not a norm, even shorts is a norm there. In Atlanta you fluctuate between sweater weather and very cold days of year jackets and even layers, but the winter days that reach 24°C, wearing shorts is normal, so it is mixed I guess. Well something I can assure you in Atlanta is sweaters always in entire season, here in FL sweaters are good but not always necessary(though in winter nights you will surely want them).

Old 04-11-2024, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subtropical-is-temperate3 View Post
Well I would say Tampa is around a starting of 2 tropical seasons, but it still has the basic 4 if you check well, Miami which is tropical is really 2. If you see for example how the seasons of Islamabad and New Delhi are placed into 5, Tampa in that sense has 4, but Tampa being almost tropical saying 2 also makes sense. So it is best if we just set the seasonality aside. If a climate doesn’t keep snowpack for a month or more(that marks a real cold winter) and has hot summers it is subtropical, even if there is a million seasons. Lets get real here.

Yep I agree with you, most climates between tropics and poles are 4 season climates including some subtropicals.
Agreed.

A subtropical climate means mild winters and hot summers. This can include places like Washington DC with occasional winter snowfall and places like Brisbane with a year-round growing season.

Old 04-11-2024, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subtropical-is-temperate3 View Post
Well then what do you think I use in winter even here in FL, shorts? No I use jackets even here, just imagine Atlanta, way more. Well in FL winter is sweater weather, except Southern FL whoch is right tropical and sweater weather is occasional and not a norm, even shorts is a norm there. In Atlanta you fluctuate between sweater weather and very cold days of year jackets and even layers, but the winter days that reach 24°C, wearing shorts is normal, so it is mixed I guess. Well something I can assure you in Atlanta is sweaters always in entire season, here in FL sweaters are good but not always necessary(though in winter nights you will surely want them).
I mean, I got hit by a cold snap in St Pete one time, and found myself wearing a hoodie whilst walking palm-lined streets.

It is almost tropical but still subtropical, as cold snaps can still happen.

Old 04-12-2024, 12:20 PM

6,786 posts, read 4,224,158 times
I don't know how this is even a valid thread. Wellington is a temperate marine climate. It's similar to climates in places like Brittany, which no-one would consider subtropical.

Old 04-12-2024, 12:41 PM

377 posts, read 94,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
I don't know how this is even a valid thread. Wellington is a temperate marine climate. It's similar to climates in places like Brittany, which no-one would consider subtropical.
It's environment isn't similar to Brittany, and lacks dormancy unlike Atlanta, so it's really a discussion on why people get confused between ecology and climate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather