Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which one is more subtropical
Wellington, NZ 3 11.54%
Atlanta, GA 21 80.77%
Both in their way 2 7.69%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-15-2024, 12:17 PM
 
Location: New Zealand
444 posts, read 127,336 times
Reputation: 271

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
The leave change later in Atlanta, usually in November they are changing and falling even into December in recent years. Leaves come back in March.

That is beside the point of the winter season in Atlanta which is December-February based on stable average temperatures below 10c for those three months and lack of significant transition from month to month, which are aspects of the spring and fall seasons.

Atlanta is more subtropical than NZ but also more seasonal. It doesn't have to be one or the other. People outside of this forum DO exaggerate the Atlanta summers far more than the winters. People IRL from the north sometimes assume it is 90 degrees for 6 months straight and that it never goes below freezing. Just google something like 'atlanta weather reddit' and see what kind of perceptions people have outside of this specific forum
Atlanta being more seasonal, is what makes it environment less subtropical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-15-2024, 12:43 PM
 
Location: Augusta, Ga
408 posts, read 263,558 times
Reputation: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandshark View Post
Atlanta being more seasonal, is what makes it environment less subtropical.
I'm sure there's ice cap climates that are not that seasonal, I guess they are subtropical too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2024, 01:49 PM
 
Location: New Zealand
444 posts, read 127,336 times
Reputation: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emman85 View Post
I'm sure there's ice cap climates that are not that seasonal, I guess they are subtropical too.
False equivalvency.

Although like icecaps, Atlanta has an environment that can support less plant species than Wellington, due to cold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2024, 04:15 PM
 
52 posts, read 11,784 times
Reputation: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandshark View Post
False equivalvency.

Although like icecaps, Atlanta has an environment that can support less plant species than Wellington, due to cold.
And yet more plant and animal species are native to the southern USA than New Zealand. This is due to the superior warmth of the US south, in winter and summer, as compared to North Island.

Why are you lying?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2024, 04:24 PM
 
52 posts, read 11,784 times
Reputation: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandshark View Post
False equivalvency.

Although like icecaps, Atlanta has an environment that can support less plant species than Wellington, due to cold.
This is what's so insane about comments like this: New Zealand ranks below the UK in biodiversity, a sub-100 ranking. The USA ranks 10th, and a big part of that is due to plant and animal species inhabiting the wet and humid eastern part of the country.

Atlanta supports MORE plant species than Wellington. I don't know why you'd think to say the exact opposite. That is insane.

New Zealand ranks 89th, well below Canada, for its diversity of vascular plant species. The US ranks 11th, below Myanmar and above Venezuela.

https://worldrainforests.com/03plants.htm

https://worldrainforests.com/03highest_biodiversity.htm

This is why the narrative about the US on City-Data is so deranged. You're just lying about the extent to which non-native ornamentals can grow in NZ, and ignoring the superior biodiversity of the USA, which is the way it is for a reason. This is gaslighting, at this point. New Zealand bares more similarity to a, say, subpolar oceanic or ice cap climate than Atlanta REMOTELY does. It's far closer to a "subantarctic" climate and environment.

Last edited by jamesja; 04-15-2024 at 04:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2024, 06:24 PM
 
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
217 posts, read 65,005 times
Reputation: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesja View Post
This is what's so insane about comments like this: New Zealand ranks below the UK in biodiversity, a sub-100 ranking. The USA ranks 10th, and a big part of that is due to plant and animal species inhabiting the wet and humid eastern part of the country.

Atlanta supports MORE plant species than Wellington. I don't know why you'd think to say the exact opposite. That is insane.

New Zealand ranks 89th, well below Canada, for its diversity of vascular plant species. The US ranks 11th, below Myanmar and above Venezuela.

https://worldrainforests.com/03plants.htm

https://worldrainforests.com/03highest_biodiversity.htm

This is why the narrative about the US on City-Data is so deranged. You're just lying about the extent to which non-native ornamentals can grow in NZ, and ignoring the superior biodiversity of the USA, which is the way it is for a reason. This is gaslighting, at this point. New Zealand bares more similarity to a, say, subpolar oceanic or ice cap climate than Atlanta REMOTELY does. It's far closer to a "subantarctic" climate and environment.
The lack of cold Winter for coastal North Island and parts of the South Island allows for a large range of exotic plant species to be grown. In terms of natural environment New Zealand is small and isolated by comparison to USA so no surprise USA as a whole would have a larger biodiversity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2024, 07:15 PM
 
Location: New Zealand
444 posts, read 127,336 times
Reputation: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesja View Post
This is what's so insane about comments like this: New Zealand ranks below the UK in biodiversity, a sub-100 ranking. The USA ranks 10th, and a big part of that is due to plant and animal species inhabiting the wet and humid eastern part of the country.

Atlanta supports MORE plant species than Wellington. I don't know why you'd think to say the exact opposite. That is insane.

New Zealand ranks 89th, well below Canada, for its diversity of vascular plant species. The US ranks 11th, below Myanmar and above Venezuela.

https://worldrainforests.com/03plants.htm

https://worldrainforests.com/03highest_biodiversity.htm

This is why the narrative about the US on City-Data is so deranged. You're just lying about the extent to which non-native ornamentals can grow in NZ, and ignoring the superior biodiversity of the USA, which is the way it is for a reason. This is gaslighting, at this point. New Zealand bares more similarity to a, say, subpolar oceanic or ice cap climate than Atlanta REMOTELY does. It's far closer to a "subantarctic" climate and environment.
Why would Atlanta support more plant species than Wellington? Any plant species native to Atlanta will grow in Wellington, but the reverse isn't true.

NZ has been submerged multiple times,and much covered in ice during recent geological times. Also an island 1200 miles from the nearest land mass. But it manages about about 17% of the biodiversity of the US despite being less than 3% of the land area and not being connected to an even bigger landmass like the US is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2024, 08:49 PM
 
2,386 posts, read 1,888,000 times
Reputation: 2516
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandshark View Post
Atlanta being more seasonal, is what makes it environment less subtropical.
Unlike date palms, seasonality is technically a requirement for a subtropical climate. The climate must feature one cooler month below 18c and one warmer month above 22 degrees. This is actually what prevents Wellington from being even close to a subtropical climate due to the absolute lack of tropical heat at any point in the year. Wellington has a mild oceanic climate, while Atlanta is a typical example of the humid subtropical climate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2024, 10:01 PM
 
Location: New Zealand
444 posts, read 127,336 times
Reputation: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
Unlike date palms, seasonality is technically a requirement for a subtropical climate. The climate must feature one cooler month below 18c and one warmer month above 22 degrees. This is actually what prevents Wellington from being even close to a subtropical climate due to the absolute lack of tropical heat at any point in the year. Wellington has a mild oceanic climate, while Atlanta is a typical example of the humid subtropical climate.
Yes, there's quite a difference between the contrived notion of a subtropical climate,and the very real world of subtropical environment.


An environment does not always need more warmth for it to have greater biodiversity, sometimes it just needs less cold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2024, 05:38 AM
 
2,389 posts, read 1,112,768 times
Reputation: 3491
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandshark View Post
Yes, there's quite a difference between the contrived notion of a subtropical climate,and the very real world of subtropical environment.


An environment does not always need more warmth for it to have greater biodiversity, sometimes it just needs less cold.
Agreed.

Like when NYC is brought up as being so subtropical because of hot humid summer,
ignoring it has a colder winter than places in Northern Scotland!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

¬© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top