Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which one is more subtropical
Wellington, NZ 3 11.54%
Atlanta, GA 21 80.77%
Both in their way 2 7.69%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-17-2024, 09:01 PM
 
Location: New Zealand
444 posts, read 127,336 times
Reputation: 271

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subtropical-is-temperate3 View Post
And when jamesja sid Atlanta is not winter jacket weather, I really don’t get it. I was raised in the northern deep south of US most of my life, and guess what I used in winter, jackets!!! Well most of the time it was 4-13°C. Well anything below 18°C chills me down, but I don’t really feel heavy cold until 0°C, -2 or -3°C, or colder. It got days above 20°C, there I could go outside, even it shorts. Though I prefer 25°C ir more. Not to mentioned it got to 22°C in winter, that feels hot in the season so yep shorts.
I guess it also depends what is meant by a winter jacket. To me it means a ski jacket, or possibly a jacket that you would only ever wear during winter - I don't think I've ever worn a ski jacket, unless I'm in the mountains, and I don't have a jacket specifically for winter.

Can still get cold here, with a -3C morning and a steady breeze not unusual. Out with the wool sweater or fleece hoodie on such mornings, although would usually be too warm to wear all day. I enjoy a nice cold, rainy blustery day, because it does give a valid reason to wrap up. But for the most part, winter wear is just summer wear, with a warm top, and socks and boots.

Average six days a year with a maximum of 10C/50F or lower, which wouldn't be too challenging for most people from Europe or most of the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-17-2024, 09:08 PM
 
Location: St. Petersburg, Florida
485 posts, read 113,083 times
Reputation: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandshark View Post
I guess it also depends what is meant by a winter jacket. To me it means a ski jacket, or possibly a jacket that you would only ever wear during winter - I don't think I've ever worn a ski jacket, unless I'm in the mountains, and I don't have a jacket specifically for winter.

Can still get cold here, with a -3C morning and a steady breeze not unusual. Out with the wool sweater or fleece hoodie on such mornings, although would usually be too warm to wear all day. I enjoy a nice cold, rainy blustery day, because it does give a valid reason to wrap up.

But for the most part, winter wear is just summer wear, with a warm top, and socks and boots.
I’ve noticed, your winters are similar to US south, I checked data similar averages, but it barely gets the deep freeze like Atlanta does it goes down to -10°C every year and sometimes lower, but some years got up to 25°C.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2024, 09:10 PM
 
Location: St. Petersburg, Florida
485 posts, read 113,083 times
Reputation: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandshark View Post
I guess it also depends what is meant by a winter jacket. To me it means a ski jacket, or possibly a jacket that you would only ever wear during winter - I don't think I've ever worn a ski jacket, unless I'm in the mountains, and I don't have a jacket specifically for winter.

Can still get cold here, with a -3C morning and a steady breeze not unusual. Out with the wool sweater or fleece hoodie on such mornings, although would usually be too warm to wear all day. I enjoy a nice cold, rainy blustery day, because it does give a valid reason to wrap up. But for the most part, winter wear is just summer wear, with a warm top, and socks and boots.

Average six days a year with a maximum of 10C/50F or lower, which wouldn't be too challenging for most people from Europe or most of the US.
That sounds, nice. Atlanta averages 1 day a year that doesn’t surpass freezing, crazy! Here where I am currently averages 1 frost a year, actually no, here is 2 or 3 years a frost, Tampa not far is a frost a year average. This year I went to Tampa one morning, it was 1°C, that was it for this year, but a few days after we got a low of 18°C with a high of 28°C, so this climate is actually nearly tropical with an average of 17°C coldest month.

I saw the data of Motueka summers, that is sweater weather for me, just to think Today here reached 30°C and it’s not even summer yet. Atlanta will get 31°C tomorrow or higher, it is literally middle spring in US, and this is normal. I was raised in northern Alabama and in April which is middle spring some days got up to 30°C, and by May some days reached 35°C! Well some days in April had frost before, but in May the lowest I remember is 3°C. April and May in their normal weather of Atlanta kind of resemble your summers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2024, 09:13 PM
 
Location: New Zealand
444 posts, read 127,336 times
Reputation: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subtropical-is-temperate3 View Post
I’ve noticed, your winters are similar to US south, I checked data similar averages, but it barely gets the deep freeze like Atlanta does it goes down to -10°C every year and sometimes lower, but some years got up to 25°C.
I would say a maximum anywhere between 12C and 16C would be considered normal for winter. Average warmest over the last 20 winters is between 18-19C with a record high of 23C. Coldest winter in the last 23 years only reached 16.8C .

39 nights at freezing or lower, but the average coldest is about -4C, which is only 2.2C warmer than the all time record coldest minimum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2024, 09:18 PM
 
Location: St. Petersburg, Florida
485 posts, read 113,083 times
Reputation: 76
DC will be 26 or 27°C tomorrow, pretty typical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2024, 09:20 PM
 
Location: St. Petersburg, Florida
485 posts, read 113,083 times
Reputation: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandshark View Post
I would say a maximum anywhere between 12C and 16C would be considered normal for winter. Average warmest over the last 20 winters is between 18-19C with a record high of 23C. Coldest winter in the last 23 years only reached 16.8C .

39 nights at freezing or lower, but the average coldest is about -4C, which is only 2.2C warmer than the all time record coldest minimum.
Yep that sounds a bit similar, so if a person went from Atlanta to NZ for their winter, they will feel normal there, but the fact that is summer in Atlanta in the time well they will die!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2024, 09:22 PM
 
Location: New Zealand
444 posts, read 127,336 times
Reputation: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subtropical-is-temperate3 View Post
DC will be 26 or 27°C tomorrow, pretty typical.
My September is 3C warmer than DC's March, but DC's April is 2C warmer than my October.

Certainly not the hot summer of DC, but I'm guessing the summer sun in DC lacks the bite of here, from what I've been told.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2024, 09:46 PM
 
Location: New Zealand
444 posts, read 127,336 times
Reputation: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subtropical-is-temperate3 View Post
That sounds, nice. Atlanta averages 1 day a year that doesn’t surpass freezing, crazy! Here where I am currently averages 1 frost a year, actually no, here is 2 or 3 years a frost, Tampa not far is a frost a year average. This year I went to Tampa one morning, it was 1°C, that was it for this year, but a few days after we got a low of 18°C with a high of 28°C, so this climate is actually nearly tropical with an average of 17°C coldest month.

I saw the data of Motueka summers, that is sweater weather for me, just to think Today here reached 30°C and it’s not even summer yet. Atlanta will get 31°C tomorrow or higher, it is literally middle spring in US, and this is normal. I was raised in northern Alabama and in April which is middle spring some days got up to 30°C, and by May some days reached 35°C! Well some days in April had frost before, but in May the lowest I remember is 3°C. April and May in their normal weather of Atlanta kind of resemble your summers.
I've heard people say this before on here, but I doubt you would wearing a sweater here in summer in reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2024, 05:25 AM
 
2,389 posts, read 1,112,768 times
Reputation: 3491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subtropical-is-temperate3 View Post
DC will be 26 or 27°C tomorrow, pretty typical.
Hmmm....I checked 1991-2020 Normals for DC Reagan Airport....

Average April high is 20C

Average May high is 24.7C

Average June high is 29.5C

So....26-27C is normal for late May/early June...

Pretty typical for April?.....yeah sure....but even parts of southern Canada can and do get 26-27C days in April...

Last edited by GTB365; 04-18-2024 at 05:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2024, 07:45 AM
 
Location: Victoria, BC, Canada
5,753 posts, read 3,570,425 times
Reputation: 2668
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandshark View Post
I've heard people say this before on here, but I doubt you would wearing a sweater here in summer in reality.
Have you ever been to the US Southeast in summer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top